Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Pets

Old July 18th, 2001, 09:47 AM   #16
Ayla

Hey frozen!

I wish I could help but I can't. We have a perticular section of carpet in our house that has had the stench of dog urine off and on for nearly 20 years now. That happend with my first dog, Nikki, a poodle with a bladder problem. Now we are into the 3rd and 4th dog since him (a cocker-bishon cross named Chauncy and a heinz 57 {my boy} named Max) and still the stench persists from time to time, but only when the humidity is up.

I have been trying to convince the powers that be to rip that carpet out and replace it for the last 10 years or more............. that is the only solution I can see at this point.

<font color=red>
Old July 18th, 2001, 02:01 PM   #17
DrHilieWho

This is the absolute best site in the world when it comes to fixing stuff in your house. Doityourself.com

I found the following article on urine/feces stains and odors. It covers everything from immediate action to moving into a house with leftover smells. Good luck! http://doityourself.com/pets/oops.htm
Old July 18th, 2001, 06:54 PM   #18
ScoobyDoo

frozen hun go to a pet store and get one of thier carpet cleaners.. make sure it has enzymes in it. They help neutralize pet odors.. even old ones. May take a few times scrubbing it and alot of elbow grease but it does work. I have two male cats as you know *grin* and the oldest has sprayed in the house a few times. Resolve has a good pet cleaner but if these are old stains it may be best to pay a little more and get a heavy duty cleaner.
Old July 19th, 2001, 12:24 AM   #19
Muskrat

Wink

when my dog was on steroid pills he peed every 5 seconds, it got so bad we just went around spraying prosolve on it and letting the stuff air-dry (I know its disgusting, but the carpet in our rental suite is so old they're gonna replace it after we move out anyways), I never smell anything... maybe coz our house is so full of dust the pee molecules can't get through HAHAHA but prosolve seems to work for us...
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2001, 10:57 AM   #20
DrHilieWho

ROFL!
Old July 22nd, 2001, 04:06 PM   #21
frozen5

Thanks Thanks!!!!! Especially for that sight! I have a list of things to try now! If they don't eat the odor they are sure to eat my carpet! lol And if I could afford it right now I would just replace the carpet but right now that is not going to happen. And of course my little Parker is here to stay. He's just to cute! lol Thanks Again!
frozen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2001, 11:16 PM   #22
Clara

Dog Lover

I am needing some help from you women. I have lived with a pooch all of my life and am suddenly in a situation that I do not have the opportunity to have a dog in my life at this time. I long for animals to be around--however my family seemed to go thru pets like most people went thru bread. I don't want to do that to myself again nor do I want to put a dog in a bad situation and have to send it to another home. (been really down thinking about not having a pup here in my life now) I really want to be a responsible woman as I see that as a beautiful asset for a woman or any person for that matter to possess.

Its getting to be a reality that we will soon be able to live in a place where we can have a dog. As well, I have done my research and found that I want a "rescue" dog. And I have even gotten breed specific---!!!

Can anyone give me some good ideas as to what they were looking for when they found their dog? I want this to be the right thing (unlike what my family did)!

How do I know which dog is the right dog with me and my husband? Is there a trick to this?

Thanks

Clara
Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2001, 12:40 PM   #23
frozen5

If there is a way to know what pet is best for you I have yet to find it. I think that making the most of the pet you choose is what helps it work.
frozen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2001, 01:37 PM   #24
Clara

The perfect pet

Thanks for your feedback Frozen5. I am beginning to think that the right pet is a mechanical one that you can buy through sharper images for about 200.00. Would save a lot of trouble.

Clara
Old September 8th, 2001, 02:37 PM   #25
mickey

I would think that it would depend on where you live and how time you can give the dog. Like a fenced yard, lots of running room, that kind of thing.

Then you might want to check the characteristics of each breed and find one that fits you lifestyle. Then get a mut that is mostly that breed <g>

I'm a firm believer in getting my pets from Humaine socities because I know those animals need the homes.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2001, 07:58 PM   #26
Lou
Idealist

Dog choosing. LOL I just pick the cute needy one.

Here's an online test that might help...

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/dogselectapet2.html

A couple of years back, many of us here had fun taking an online text that matched personality with the right dog. I think that test was at emode.com

Woof!
Old April 13th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #27
Sunshine
Let the sunshine in!

Exclamation Finding Fido

Fido must live with all of you, because frankly, I am having a heck of a time finding him. My husband and I live in apartment buildings and would love to have a dog...but we have not found one yet that is best suited for us....Does anyone have any good ideas on mellow dogs that do well living in apartment buildings yet will get out and be social and friendly when need be? Thanks Sunshine!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 07:30 PM   #28
Sunshine
Let the sunshine in!

Smile Lovable dogs

If you are looking for a dog that you can love.....will you please consider going to this website and checking your state for a golden retriever who needs a home. They are mostly adult dogs- which can be a nice benefit because you will not have to go thru potty training or chewing in most situations. Here is the web site....lots of cute dogs to look at all over the country. http://www.golden-retriever.com/ Enjoy! Sunshine!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #29
sunflower

Our Dog

We have a Yellow labrador retreiver her name is Daisy. She is as much a part of this family as I am.We taught her to fetch the paper from the end of the driveway.Sometimes she will even bring the neighbors lol. As her breed this dog loves water and we have gone through many kiddie pools. Bathing is no problem with these dogs.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #30
susieBsnowflake

4 months ago we got the greatest dog on earth. Most of you have probably heard me talking about "Mikey" in the room. He is a MinPin, which is short for Miniature Pinscher. He is so sweet, and definitely over the chewing, or sometimes destructive "puppy" stage, because he is 5 yrs old. We got him from a shelter organization near us, here in Canada. But we found that organization and Mikey, through this awesome website www.petfinder.org

On this site, you enter your zip or postal code, and it brings up a list of many, many dogs in your particular area that are looking for homes. You can find any breed on there, and so many of them are sooooo cute.
susieBsnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote