Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Family Issues

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1
mauilauren

Marriage

So what is the deal about marriage? A religious bond between two individuals? What about all those rights you get as a married couple. Supposidly less taxes, rights? No, this is not a rant about same-sex marriage. Its a rant about me.
I live with my boyfriend. I want to recieve the financial benefits of being married, but I do not want our bond to be through a religious estabilshment. Why can't we be married without the religon. Why can't it simply be an honest and loving commitment?

So many questions, do you have the answers?
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Tammy

Since you're a presumably a heterosexual couple (since this isn't a rant on same-sex marriage) you can have all the rights with none of the religion.

It's called a civil marriage and the ceremony is usually carried out by a Justice of the Peace. JP's are a legal designation, not a religious one. When you're finished, you're married in the eyes of the law and have all the legal benefits, but you're not married in the eyes of the church.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

I agree with Tammy! Your decision regarding religion I feel is more of a personal choice. Yet remember when you have children, then there is where the crux may happen. This is where you can strike a compromise. If I was you, I would do this prior to marriage. Even if you have to write it out and have witnesses to it. This way there wont be any misunderstandings later on. I hope this helps.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #4
chajan14

You can choose to be married in front of a judge instead. Marriage in church can be equated to blessing your relationship. But if you're not comfortable about those, I respect your views.
chajan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Elusive Unicorn

To bad they don't do handfasting anymore. You said you were married in front of a witness and you were for a year. Then you could do it again if it worked out. I love the vikking way of divorce too. If a woman didn't want to be married any more to the man she would walk though the threshold declare her intent and no more marriage.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Sophia

I agree with girls. You can choose to be married in front of a judge without the religion. Anyway, the most important thing is the liaison you have with your boyfriend. You love him, live with him... this is important. Neither religion nor a judge will give you these connections you have with him.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #7
iampat

Talking

If I am correct, you can just go to your local courthouse and get married. The marriage is legally binding and allows for the tax benefits, insurance benefits, etc. If you're truly happy and in love with with your significant other, then this kind of civil union is something that could work for you. Good luck with your decision.
iampat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Elusive Unicorn

Well if you live with the guy long enough there is always common law marriage. Thats only if you live in certain states. I don't think where I live that they do that anymore but I could be wrong.