Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old April 30th, 2001, 07:20 AM   #16
DLC55
You owe me for this!

{{{annie}}} you could always write from right to left Someone use to do that, I think I have my curlers to tight at the moment cause I can't remember who it was, lol!
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2001, 01:58 PM   #17
chefmhinny

I have kept journals through the years.It always seemed that i never finished out the year.I look back on all the ones I've kept ever so often and it was like reading a cliff hanger.

I now wait till back to school sales start and buy the 19 cent 70 page college ruled books in large numbers.I keep them in my car,various rooms,take them on trips etc.When the mood strikes I write something.

I find myself putting pen to paper in the oddest places,but what wonderful words and thoughts.Now i look forward to journaling instead of it being a chore to write down the daily routine. I dont feel like it's taking away from my quiet time when all I want is to relax.

BTW hey everyone how have ya been!
chefmhinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2001, 04:46 PM   #18
DLC55
You owe me for this!

hi chefmhinny!!

You know, I started a travel journal once. I use to take the kids on spur of the moment trips. I'd pack their bags, load the car and pick them up from school and head out of town. They never knew where we were going till we got there, lol! I finally decided I'd rather take pics and use the old type photo albums that have black pages that you have to use corner stickies to keep the pictures in. That way I could write on the pages to my hearts content, use stickers if I want, anything imaginative. It's a lot more fun to look and pictures and text at the same time:-)
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:35 PM   #19
roo

I started a travel journal when I lived in Germany, then decided it was redundent as I was on the road throughout Europe 3 outof 4 weeks. Same thing in Singapore and when I travelledin Asia. The only place I could not keepa journal per se, for security reasons, was when I was a peacekeeper. Instead, I wrote my aunt once a day and asked in the first letter that she leave them sealed up. I also sent home photos as well. I have all of those letters and photos in a shaker box, in storage, one day I guess I will read them.
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:50 PM   #20
DLC55
You owe me for this!

{{{{roo}}}}
Old April 30th, 2001, 07:05 PM   #21
roo

(((((Dlc))))))
Old May 1st, 2001, 05:12 AM   #22
QuietWoman

Every journal I've ever written just ends up sounding so self conscious as to be embarrassing! So I don't think I was cut out to journal
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2001, 07:15 AM   #23
anniejoan

(((( DLC )))))) Morning. Think I'll pass on the right to left idea. You know how easily I get discombobulated!!!

Hi Chefmhinny nice to meet you. Good idea about the back to school sales.

((( roo ))) The letters sent home to your aunt reminds me of Celie finding her letters from her sister in The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It's one of my favorite parts from one of my all time fav books. Loved the movie too.

Hi Quietwoman, nice to meet you too. Maybe you could try again and just let your words flow. Just write what you think and don't censor your words.

Yikes...getting almost shower time. Want to write in my journal before I go to work. So far, I've written in it every day. Ok, so this is only day 3...but it's a start!

Happy journalling everyone! (spell check please. When adding the ing is there an extra L put in or not?)
anniejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2001, 07:44 AM   #24
DLC55
You owe me for this!

((((anniejoan)))) chicken:-)

((((Quiet))))) I liked what I read on one of the sites roo postes ^ there somewhere:

"You don?t have to be an accomplished or aspiring writer to benefit from journal writing. It doesn?t matter if you can?t spell, have difficult handwriting to read, or can?t think of creative ways to say how you feel. There are no special tools or techniques required.

The journal is your constant companion on your personal spiritual journey. It is the travelogue of your unique spiritual path which is perfectly suited to your needs, abilities, talents, and interests."

If you can't be honest in your journal, why have one?

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:06 AM   #25
roo

LOL that is because you are British Q ((((((Q))))))) Try writing your journal as a letter to someone

(((((Annie and DLC))))))

Mine never become a spiritual journey, as I am not a spiritual or religious person anymore. There are times, because I only write when I feel llike I am in "crisis mode," that they feel as if they are journals of angst.

What I have come to realize is I don't cycle through an experience and am done with it, never to face a given set of issues again. Its like I continually cycle through a series of events, and continually learn more and experience the problem/situation at differing levels of complexity and or resolution.

Imagine a spiral, that is a grouping of events or situations evoking a similar response (relations might be a good example)... then draw a line, a forward sloping slash, through the spiral. That is the best analoogy I have... I think we continue to experience events that evoke a given set of emotional reponses until we muddle our way through, and we experience it in a multiplicity of levels and textures. I think we repeat events, or echo events, until we are able to work through them.

Things that once cause a lot of anguish in me, when a very young adult, are just as likely to bring amusement (and embarassment when I recall earlier reactions). That tells me I grew a little between then and now.
Old May 1st, 2001, 07:04 PM   #26
DLC55
You owe me for this!

(((Quiet, roo, anniejoan)))

I remember many years ago, a journal I kept when going through my separation and divorce. I thought I had it hidden, when my daughter found it. She was just into her young adult years and had a pretty good relationship with her father. She asked if she could read it. I was really torn between wanting to keep it private or letting her see just how bad things were. I asked her to please let me read it again first, then I would decide. When I reread that journal, my first thoughts were, OMG, I DID NOT WRITE THAT!
Then, wow... I really have come a long way from that dependant, abused, pathetic creature. I became, over the past years, an independant woman in my own right, and I did it myself. She never asked to read it again, and I decided that, even though some day she will, I didn't want it to be while she was building a relationship with her dad.

I always find cubbies at work during my lunch break and hide...today I found one that had a nice big wingback chair beside a table with a lamp, so I took my shoes off, curled up in the chair, and started writing...dang..all it was missing was the ashtray<g>

Have you ever noticed how fast an hour goes by when your writing?
Old May 1st, 2001, 09:15 PM   #27
roo

I cannot even eat at lunch time (not that I eat at lunch time.) The kids come find me. Or teachers come and whine at me. The only escape is going off campus. I might start doing that.
Old May 1st, 2001, 10:52 PM   #28
DLC55
You owe me for this!

roo, the building I am in was built in the 50's. It has so many nooks and crannies, I don't know how the cleaning staff finds them all<g> There's one place called "The Gallery", it has 2 walls, one flat and one curved, both walls have paintings and etchings done by local artists. There's a bench along the other wall. I hide there a lot to read.<g>
There's also a small break room with a sofa, you have to have the code to get in..I'm the only one who knows the code<g>
Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:28 PM   #29
anniejoan

((((DLC ))))) (((((( roo )))))
So far, my journal stays at home. I do carry a small notebook to jot down thoughts to expand on when I can get home and write..coffee and cigs at the ready.

DLC, your hideaways at work sound peaceful. There is no place at my work to hideout. But...the new library is being built in the mall across from where I work and it will be ready this fall. I can hardly wait!!

I have to be alone when I write and yes, time does fly when involved in writing. Yesterday, I played around with the watercolor pencils I bought and put my scribbles in my journal. Don't know what they mean...but that's ok.

Happy journalling (sp...is it 2 L's or 1?)
Old May 10th, 2001, 09:25 AM   #30
anniejoan

Okay. Where is everyone? Hope you haven't given up on keeping a journal.
So glad I'm on vacation right now. It's given me time to write in my journal, any time of the day....whenever the mood strikes me.
The 3 ring binder and looseleaf paper is working well, especially when I glue things onto the pages. I can just put those in my binder, and have the other loose pages out of the binder and write away without running into bumps and hills and valleys. Cool, eh?
/me races out to do more posting.