Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old February 19th, 2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Jendoc

My 8 year old daughter acts as though she is 16 years old. I have talked to friends, and they tell me the same thing with their 8 and 9 year olds. When I was that age i still played with barbies.My daughter is worried about what clothes she wants to wear, and the latest bands new CD.

I know kids are growing up faster and faster all of the time, but I worry about her losing all of her innocence so young.My husband and I try to do a lot family activities like bike riding and playing board games things that are fun for the whole family. I really worry about what she will be like when she does hit those teen age years.Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old February 19th, 2001, 09:53 PM   #2
MommaD

Hi Jendoc!

I wish I had the answer. I have a 12 year old who acts her age (most of the time ) but looks 16. That's just as scarey!

You said your daughter's friends behave that way, too. Could it be that it's a peer thing? My daughter's friends all act fairly age appropriate, so I never gave action much thought.
MommaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2001, 12:39 AM   #3
Jendoc

Yes MommaD I think it is a peer thing.
I notice when we go back to Michigan where we are thankfully moving back to in July, the kids are kids. My daughter plays right along with them. Maybe it's just being closer to a big city.I don't know. I do know I can't wait to move back to a small town where everyone at least seems to be wholesome.
Old February 20th, 2001, 12:41 AM   #4
Lou
Idealist

Pick your battles.

Hi Jendoc--When my daughter was 8, she was also interested in music, wanted certain shoes, certain hair styles, wanted to read everything in print. She is now 33, a wife and mother, a professor of Spanish, a happy woman. My advice is to love that girl, take an interest in her music, and draw the lines for her so she stays safe.
Old February 20th, 2001, 12:49 AM   #5
Jendoc

Thanks Lou
Your advice is excellent!
Old February 20th, 2001, 01:43 PM   #6
LiamFan!

I live and work in a big city, and I don't think the people are any less "wholesome."

I grew up in a smaller town and the constant pressure to conform was overwhelming...I moved away, but I had friends who couldn't live with that kind of pressure and suffered for their nonconformity.

Old February 20th, 2001, 07:42 PM   #7
Jendoc

You're right. I should not assume being in a small town will change everything.You'll find all kinds of people wherever you go. Maybe it's just where I live now, but the people don't seem to friedly.I miss the feeling of community.I love the surroundings, but it takes a long time to make friends here. I have a friend who moved here recently, and she says the same thing.
Old February 20th, 2001, 08:19 PM   #8
LiamFan!

Hi Jennifer,

I agree, different cities have a totally different feel and attitude. What I've noticed is the notion that you are less of a citizen of the place because you weren't born and raised there. Haughty attitudes like that really grind my gears.

Oh, and I just noticed you can't use the bracket-g-bracket sign for a grin on these boards!

I hope things are easier for your little girl when you move back home. :-)
Old February 20th, 2001, 10:37 PM   #9
Jendoc

You hit the nail on the head on that one.That is exactly what it feels like here.Everyone seems to have grown up together or at least has lived here for years or more. I think my little one will be alright.It will be nice to be back where we have family.Out here we are 1200 miles away from the nearest relative.
Old April 21st, 2002, 06:34 PM   #10
Sunshine
Let the sunshine in!

Who knew that kids dealt with such things? By what I am learning here, it seems that I was never a kid at all, as most of these issues are so removed from me. Sunshine
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote