Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Forum Information > Meet the WOW Staff!

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2001, 07:45 AM   #121
BirdWOW

Good morning, Scribe!

(/me walks past the crowd wearing rubber ducky swim ring and HUGE sunglasses.) I'm going for a swim. (I think those camels are giving me evil looks.)

I love Edward Gorey, too. Jef has some of his books, but not that one, I looked.
Old February 23rd, 2001, 09:16 AM   #122
CookieWOW

Cool

Get the Gorey alphabet poster. Study it. Then read Frued's essay "The Uncanny." That will make your weekend unique ;-)

((((((Liam)))))) I am tempted to be bitter about being stuck in a thick fog at work. We're to have a massive thunderstorm, then an ice storm, then snow all evening through saturday. Sigh.
Old February 23rd, 2001, 09:34 AM   #123
MoonWOW
WOW Host

um....

I have THAT book!!!

(no, I don't really....but I KNOW FOR A FACT that LiamFan just gasped)

Right ((((LiamFan))))?? ;-) Have a great day!

Happy Friday (((everyone)))
Old February 23rd, 2001, 10:55 AM   #124
LiamFan!

<font size=6>Ha ha ha ha ha!</font>

A whole series of thought processes just had me thinking about the Norwegian bakery and those cloudberry horns...

{{{{Moon}}}} You crack me up.

{{{{Cookie}}}} Hope the fog lifts!

{{{{Bird}}}} Look at you all decked out in your beachwear! I put the camels on a shorter chain, so you should be safe.

{{{{{Everyone}}}}} Have a great Friday!
Old February 23rd, 2001, 10:59 AM   #125
Vickie

[okay, i had to go back and edit because this new-fangled system had me a wee bit confused, and i missed about six posts!]

i'm not surprised that the people who frequent this folder like edward gorey, because he's kewl. <g>

i went to the sites you suggested, les, and the book was featured a few times at various prices...nothing that grabbed me, though, since most descriptions included the words "worn" or "torn." LOL. but i'm gonna keep looking!

and i said "other than ebay" because i'd already looked there and saw that they just had two. LOL.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{everybody}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old February 23rd, 2001, 11:04 AM   #126
MoonWOW
WOW Host

ROFL (((Liam)))...only *I* could follow that entire thought process to the cloudberry horns!! :-D
Old February 23rd, 2001, 11:09 AM   #127
Lou
Idealist

Wink But but but "worn" means READ!

I have a used book that I bought years ago at Moe's in Berkeley, of Aubrey Beardsley's drawings. And oh how I love it. Someone names "Dave Marshall" wrote his name inside the book, so I got to buy it for only $7. It is large, hardback, has thick pages, and begins with an essay by Arthur Symons, who knew Beardsley.

Which is all to say . . . get thee to a used book store!

(((((Les & Good Friends)))))
Old February 23rd, 2001, 12:07 PM   #128
SereneWOW

Ok, I'll be the one to ask...

Who is Edward Gorey?
Old February 23rd, 2001, 12:32 PM   #129
Lou
Idealist

Talking K is for Kids

Hi (((((Serene))))) Edward Gorey was an author and illustrator whose work is darkly ironic. He appeals to the intellectual and to the fright fan--an odd rope to walk. You can see one of his drawings here . . .

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/9167/edward06.JPG
Old February 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM   #130
Vickie

<font size=-3>psst...lou...you forgot to mention that he's kewl. <g> </font>
Old February 23rd, 2001, 05:23 PM   #131
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

Arrrrggghhhh! What a day! For starters, I broke my front tooth late last night while munching raw almonds. About 1/3 of it broke off lengthwise, nearest the middle, and it looks absolutely horrid. At least it doesn't hurt. Of *couse* my dentist is out on Fridays, and his backup is the Butcher of Irvine - I'll never go to the backup again after one gruesome experience. I finally dug up an old pager number for my dentist, and though he answered my page, he's out of town, so I'm stuck with this unsightly fang until at least Monday. My dentist is a good guy, but I despise his office staff, so I implored him when he called to make sure his office staff worked me in. We'll see. Ack! Another expensive, painful trip to the dentist! And I had to cancel my truck's appointment for Monday, because the tooth takes priority. Now watch them say they can't work me in for a few weeks - and that wedding I just spent *bucks* on a dress for is in exactly 2 weeks! Ack!<p>
But that's not all...they turned off our power today, on a cold, rainy morning, for some kind of equipment maintenance. I had a *whole day's* warning (really it would have been two days' warning, but I didn't get my mail Wednesday night. Doh!) So, I bought ice last night, and filled a cooler with water and sodas, and placed candles in strategic places like the bathroom counter. I made sure the old-fashioned phone's ringer was on, and rode it out. The power went down promptly at 9 am, and came back on when I was napping about 12:30 or 1 pm. Thank goodness!!! The outage was scheduled to last until 3 pm, so 1 seemed like a reprieve. Anyway, now I have power, but have only opened the freezer once to quickly grab a chicken pot pie to nuke, and the fridge for less than a second to make sure it really came back on - it's really an old fridge, so I hate to take it for granted. Since I left the fridge and freezer clossed throughout the power outage, I'm hoping I didn't lose any food. I'll give it a couple more hours without opening the doors again to chill back down and hope for the best.<p>
Oh, and now it's *hailing* outside! Yikes!<p>
Hope you are all having a better day than I am!
Old February 23rd, 2001, 05:36 PM   #132
Lou
Idealist

Unhappy

(((((biker))))) You poor babe! And what a hail storm--whoa! My neighbor was out with her camera, but Tibet and I stayed right here where it's warm and dry. Here's another hug for all you've endured . . . (((((biker)))))

Hi (((((Les)))))!
Old February 23rd, 2001, 05:40 PM   #133
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

{{{{{{{Lou}}}}}}} Thanks!!! It got *really* cold in here, so I wrapped up in a blanket (while already wearing sweats) and started reading Lord of the Rings. That's when I fell asleep! LOL!
Old February 23rd, 2001, 06:13 PM   #134
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

{{{{{Les}}}}} Didn't mean to miss hugging you when I was spinning my tale of woe!<p>
{{{{{Moon}}}}} {{{{{Cookie}}}}} {{{{{Gail}}}}} {{{{{Vickie}}}}} {{{{{Returning Folder Friends}}}}}
Old February 23rd, 2001, 06:57 PM   #135
Vickie

{{{{{{{{{{{{biker}}}}}}}}}}} ack -- what a crummy series of events! although, maybe once the horror of it all passes, we can at least keep you laughing about it by devising some kind of silly nickname for you. <g>

</i>i had a hyper-productive day as i waited for an interview. turns out my interviewee is also having a day from hell so the interview has been rescheduled for next week.

and now, i'm going to dust and vacuum so that i have the weekend free from chores!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{everybody}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Closed Thread