Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:52 PM   #31
k-kane

e-mail in some ways is like journal writing. do you ever exchange e-mails daily with friends to the point that it becomes a diary?

journal writing is always embarassing to re-read, unless you are someone like andre gide or something. but it's also so revealing about where you once were, in your head, in your life.

sometimes though, it's hard to write without thinking about possible intrusive readers. the eternal journal writing dilemma...
k-kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2001, 10:13 PM   #32
bikerxena
Biker and Animal Lover

I've kept journals off and on, and generally enjoyed it. During one period about 10 years ago when I'd taken in some homeless teenage guys (collectively known as the Heathens) who had been kicked out of their yuppie houses, I kept a journal faithfully. I look forward to going back and reading about that period of my life again sometime, because I found it fascinating. Often I just write stories about my day: how I'm feeling, what I'm thinking and doing, and what guy I'm currently pining for. Oddly, I kept the journal on the computer when the Heathens were around, back in the DOS machine days, but haven't been inspired to do it on a Windows machine. In a way - a really big way - my posts on the board are my journal. It was pretty devastating to me for that reason when we lost the first set of boards. I'm one who likes to reflect back on things, and write about things from my past so I can savor every detail. The best for me, though, is a travel journal, because I can read back through and evoke the warm breezes and lush flora of Jamaica, the wonder of Yellowstone, or the frustration of driving through miles of blinding snow. For now, it seems I write so much so many places, including for my job, that keeping a journal would be time comsuming and even rather redundant, since I post on boards so much. But I like journaling, so who knows, I may start up again when the mood strikes.
Old June 9th, 2001, 05:00 PM   #33
DLC55
You owe me for this!

The funniest thing happened the other day when I was writing in my journal.

For years I couldn't remember the names of two friends I had when I lived in Maryland as a child. They weren't exactly normal everyday names... I was writing about a certain incident when all of a sudden I remembered their names. I was like WOW... what a neat thing!

Does anyone else remember things they had forgotten when writing? I'll be writing and all of a sudden remember details I hadn't thought about.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2001, 09:12 PM   #34
tupi

May I interupt this very engaging topic to say something? I would love to write a journal. I have often thought of it; but the things I really want to talk about, I'd be totally afraid to put onto paper. If anyone found them, well, it wouldn't be pretty. I have only opened up a couple of times in therapy group even. Some of my deepest parts are simply things I'm afraid to look at in print. These are things about me that I can't explain and wouldn't share with loved ones. I live in fear of people leaving me. They do, you know. They learn things and decide you aren't what they thought you to be and they leave. So, I share with my friends here in WOW, and I share in print a tiny part of myself. I would love to write a journal...that no one would ever see.

Thank you, now back to your regularly scheduled program.....
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2001, 10:44 PM   #35
LiamFan!

Write it on the computer, in Word or another word processing program, and password the file.

That way, when you're gone, you'll drive folks nuts trying to break into your file. ;-)

And believe me, these passwords are pretty near unbreakable. We had the whole TSS department trying to decode a co-worker's late grandfather's computer diary file, and it never worked.
Old June 16th, 2001, 06:15 AM   #36
tupi

LiamFan, you know I'd never thought of that......

Sometimes, in my mind, it's like if I actually tell some of my fears they might happen. I'm real messed up sometimes. I'm also still out of Celexa. I'll feel better soon.

tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:28 PM   #37
sparrow

Well, ladies, you've got me hooked. I posted an introduction in the "Cafe" and I guess I've found what I'm looking for. I just read this entire thread, and I feel so relieved to find a bunch of women with some of the same feelings, at least about journaling. I have kept a journal on and off since high school. Sometimes I'm better at writing regularly than others, but I rarely finish a notebook. It is more for the writing than the going back to read. I have found that only when I remember something specific that I've written, do I go back to read. I suppose I will be afraid for someone to find them, but my husband knows where they are, and he would never think of invading. I did show him one thing. When I was 26 I decided that I didn't want to live in Georgia anymore. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew it wasn't where I was supposed to be. I wrote in a journal that I knew that "he," "Mr. Perfect," my soulmate, was waiting somewhere else, not Atlanta, where I lived at the time. I suspected that he was in Ohio. My whole family is from here, though only a few cousins and my Grandparents are here now. I figured that if I should leave Georgia, I should go where the was a support system in place. And somehow, I just knew that he was here. It sounds rediculously sapping, and a little contrived, but I dug out that particular journal volume, and there it was. I had written that I knew he was here waiting. And though I didn't meet him for nearly a year after I came here, he was.
I haven't been journaling for a while now. Planning a wedding was so hectic. I feel a little bad about it, I've lost the opportunity to record that particular chapter in my life. I suppose I'll start up again now. I want to be in the habit again before we try to start a family.
Thank you ladies!
Sparrow
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2001, 01:48 PM   #38
roo

Hey Sparrow, once again!

I've not been keeping a journal the last couple of weeks, although I keep a second journal, just forfishing. Its very detailed with wind, sun, air and water temperatures, fish, hatches, what they take, how many fish brought to net etc. I don't think it will be useful for a few more years yet, but I want to track conditions.

