Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old April 27th, 2001, 12:13 AM   #1
roo

Are you someone who journals? Do you enjoy reading the journals of writers?
roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2001, 06:56 AM   #2
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I used to journal roo... it started in High School when my English teacher had us keep one. He would stage incidents during the school year and after the event, have us pull out the journals and write down what we felt, experienced or saw during it. Later, I started up again. It was amazing going back after several years and seeing how much I grew during that two year period in my life. I've actually thought of starting up again.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:37 AM   #3
roo

I seem to only write in a journal when in crisis mode. This time is a bit different though. I used to always be very neat, color inside the lines. Now I have pasted in pictures, drawn, scribbled. It finally dawned on me this was mine. I could scrawl everywhere if I so pleased. One thing though, it cannot be a blank book. It must be grid paper for some reason.

And I find it better to write the entries as if they were letters to a friend, a specific friend. I think I am more detailed. Now, I know what I mean to say even if I mispell (always) or just allude to something. When you write a letter, its more detailed and descriptive. It is interesting to go from tightly structured to having a "journal as montage."

I like it
Old April 27th, 2001, 11:53 AM   #4
Lou
Idealist

(((((DLC)))))

(((((roo)))))

Two of my favorite women.

Journal keeper here. That mention of using paper marked with grids is VERY familiar to me. For years and years, I used accountant ledger books for my journals. Like roo, I don't know why that paper is so satisfying and inviting, but it is, and that's all that matters.

I have studied the Ira Progoff method of journal keeping, and I teach my students to keep journals. There is so much more to it than just writing a sort of diary entry. It's like roo says--using the space freely. Maybe that's why grids work. My students learn to freewrite (timed brain drains), to create dialectics (multiple column entries designed to let them respond to quotations they select), to cluster (free-associate words), write letters to me and to others, draw, glue, all sorts of things.

There are lots of reasons to write, but one of the most interesting is the writing that is done for oneself only, that exploration and discovery. Notice that journal and journey contain the same root word? --<i>jour,</i> day. Today we shall travel on this page.

Old April 27th, 2001, 12:12 PM   #5
roo

Oh yeah: paper. I adore drafting vellum, and 100% rag paper. All my college papers were printed on 100%... anything worth that amount of work deserves paper worthy of the effort!

I think writing a letter is 3D when you have a good paper and a fountain pen. It makes me slow down. But I wont use those papers for a journal: excellent and beautiful paper slows me down, demands attention, insists I take my time. I have note cards of thick & heavy paper, lovely stuff, with gold embossed little froggies and heavy gold-lined envelopes. I have vellum envelopes. I have french paisley postcards. There is a store here where they sell every type of paper and fountain pen there is. I usually use a special pen for journaling: my Mont Blanc Miesteruck --a gift from my major professor when I graduated-- a fat, heavy, finite pen that says "Slow down. Think. Craft with me." I also have a nice collection of fountain pens for work, with sepia, red and emerald inks in them.

May I also state, for the record, I adore almost everything Levengers sells. If I win the lotto I will build a house. My study will be the largest room. I shall have floor to ceiling barrister bookcases, in honey-light cherry. I will have a desk for just fountain pens. LOL how sad, but that is my fantasy room Oh yeah, the house will be a frame-and-timber house, perched above the Fryingpan River near Aspen, in an aspen wood, so I can hear the trees celebrate each second. And a little cottage to write in. I'll have books, and music and trout. You know what's funny? The only rooms I ever dream of are quiet studies and bathrooms. There just has to be something odd about that.
Old April 27th, 2001, 07:51 PM   #6
DLC55
You owe me for this!

When I use to keep my journals, I would wake up before anyone else did, make a cup of tea and sit out on the balcony and watch the sunrise. I can still hear the birds singing in the early dawn of those mornings. That was my time, the only time I had to myself in those days. Whether it was spring or winter, the balcony and I always had an early morning date. I think that was when I first discovered you can actually hear the snow when it hits the ground.
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:34 PM   #7
shergo

I need this! I have journalled off and on, and I am determined to begin again. The beauty of the journal and the pen are important to me for success in journalling. I love Roo's idea for writing as if I'm writing a letter. I think that will work well for me. I could use more journalling hints. My partner and I want to add journalling to our seminars. Do you have any favorite books or websites? TIA!
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:50 PM   #8
roo

Shergo,

The fellow Lou mentions, Ira Progoff does a highly structured journal process, including a multipart 3-ring binder style journal (or it used to be like that in the 80s). His website is: http://www.intensivejournal.org/

There is a good article describing it at http://www.intensivejournal.org/articles/main.htm click on main pane, click on "The Intensive Journal Process: A Path to Self-Discovery"

These folks have journalling resources (varied) http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/tbyrne/

This site looked good as well: http://www.WritingTheJourney.com/workshop/index.htm
Old April 29th, 2001, 09:49 AM   #9
anniejoan

