Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old February 28th, 2001, 12:34 PM   #16
mags

Amy and Isabelle is a movie!

Any and Isabelle is going to be a movie and it actually is this Sunday. Elizabeth Shue is going to play the character of Isabelle. It should be interesting to see her take on such a mature role.
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2001, 05:08 PM   #17
Christy

Amy and Isabelle

Hey mags,

I finished reading the book "Amy and Isabelle" too and I thought it was the greatest book I have read! I heard there is going to be a movie on TV based on the book. Does anyone have any information?
Old February 28th, 2001, 08:52 PM   #18
Zylphan

Cool

Kathe, I have just started reading that series of books. So far I have only read the first two books, but I like the characters. I'm really hooked on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series too. I've read all but the latest one of them. It is my favorite fantasy series yet.
Old March 1st, 2001, 03:51 PM   #19
mags

Talking Amy and Isabelle

Hi Christy! Amy and Isabelle is going to follow the book pretty closely. Elisabeth Shue will play Isabelle. It is going to air Sunday on ABC. I found this great trailer/commercial for it here:

http://allyourtv.com/shows/specials/...myandisabelle/

check it out, it's really great! -mags
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2001, 04:30 PM   #20
tupi

I'm always amazed at the variety of books we enjoy. I guess that's why libraries are so popular. I just finished Laurie R. King's <u>Night Work</u>. I'm a major fan of King. She writes police procedurals based on a lesbian detective named Kate Martinelli. She also does a series of very entertaining mysteries based on the "wife" of Sherlock Holmes, aka Mary Russell.

If you like books to rip your heart and cry by, try <u>Firebird</u> and <u>The Falconer</u>. I don't like books that make me cry. They piss me off. These two were love stories that were .. well, lovely.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2001, 07:11 PM   #21
MommaD

I bought 3 Nora Roberts books today. If my family comes looking for me, tell them you haven't seen me and that I won't be available <s>until I'm done reading</s> for a while.
MommaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2001, 10:14 AM   #22
CerealMom

Finally getting around to reading Hannibal, what a delightful story.
CerealMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2001, 10:35 AM   #23
tupi

MommaD I've read all of Nora Robert's books. I haven't been able to get into her last trilogy. I enjoy her books, they may not be statements on social status, they may have little literary stature, but I enjoy the hell out of them. They are simply good stories, with fun characters, and interesting plots. Unlike most "romance" novels they aren't all the same story with new locations either. I'm not much of a book snob. I like to read for entertainment, and I'm easily entertained.

CerealMom, I read <u>Hannibal</u>. It was gruesome, I expected it to be. It was also somewhat surprising. I didn't expect some parts of it. I believe it ended the only way it could. I liked it. I won't bother with the movie, but I liked the book. I liked <u>Silence of the Lambs</u>, too. I'm an eclectic reader, I guess.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2001, 01:10 PM   #24
QuietWoman

Gosh, tupi, you're a brver woman than I!

I bought <i>Girl Interrupted</i> today, as one of my books for the flight - so don't tell me if you think it's terrible, I need to get really into a book when I'm on one of those trans-atlantic things!

QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2001, 07:42 PM   #25
MommaD

I rarely read "intellectual" books. I spend all my time working my brain at work and working my brain raising my family. Reading is MY time, so I read purely for entertainment. When I read I want to laugh and maybe sometimes drop a tear, but I never want to have to work at it. That's part of why I don't often post in the books folder. Everyone else reads books that I would find too "heavy" for pure entertainment and the books I read are often considered "fluff". But that's ok, too. That means I'm keeping authors in business that might otherwise not find an audience. LOL
MommaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2001, 08:58 PM   #26
LiamFan!

Girl, Interrupted

I liked it, Quiet.

I haven't seen the movie.

Old March 3rd, 2001, 07:36 AM   #27
QuietWoman

Thanks Liam

Nope, I haven't seen the movie, either.
Old March 3rd, 2001, 11:56 AM   #28
Lou
Idealist

Look at all you book lovers!

I'm an English major and an English teacher, so working at a book is fun to me. But that doesn't mean that I don't see all the myriad of reasons to read. Shoot, when I have a student (I teach at college level) who tells me that she doesn't like to read, never did, I advise her to read ANYTHING, read what she likes, read the back of the cereal box while she eats breakfast! Anything! Just read.

A few years ago, I started a book club at the college where I work, a monthly discussion group for faculty and staff. And the club has become popular. We call ourselves the Bookies, and each month, the members (not I) choose the book we will read, so I have to read a range of things to keep up, some of which I think are horrid, some of which I find sublime.

For March, we are reading "House of Sand and Fog" (one that I think Terri mentioned earlier). I started it last night, got through the Persian narrator's chapter, and found the reading thick and slow. But I read slowly.

So, thanks to all of you for posting your book suggestions. Keep it up!

(((((BookLovers)))))
Old March 3rd, 2001, 05:36 PM   #29
QuietWoman

(((((((Lou)))))))) And we all *know* what a teacher you must be - as your enthusiasm is so infectious - right here, right now

The only reading group I belong to reads feminist theory - my sister is in two fiction reading groups ... which makes me kinda jealous!
Old March 3rd, 2001, 06:23 PM   #30
Terri

I consider this my book club and I am a respecter of all readers no matter what they read. I do not judge a book by its cover, literally or figurativly. Because one person reads Tolstoy and loves it and another finds Cookson fascinating, does not make one better than the other it just goes to prove the old addage, "variety is the spice of life." It keeps all the authors busy writing us what we crave and that is the printed word. When I was five years old I deciphered the code and began to read on my own. What a wonderful thing this was. It meant that I didn't have to wait for my mother to find time to read me Curious George or Mikle Mulligan and His Steamshovel, or Hans Christian Anderson, I could pick it up at any moment and treat myself. I devoured our encyclopedias and dictionaries. By the time I turned seven, whet to first grade, and got handed my first Dick & Jane reader I took one look and read that reader from cover to cover on the shcool bus going home. The next day handing it back to my teacher and asking for another one. Reading grounds me, takes me away, informs me, makes me wonder, feeds my intellect, feeds my carnality, broadens my interests, builds my vocabulary, makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me mad, enriches my soul! I love this folder, thank you Lou and all the readers who contribute with their priceless reccomendations.