Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Mental Health

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:42 PM   #31
Stophie

((((((((((((((K-kane)))))))))))))))
I wish you all the best

I don't know what it stands for either, but it sounds like it is worth checking out. My therapist has been great--very easy to talk to and I feel comfortable with her. My only difference of opinion is her wish for me to take meds and my refusal to do so. She doesn't badger me about it, but does express sincere concern when I am having crying fits. They are less frequent now...usually only when I am PMSing. But, when I am having them they are very profound and my mental state during those times scares me. But time heals all wounds no matter how big or small...how much time totally depends on ME.
Good luck in finding the right support group you need, it's out there. Don't ever give up hope either. Much love sent your way...I and many others are here for ya when you need us.
(((((((((((((((((((((K-kane)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Stophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2001, 10:48 AM   #32
fishead

K,
LCSW=Licensed Clinical Social Worker. You can look them up in the "Yellow Pages" (just like you would a restaraunt).
Good Luck
Old June 21st, 2001, 12:09 AM   #33
Stophie

Just when I thot I was okay....

Since I have been back from Little Rock I have felt 100 times better about myself. I really had no idea how much I had lost of my self-esteem which I had always felt was strong before, until I was able to get away from here and re-evaluate everything that has happened to me in the last year. I have a more positive outlook on my life and have not despaired as much about what happened with me and Lyle. Then tonight he called and invited me to dinner. Not a big deal since we are friends in a sense, but I could tell something was on his mind. So midway through my dinner he says "I have something to tell you..." Then he proceeds to tell me that his ex-girlfriend (the one before I came along) who is now his current girlfriend of 3 months is moving to Memphis and moving in with him. I don't know how I feel other than to say weird. Part of me wants to be happy for him and the other part of me wishes misery for them both. I won't say more cuz I really don't know what more to say. I just really wish my friends...my CLOSE friends...were just that...CLOSE, physically I mean. They all live elsewhere and I just don't know whether to cry or laff or drink myself into oblivion and do both. So I thot at least for now I would vent here where I have found I feel comfortable expressing myself and my emotions...those that think I am a basketcase can continue to do so and those who relate or can understand can do just that.
Old July 19th, 2001, 10:57 PM   #34
Stophie

Looking for feedback here...

Ok, for the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been seeing someone. Everythings great yada yada...now we are reaching that point where we are getting closer emotionally. The problem is I am a basket case. I'm terrified of letting him get too close to me even tho I know he isn't Lyle and would never be like him. John is sweet and kind, never has a bad word to say about anybody. He is personable and well-liked by everyone we know. He's a bit on the timid side --totally opposite of the X. The other night we were at dinner and out of the blue for NO reason I caught myself welling up with tears...it pissed me off more than anything cuz I couldn't explain why I was upset tho I knew it had something to do with my fear of this relationship. Anyone who has any words of encouragement for me please please I'm in dire need. I believe in myself but am still scared that I will let what happened to me in the past will ruin what may or may not be a good relationship. Hugs to all my roomies. Ya'll are the greatest.
Old July 19th, 2001, 11:53 PM   #35
antiana

{{{{{ Stophie }}}}}
Hi! Thought I would visit the folder and here you are.

My son and his family were up the first week of July and here it is the 19th and am going thru a bit of the blues. Not bad... just the surface kind. And it makes me more determined to move closer in actual distance to my grandson. Every morning they were here I actually woke up with a smile on my face and distracted from myself. A good thing. lol. So hubby and I have set down and written out the goals we need to reach to beable to move. We both feel invigorated.

Now... just a thought for you Stophie. It is ok for someone to be nice to you.
You deserve it. But I don't think you are over the X if you are comparing them. So enjoy this persons companionship and friendship and see where it goes. If you are worried that you may hurt this persons feelings eventually then all I can really suggest is total honesty. Big Hug!
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:04 PM   #36
star4

I was diagnosed with clinical depression 8 years ago. I have been through different regimens of medication, and 2 different doctors. I am happy to say that now I am with not only a good doctor, but a great therapist.

In the last 3 years, I have gone through a divorce after 28 years of marriage, moved 1300 miles away from home, started a new teaching job, and made a few new friends. I also am a grandma now, and my grandson Caiden is the joy of my life.

{{{antiana}}} I just spent the whole month of June with my children and grandson. I was with Caiden every day of that month, often all day, since I didn't let his mommy take him to the daycare where she works part time. I felt the same as you did, waking each day with a sense of purpose and excitement. The little guy returned my love and was my joy each day.

