Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Mental Health

Old March 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #106
Cinderellen

Sunflower, have you considered seeing a therapist? Talk therapy can work wonders in helping you understand why you are feeling depressed. Yes, depression is often a clinical disorder, but there is definitely a mental component. I know for me, therapy has helped tremendously.
Old March 10th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #107
Sabra

if this is how you're thinking, then I'm not one to change your mind. I can only go by what I experienced and the love and support of family and friends was just not enough. Everyone has different levels of depression, and different reasons for depression. Mine is serotonin levels in my brain are not balanced and the only way I can keep serotonin balanced is through my medication.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #108
sunflower

Cinderellen yes my doctor suggested I see a therapist and then she said the waiting list is about 8 months.There is only one here. So for now I guess I will just have to work it out

Sabra I have heard of people having an inbalance and if I can't get a grip I may have to look into that
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #109
Cinderellen

I took prozac before I went into therapy. It put me on a more even keel so that I could handle the sessions.

The main thing is that if you are suspicious that you are suffering from depression, don't just let it fester. Depression robs you of so much.
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #110
Self

Wow a place I can share my concerns and thoughts. Glad I was being nosey! How do you all feel about Prozac? I can't function without it, I started out on Paxil and ended up up with Prozac. Side effects were and are small, compared to what I'm like without them. I stopped cold turkey once and belive me I got sick as all get out. Anyone starting a med. should continue it until you talk with a doctor, by stopping I did more harm then good!
Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #111
Sabra

Hey Self, I was on prozac for several years and then was changed to wellbutrin and have been on this for three years. On occasion one needs to give a body a break and have their medication changed, because they stop being effective or they've become less effective over time.

All medications are prescribed for a reason and should be taken as directed for the length of time prescribed unless of course an allergy or a severe side affect happens then stop it immediately. I learned this lesson from my Dad, (apart from being a nurse) who hated taking medications, stopped taking antibiotics, kept reinfecting with strep and now has severe rheumatic heart disease, two bypass surgeries, more angioplasties then anyone should have had and a special dual chamber aicd pacemaker to keep him alive. Now he takes more medication then he ever dreamed of taking, several times a day. So for anyone who even thinks of stopping medication, without the approval of their physician, think again
Old March 11th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #112
Cinderellen

I agree, if you have a med prescribed to you, you should take it, as prescribed, for the duration. Particularly where antibiotics are concerned.

For some, after you've been on the anti-depressant for a year, give or take, you can come off them, under the supervision of your doctor, and be fine. I was like that. After a year on them, and therapy, I was able to stop taking them. There are side effects that I didn't care for, but when I started, it was so much better that the benefits outweighed the side effects. Overall, I think that prozac was great. It really helped me see that there was light at the end of a long dark tunnel.
Old March 11th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #113
Self

Hi Sabra!!! I tried the wellbutrin, made everything taste like bleach, talk about yucky!! lol It took about a year to get my dosage adjusted to work for me. And sometimes I have to increase and sometimes decrease it. I also take a drug called trazsadone, Hey, nobody said I could spell! lol Sometimes at night my brain just won't shut down. Doc says I'm a worry wort. Been in counseling and group. Doing much better but still have issues. Guess you could say I've come a long way baby!
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #114
Sabra

Oh yum, Self bleach Ewwwwww! Unfortunately I don't have this problem LOL. Trazadone, you were close is basically a sleep medication, and I don't have problems there either I could sleep through the atomic bomb blast, course it helps having a hearing disability

Unfortunately for me Cinder, mine is chronic and getting off anti depressants is not an option. expensive little buggers too.
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #115
Cinderellen

LOL no kidding (((Sabra)))
Old March 11th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #116
Self

I'm back! LOL I guess I'm weird, because I go thru periods where I can sleep fine for days (literally) and other times I'm up for days. It's enough to make anyone feel sick. I went thru a period where I wouldn't even get dressed or nothing. But, I at least put clothes on now! LOL Seriously though, depression comes in all sizes, shapes, colors. Just like the people of the world huh? I found no to talk to for years, then started talking to myself, don't laugh it helped. What also helped was keeping a diary about my feelings. Any of you ever tried that? I found a lot of things in my everyday life that are triggers for bringing on my depression.
Old March 11th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #117
Cinderellen

I've never been good at Journaling, but it's a great idea. It'll really bring you in tune with yourself. Or so I've heard.
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #118
sunflower

self

ya that sounds alot like what I went through and am going through again.

I never even thought to keep track of what triggered it. Good idea, but I think in my case it might have had something to do with not getting outdoors enough. And alot of different things happened in my life all at once. But then again I can hardly think anyway

Cinderellen

Sabra

Nice to see everyone again
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #119
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

Trust me she can sleep for days without waking up. The again she can go for days without sleeping. Been up many a nights at hospital with her. (sigh) Only if they would fix her instead of letting this continue. I mean there has to be something they can do for you without putting her on 50 million drugs!!!
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #120
Self

((((((Daccie)))))

SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!