I'll probably start journalling again once I can concentrate and this woozy feeling leaves my brain.
Old July 10th, 2001, 06:49 PM   #39
anniejoan

/me races in and waves hi hi to k-kane, biker, DLC, tupi, Liam, Sparrow, roo.

Ok, after a rousing start full of enthusiasm and the best of intentions....my journal writing fizzled.

BUT...I'm now back on track and have been writing daily for the past few days...and enjoying it. The key, for me at least is that I have to make the time to do it.

And, DLC, yes. That happens to me all the time...memories come flooding back. As I write..at some point I stop and am lost in a world of thoughts until I realize that I've stopped writing. I then tell myself...well, dang!! Get it out of your head and onto that page!! Write for goodness sake!! And so I do.

Happy writing my journaling friends.
Old July 15th, 2001, 08:18 PM   #40
anniejoan

ok. Where is everyone? Does this mean you haven't been writing? Or does it mean....you have been? Maybe you're even doing it right now?

I am pleased to report that I have kept up my daily journaling and still find that what I sit down to write about doesn't always stay the course. I tend to go from one subject to another.....which is cool.....free form writing so to speak. Some of my best ideas come to me this way.
Old July 17th, 2001, 02:51 AM   #41
shana123

OMG Had I known this folder was here I would have joined sooner. I am a journal writer. I have been writing a journal since I was about 14. I wasnt one of those little girls that liked the idea of a diary. They were silly in my opinion until I met a man who had a journal for each year of his life. Everyday he would sit down and write about his day, his wife, his six kids, and even about me. I was amazed. A man, writing in a journal. He saw my fascination and sometimes would read little bits to me. I was so thrilled that I was going to be in some little book on someones shelf it made me feel like I was special too. SO I picked up that silly little girl diary and made it into something I cared about doing. I wrote every day for many many years. I have over 30 diaries in my trunk in my bedroom. All hardbound lined books. No one reads them , not even me. Sometimes I will look in them to find out when we got a dog or cat or even our new fridge but I dont often read them just to read. They are filled with silly things, day to day things, sometimes feelings, sometimes just what I did that day. I too feared others reading them but I dont anymore. No one asks to read them now, they know its just something I do. I quit for a year cause I really felt like it was going nowhere, I was going through a difficult time and maybe I felt it just didnt matter anymore to write how I felt cause I truly felt like crap. I have started again though and find it sometimes hard to keep it going but I will. Its something that I did faithfully everyday, now I just have to get back to doing it again. Im glad I found others who do the same. I dont use fancy pens or take my journals with me. I leave them home and write when I can.
shana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2001, 03:00 AM   #42
shana123

I didnt want to make my post so big. Im so excited to be here and have people to share this with. The year I gave up my journals I did write a story, so in ways I guess I didnt give it up, just changed how I do it. I wrote my life story. It was one of the most freeing things I have ever done in my life. After I wrote it all down it was like I had a big sense of relief. Like I had taken all the burdens and put them in this book instead of in my soul. Do you know what I mean? I have never gone back and read that story, nor have I even opened it again. Maybe I fear that burden jumping back out at me. Who knows. I do know that my life has changed from writing and I can see a lot of growth. I have some old letters I wrote too and to read them is really quite funny. I was such a silly niave young woman, so in love, mushy love you know? I like the mature love I have now, it is so much better lol. Well gang its great to find you all here and I will join you all again. Hope I didnt bore you all to death but it was my excitement in finding somewhere that fits, you know what I mean?
Great topic roo, glad I found it
Old July 17th, 2001, 03:22 AM   #43
LondonLee

Oh, yes at one time I kept a journal. But like annie I threw mine out. I really didn't want anybody else to see them and they were my thoughts and dreams. But I enjoyed writing it down at the time. I think a journal is very theraputic and so relaxing to let your thoughts run with the pen and on paper. I guess why I never used a computer is because I could take my journal outside or wherever to jot down things. Don't know if I will ever start a journal again - but had fond memories of doing them before.
LondonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2001, 12:59 PM   #44
LondonLee

Oh, forgot to ask if anybody noticed in their journals that there handwritting changed when writing. I could always tell if I was in a good mood because my penmanship was having a good day on those days - and when I wasn't in a good mood my penmanship was a wee bit sloppy!!! I think my moods showed in my penmanship and found that interesting.
LondonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2001, 01:55 PM   #45
shana123

Yes I noticed that London. Also when I first started the year off with a new book, it was always neat writing, like I wanted to impress someone but hey no one was going to be reading them but me. And if I was mad it was pretty ugly writing lol . And on those days I didnt care, just big and hurried to fill up the page. I have been thinking I needed a change in my writing. Making it seem like a letter might work for me thanks roo, I will try that. Oh maybe you all can give me some suggestions? When my friend passed away last year I had given her a journal and pen so that she may write some things down if she wished. She progressed so fast that she really didnt have time to write in it except her grandchildren's birthdates and to put a special little message in there to me. Her husband said she wanted me to fill that book in a special way but he didnt say how or with what so it sits on my dresser and Im not sure what I want to do with it . What do you think a special way means?