Post Beginning

((((( roo ))))))) excellent topic! Thanks for starting it and thanks for the web references. I'll check those out for sure.
(((((( DLC ))))))) Hi sweetie. Yes, I want to start keeping a journal again too.
(((((( Lou )))))) Your dream study sounds wonderful. I hope you get it some day.
Hi Shergo. Nice to meet you.
I have journalled off and on for years, beginning with my very first tiny, locking diary as a kid. I wore the key around my neck. Since then, my journals have taken many forms: yes, the long hardcovered ledger books, the small hard cover blank journals both lined and unlined. I written on looseleaf paper and in coil bound notebooks.
I've played around with different writing tools: ball point pens, markers, gel pens, pencil crayons.
My journals have taken many forms too: the diary type..this is what I did today, who was there, what happened. Probably the most powerful writings came when I just wrote and wrote and one thing led to another. Lou, your "...writing that is done for oneself only, that exploration and discovery..." really struck a cord with me. How true.
And, sadly, because of that, while dejunking one day, I ripped up and threw out all my journals!! I know, I know. I got looking through them and got really uptight about: these are for my eyes only and what if someone finds them?! It's one thing to read about events in my journals...quite another to read about my truest, deepest thoughts and feelings...which often come as a complete surprise to me when I'm involved in that kind of free association writing.During those long writing sessions, my writing became very emotionally powerful and revealing. I could always tell when reviewing my writing if I was being honest with myself or if I was censoring what I wrote. Honest writing is much more helpful.
And so, I want to begin again and this time, not destroy them!
Recently, I played around with Word for journalling but, I gotta tell ya, it just doesn't feel the same as grabbing the pen, journal and coffee and smokes and heading to my comfy chair to write. So, I think I'll be doing it by hand rather than on the computer.
Now all I need to decide is what type of paper etc. will I use. Wooohoooo! A shopping trip is in order! I'm excited.
anniejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2001, 11:31 AM   #10
Lou
Idealist

(((((anniejoan)))))!! Hey woman! You keep journals, smoke, and discard!

Hey (((((roo))))) :::nudge nudge::: Another smoker

Right. Don't throw out the journals. I have daughters who are now women in their early 30's. They will someday read my journals, nod, and know that they are fine for having seen that their mom was a human being with fears, weaknesses, great joys, and moments of being kind and unkind.

Old April 29th, 2001, 01:26 PM   #11
roo

(((((Annie))))))) How sad you felt you needed to toss the journals I've done that, once in a rage, tossed the all out. I debate now. I just switched over from a thick grid book to a nice leather one with a kind of wrapper thingie. I am debating what to do with the old one. I don't really want people reading my journal, its too vulnerable.

((((((lou))))))) they are all coming over to the dark side
Old April 29th, 2001, 06:19 PM   #12
anniejoan

(((((( Lou ))))))) (((((( roo ))))))))
I'm all set. Did a huge spending spree at Staples and got tons of stuff for journal writing. Have decided to go with a 3 ring binder and loose leaf paper, both plain and lined so I can write on whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

Also picked up all kinds of pens, watercolor pencils (those should be fun! ) glue, gel pens etc. Now off to get it all organized and in one place.

lol @ smoking and the dark side. If this is the dark side, I'm more than glad to be here.

Hey, where is DLC and shergo? Wonder if they've gotten their journal writing stuff.

roo, don't through out your old journals. I really regret that I did. Like Lou's idea...they speak of the woman she is. So true....especially if we are honest in our writing.

I'll keep you posted.
Old April 29th, 2001, 09:58 PM   #13
roo

((((((Annie))))))) Good onya as the Aussies say! My you jumped right in. We're watching <i>Out of Africa</i> and its bringing up a lot of memories of Kenya and Somalia, so I imagine I shall be busy tonight writing it all out.
Old April 30th, 2001, 01:00 AM   #14
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Actually I have several blank journals here already, what I'm missing is my favorite pen. It's a foumtain pen that was given to me at work about 10 years ago. I can still get the cartridges but I have no clue where the pen went to. So, I'm off to find another one.

annie, I also tried the online journal, it was not satisfying at all. There's just something about feeling your thoughts go from mind to hand to paper, that makes it real. There's something about opening and closing the journal and seeing the written words that somehow makes it more mine. Besides, I can't carry my puter everywhere I go like I do my journals:-)
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:51 AM   #15
anniejoan

I got started yesterday. I bought a small storage tub to keep all my writing supplies in and got the paper out. I ended up playing in my journal, trying out the different writing tools. My standard pen is the Bic but I got the soft feel grip and it's comfortable. I played around with the pack of gel works pens by Avery...the Dream collection are blues and purple. They are very nice. Wish my penmanship was better.
(((( roo ))))) Have fun recalling and writing about Africa.
((((( DLC ))))) Hope you find your fountain pen. I love those but I don't do well...left handed and end up smearing the ink. At least I did in school. Maybe I can try it again.
Happy journalling!