Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old October 8th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #136
Lou
Idealist

I used my handy computer calculator to figure that this rate of speed comes to 1,666 words per days. On my best days, while I was writing the novel for my masters thesis, I could do 1,000 words a day. Man. This would mean giving up sleep time, at my advanced age. Could I? What would I write about? Maybe that west coast guy whose name I can't remember, the one with the AA sober pals and the Middle Eastern girlfriend and the meddlesome mother. I created him back when we were holding weekly writing workshops in chat.

What a challenge. Hmmm. At that rate, there'd be no time to strategize--just write and write. That might be fun.
Old October 8th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #137
LiamFan!

And if you go to their site, that's what they want you to do. There are no expectations that these will be great -- or even GOOD -- novels.

No revising...just writing. This might be what I need (although it has to be new material...and it will be...I've had something brewing for a bit now, waiting to get it onto paper).

Check out the site, Lou!
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #138
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

"The Botany of Desire"

Hi! Remember me from waaayyy back when? <p>
I borrowed "The Botany of Desire" from my boss, because he really enjoyed it, and hasn't steered me wrong yet. I like the premise that the plants Pollan discusses have benefitted from their "interaction" with humans, and have in turn influenced humanity. So, now that I'm all pumped up about it again, I'm hoping to get past the Intro (this time!) and really read it. It's SO much more fun to read a book if there is someone (or several people) with whom to discuss it. So, maybe I'll dive in this weekend.

In my current backlog of books to read: "The Shelters of Stone" by Jean Auel, as I've enjoyed the first several books of the series (except one--"The Mammoth Hunters," I think, where they spend a winter in a lodge with a tribe they meet on their journey, and it deteriorates into an infuriating harlequin-romance style book with stupid grudges and confusions that could have been worked out with a civil conversation. ). But the rest have been well-researched, insightful, entertaining, and well worth the read. I have high hopes for "The Shelters of Stone." In this latest book, they finally make it back to Jondular's people, and Ayla is pregnant with his baby. It should be very cool if Auel is still up to form.<p>
Then, Robert Jordan is supposed to come out with the next book in his Wheel of Time fantasy series (hopefully in November), and I'm REALLY hooked on that series!<p>
Only *slightly* off-topic, I'm very anxious to see "Memoirs of a Geisha" when the movie comes out, because the book was so compelling! I hope they capture as much as possible of the essence of the book in the movie.<p>
Good to see you all again!
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:22 PM   #139
Lou
Idealist

Hey! ((((((((Biker)))))))) There's my pal!
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:04 AM   #140
Terri

Hiya (((Biker)))! Memoirs is going to be a movie? Great stuff I loved that book. I just finished reading The Four Seasons.
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #141
susieB28

has anyone ever read the "Midwife" series by Gay Courter? I thought it was awesome.
Old October 29th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #142
Buglady
Da Bug

I just finised reading a book called "Face The Fire" by Nora Roberts. It was really a good book. All about witches, their power and love (of course). But nevertheless, it was a good read. Rather appropriate for the Halloween season :-)
Buglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:13 AM   #143
sunflower

Books

I love to read and if the book is good enough I will finish it that day or night. My favourite author is Nora Roberts. There are not to many books by her that I have not read. I have also read Luanne Rice's Firefly series and just loved it.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM   #144
annebebe

I love books about people, and read a lot of autobiographies. I don't read much fiction, but like Meave Binchy. One of her books was made into a Minnie Driver film, 'Circle of Friends'. Is she known outside Ireland and Britain?
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:14 PM   #145
LiamFan!

She's popular in the U.S., and so was the movie "Circle of Friends."

I haven't read anything by Ms. Binchy, but nearly everyone else I know has.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:38 PM   #146
annebebe

That's wonderful that she is known abroad! If you get the chance to see her interviewed, she is just the most modest, funny and endearing celebrity I have heard!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:05 PM   #147
QuietWoman

She IS sweet annebebe I agree and her books are lovely. They always make me want to visit Ireland again. So, whereabouts are you then? (I'm a Brit too!)

I haven't read any Nora Roberts ....

((((Biker)))) LTNS!!

Anyone read Tracy Chevalier's latest? It's called Virgin Blue and (again, it's her third book) I found it really interesting. This one is about France and Switzerland and Hugenots and a modern day American woman making big life decisions.

((((((((Book-gals))))))))))
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:09 PM   #148
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

THANK YOU (((Q-ie)))! I didn't know she had a third out. I loved the first two, especially Falling Angels.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:22 PM   #149
QuietWoman

(((((((((Cod-the-great-reader))))))))))

Glad you liked them too, hon
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:53 PM   #150
sunflower

Books

Just a point of interest.Any one who likes Nora Roberts will like Luanne Rice. I just finished (Safe Harbour)and loved it but it is sad in a way.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote