Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old November 4th, 2001, 12:29 PM   #76
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I just finished book 9 of the Left Behind series....

Now I have to wait till spring 2002 for #10.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 08:52 AM   #77
Terri

I'm jealous....I am reading ASIAN ARTS by John LaPlant who is the most boring writer in the history of the world and HUMAN INHERITANCE AND REPRODUCTION which runs a close second. Who writes these textbooks? I can't wait for the semester end so I can read what I like again! Although I am reading a book titled Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado (I love his books)a chapter a day.
Old November 7th, 2001, 04:36 PM   #78
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Listen up Lou, because this is SO eerie....

I went in search of something to read on the NEW BOOKS shelf of our little local library. Now you know the little river town I live in, right? I mean Gone With The Wind is still on the NEW BOOKS shelf. <g>

Anyway, the very first book I put my hand on was called Falling Angels. I flipped to the inside to see what it was about and it read "In her new book, Falling Angels, Tracy Chevalier, author of ....GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING <!>, again dazzles us with...yada, yada, yada... (because by then I *HAD* to have it!) I mean who wouldn't remember THAT title, right?

I'll let you know.....

Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 01:17 PM   #79
Lou
Idealist

LOL That <u>is</u> eerie!

I'm waiting for the review of Falling Angels. Meanwhile, I still recommend Girl With A Pearl Earring--especially for the artist in you.

This one ought to bring LiamFan into the folder. I am reading Iain Bank's novel, The Wasp Factory, about a 16-year-old Scottish boy who does <u>very</u> creepy things. Yikes.
Old November 9th, 2001, 01:44 PM   #80
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

She's on her way to B&N right now! ;-)

I'll be writing that review just as soon as I read more than the cover. I DO INTEND TO! ;-) I will most probably get the Pearl Earring one too, as I tend to follow an author until I exhaust their collection. <g> Thanks Lou!

I'll be back with that review before ....let me check the little card in the pocket....Nov. 21, '01.
Old November 9th, 2001, 04:01 PM   #81
LiamFan!

Okay, a trip to B&N is in order <G>

{{{Lou}}} {{{Cod}}}

I'll turn my radar off now. ;-)
Old November 13th, 2001, 12:48 PM   #82
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I FINISHED IT! <g> I'm ashamed to say that I've left quite a few books unfinished lately, but not THIS one!

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier was wonderful. It takes place in early 20th century London and the characters face the great changes that were taking place politically and socially at that time. It's based on the thoughts and feelings of two very different families, the mothers and daughters, especially. I loved the way it was written. The author doesn't use a lot of unnecessary words to get the story across. It has so much more of an impact that way. So, I will follow her example and only say....

Read this book. :-)

(now, of course, Lou, I'm off to look for Girl With a Pearl Earring)

Old November 13th, 2001, 01:08 PM   #83
LiamFan!

Oh, and I don't suppose it would shock you all too much to know that I got a copy of The Wasp Factory...

Thanks, Lou. <g>
Old November 13th, 2001, 01:50 PM   #84
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Oh you did? I'll be darned.

Old November 13th, 2001, 04:06 PM   #85
QuietWoman

Oh, she's written something else!!

The Pearl Earring lass is still up on my wall (I hadda go find a print to download, after reading that book) so I'm off to get the new one.

Thank you ((((((Cod))))))!!
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2001, 06:13 PM   #86
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Well I walked into our little local library and went to the shelf of "new" books again, and there was Girl With a Pearl Earring. There are maybe only 20 books on that shelf. How lucky am *I*?

I went to look for Iain Bank and was unsuccessful but found The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing (which is not about THAT) by Melissa Bank and took that home. ;-)

(((Lou and Q-ie))) I'll let you know.... :-)
Old November 13th, 2001, 09:15 PM   #87
LiamFan!

Okay, Lou, my favorite line so far in Banks' book is:

"The buggers've learned to fly."
Old November 14th, 2001, 01:06 AM   #88
Lou
Idealist

((((Cod)))) Now I might just have to read Falling Angels, too. Sure hope youlike Girl With A Pearl just as much. A pearl of a girl. :-)

Hiya (((((((Quietude)))))))!!!

((((Les)))) Okay, now listen, I am into laughing at Frank at this point. Wait until you see what happens to Esmeralda. =8-0 That kid's concentration and island set up is going to fill my dreams. Did you read that Banks' book was voted by Brits as among the 100 best books of the 20th century? I heard about it through my very bizarre friend Michelle, who has her students reading it for a class. She was the one who put me onto Geek Love several years ago. Now THAT is a wild novel. Oh, and Cod--be careful. This book is not for everyone. ;-)
Old November 14th, 2001, 09:01 AM   #89
LiamFan!

You know...I kind of <i>like</i> Frank! (I know you knew that I would...LOL) {{{{Lou}}}} Thank your friend for me!

(And thank YOU, too)
Old November 14th, 2001, 10:38 AM   #90
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

FRANK is in that book? Oh my..... <g>

I read about 20 pages of Pearl Earring last night Lou. I'm already hooked. :-)

Good morning (((L&L)))