Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:16 AM   #16
gsf

Hello,brede.I think the media has a great influence in society,too.It is difficult for me to understand politics,especially an economic policy.I'm interested in measures of crime prevention.I sometimes watch newscast about politics of your country.But I don't know them very much.I hear many people have lost their job in USA.
In my opinion it is important for us to communicate directly with each other.For example,some parties in my country are opposed to dispatch Self-Defense Force to Iraq.One of them has put up many posters printed"We shouldn't obey USA." in streets.But when I see them,I never harbor hostility against you.Maybe,the media or some critics in your country might sometimes criticized Japanese government.However,I never think you hate me when you hear or read them.Because we know our life,joy,suffering,and so on with each other.We are good friends.If politicians have friendliness to people in other countries,they will manege to avert a conflict and maintain friendly relations with each other even though some problem arises.We should really know other countries and have public opinion grow for peace.
gsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:57 AM   #17
MintyFemme2

Brede I couldn't agree with ya more. I think the media does play into the political stuff.. mainly the controversial junk that will either make people wanna vote or will turn them off from voting.
I don't undertand politics but I vote every chance I get because my little voice does matter. If I didn't vote then the people who want only certain people in will get what they want which might not be what I want. My 2nd mom told me something years ago that affected my way of thinking . She said "You have the right to vote. If you don't vote, don't bitch when the goverment does something you don't like."
The thing I don't like about politcians is that they take God out when He/She doesn't fit into their ways but put God back in when He/She fits their plans.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM   #18
brede
my new motorcycle

Yeah, God can sure be convenient for politicians.

gsf - Having grown up during the Cold War between the USSR and the USA, I couldn't agree with you more about people. It always seems so odd that people are supposed to give up their life because some government doesn't agree with another government. I moved to Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We had to "duck and cover" as if that would have helped during a nuclear airstrike! That situation forced many children to confront adult issues and with the innocence of children, it was simply not right to kill other people.

I really think that the world wide internet will eventually help the world. This board is a good example. We are able to share and learn about each other and our different cultures. And America has a lot of different cultures within its own borders. This global communication "experiment" can only be helpful. For me, it is nice to know that there are many people in the world who share my feelings about Iraq. Especially since the president has declared that you are a traitor if you don't agree with him.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #19
gsf

brede,I read the homepage about Cuban Missile Crisis.I'll learn history more.I'm sorry I'm busy with my family and my sick mother and not skillful in English.Please take care of and respect yourself.Again I'll post a message to you.
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #20
gsf

MintyFemme2,hello.How are you?I agree with what you said "The thing I don't like about politcians is that they take God out when He/She doesn't fit into their ways but put God back in when He/She fits their plans."But I don't know what cases concretely hold true for it.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM   #21
gsf

brede,I really trust you.I'll tell you my experience.brede,I had heard that you could get a gun easily in your country.So I had been afraid that if I went to USA,I might be shooted by someone.Then I found this website.But I couldn't ask you whether you or one of your friends had shooted anyone in your daily life or not.I have talked various things with you.Now I know you never do such a thing.I think if we make good use of internet,it can be helpful to us.This is one of my thinking.I'll post a message to you again.Thank you,brede,everyone.
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:01 PM   #22
MintyFemme2

GSF having a gun is a constitoinal right here but it isn't neccesarily what everyone does. I myself prefer not to have a gun. There are other people that don't have a problem owning guns. Most of the time the good people who have guns rarely if ever use them. It is the bad people who aren't supossed to have a gun that use them. Just as it is a right to have a gun it is also a right that one can loose if they are charged with a serious crime or certain not so serious crimes.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:43 PM   #23
gsf

MintyFemme2,thank you.
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #24
brede
my new motorcycle

I'm sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you. Like many Americans, my husband and I each own a handgun. I've never shot at anyone, just targets. However, I used to live on a high way with very little police protection. We had over 12 break in attempts when I was home. For a while, our neighbors were members of a very dangerous motorcycle gang. I did keep a loaded gun with me anytime I was alone. And, yes, I was prepared to shot someone if my life was in danger. I have been physically assaulted 3 times and raped in two of them. The two assaults happened when I was in places that I should not have been. The third was by my now ex-husband. It was the reason I divorced him.

We have always been extremely careful when it came to gun safety. Now that we live in a safer town, the guns are dismantled, trigger locked and in a locked box.

I think you will be very safe here. The number of gun related deaths is high in the USA, but the majority normally don't involve strangers.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM   #25
gsf

Thank you,brede.Again I will post a message to you.
Old July 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #26
hogggie

Rice Runs for President look out here come the first black women for a President
hogggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #27
LiamFan!

Not a chance in hell.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #28
hogggie

Some in GOP Hope Rice Runs for President

By ANNE Some in GOP Hope Rice Runs for President GEARAN, AP Diplomatic Writer
Tue Jul 19,11:17 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has been spending time in places like Israel and Italy instead of Iowa. Some Republicans hope she will turn from globe-trotting diplomat to barnstorming candidate for president.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 2008 presidential race is still a long way off, and Rice, a Republican, is only seven months into her job at the State Department. Still, there are signs that she could take a shot at two historic precedents ? the first woman president and the first black.
hogggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #29
Tammy

Black, woman, and Republican seems like such an impossible combination that I can't even begin to wrap my mind around adding president to it.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #30
LiamFan!

I myself would never vote for a Republican, no matter the race or gender.