Now I find, as I do at this time each year before another school year starts, asking myself "WHY am I HERE"?? Why am I not living close to my children and Grandson?????? I have spent the last 3 years of therapy grieving the loss of my marriage and my life as I thought it would be right now. I have progressed a lot in that area, but still have bouts of sadness and dreams about how I wish it would be.

My X and I have developed a workable relationship while I am visiting there. He lives close to the children, and we see each other on family occasions. We are able to talk and interact pretty well at these times.

So, perhaps once I am busy with school again, the doubts and sadness will lessen. I sure hope so!!

Old August 9th, 2001, 04:22 AM   #37
Clara

Angry The depths of depression

I struggle on a daily basis with depression and have been on and off anti-depressants for 10 years or more (and I am only 27!) I am needing some help or encouragement here!

Here is my ordeal---- over the years--I have played doctor for myself and just when I am feeling good I quit taking my meds! Well, as most of you must know--or guess---this is not working well for me. Does anyone have any good alternative methods of dealing with depression--to assist with my non--medicated times?

I know that this is not idea---I know even that this is not recommended and I am trying to break this habit---but would like some feedback if anyone has some good alternate way of dealing with the lulls.

Sorry --I am new here---so I don't know what more to say or if I should leave my email address-- so until I figure out all of this--I will just check back in a few days or maybe a week.

Clara
Old August 9th, 2001, 11:46 AM   #38
LiamFan!

I read an excellent article recently...I will try to find the link to it. It stated that, of several test groups who were treated for depression in different ways -- meds, meds & exercise, exercise alone -- the group that exercised was the group that dealt the best with depression. Now, I'm not saying 'don't take meds,' because I myself have been on antidepressants in the past and know that they are sometimes necessary, especially in cases where there is a chemical imbalance.

But, definitely, you are right about going on and off the meds. Not a good idea, and you don't have to be a doctor to figure that one out. ;-)

When you're feeling good, Clara, it's because the meds are doing their job! (I bet you know that already.)

I'll try to find that article...
Old August 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM   #39
LiamFan!

Mayo Clinic study on Depression and Exercise

Well, that was easier than I thought!

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/mayo/...sion.exercise/

Old August 10th, 2001, 03:11 AM   #40
Clara

Thanks Liam! Helpful info in both the anxiety posting and the depression one! Ordered a book today about "driving issues" in my life today.

As well, I have a call in to my newest doctor to get a med schedule going again---from there --I can think about more exercise---however---I am now working 6 of my 8 hours a day walking--- non stop on the go! So I may be getting enough in just thru work---as I used to sit for 8 hours! (can anyone say wide wide hips???!?) LOL

Gotta love life,

Clara
Old August 11th, 2001, 05:55 PM   #41
tupi

My husband self medicated himself for many years with alcohol. He no doubt suffered from depression, as it runs in his family as well as mine. He took up running. He's happier, I'm happier, and we're all on the road to mending. Exercise clearly increases the release of seritonin in the brain. The problem, of course, is that most of us when depressed don't have the energy to get up and do anything. However, if you're determined to get to feeling better without the help of medication, then exercise works. Not only did it work for my husband, but for many many other people. I know I have felt much stronger since I've taken up street-walking! (GRIN)

I am a believer now in staying on the medication when the doctor puts you on it. I played that medicate myself game once too often, and I'm not going back there again.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2001, 01:59 AM   #42
Clara

Thanks Tupi

The self medication demonstrates how I feel in much of my life---powerless. So that is what I went to! Its a challenge for me to overcome I think.

Anyway--- I mustn't whine! I have some street walking to do myself <grin back atcha>!!!

Enjoy the streets and stay safe,

Clara
Old August 17th, 2001, 07:50 PM   #43
DrHilieWho

Every bit of me is exhausted. The tension has been slowly building and this morning I completely lost it. I called the public health department to see if I still qualified for counseling (I was in a counseling program for new moms right after Strata was born) and they sent a nurse over. I'm in their maternal health program now, and will be going to a psychiatrist Monday for a med evaluation. I don't like taking medication but at this point I will try anything. (((((everyone)))))) I'm so happy to have friends I can talk to. I just hope I don't leave you feeling drained at the end of our conversations
Old August 18th, 2001, 01:45 AM   #44
LondonLee

<font size="4"> <font color=plum> (((((DrHilieWho)))) and everyone else that needs encouragement and friends - a big hug to you all!!!! Will be thinking about all of you and always hope for the best and a turning point in your lives that will make you feel better!!!!
LondonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2001, 08:08 AM   #45
anniejoan

((((((((( Hilie ))))))) Hang in there sweetie. We're here for you.

Hi Clara. Welcome and best of luck with overcoming the challenges too.

(((((((( London )))))))) Hi hi!! I see you've been playing in folders again. lol Have fun!!