Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:53 PM   #16
roo

Chew a stick of gum instead, while I considered the strange light across the street.

Knowing that cheap building, I had lived there when I first came to the city, it was coming from apartment 3G. God knows, there had been no life in there for ages.

Still, how do you explain that odd greenish light spilling out of the edges of cheap lace curtains? It almost seemed random, but too regular for that. Why would the old dame, Mary, be signalling? More importantly, to whom?

Something to consider indeed. Prehaps things were moving apace. Maybe there were more players involved here.
Old May 18th, 2001, 11:00 PM   #17
Lou
Idealist

I flip open my moleskin notepad and jot descriptions. Stakeout becomes mob scene.
Old May 18th, 2001, 11:12 PM   #18
roo

Notebook envy. That's what was going on here. I made anote to myself... remember to go to Pearl Street and get *someone* one of these.
Old May 18th, 2001, 11:19 PM   #19
Lou
Idealist

I stand here in the dark and let my thumb rub the soft nap and think of her. Aunt Sissie. Used to spend an hour cutting perfect squares of moleskin, then fixing them into the heels of her shoes to keep them from rubbing blisters on her feet. Was it really the skin of moles? I wondered that when I was a kid.
Old May 18th, 2001, 11:24 PM   #20
roo

Then I remembered a mole I had seen in England, soft and an iron gray dun to charcoal gray color. Maybe that was an analomy?

Did Mary, over in 3G use Moleskin too, I wondered.
Old May 19th, 2001, 09:51 AM   #21
Terri

Then I remembered how her hands used to caress the moleskin before she cut it. She was addicted to moleskin! Or maybe it was a fetish, I had seen worse. She used the fact that her heels were like the surface of a craggy mountain to hide her moleskin fetish. But I digress. The desperatly flashing light draws me back to the present....
Old May 19th, 2001, 12:07 PM   #22
roo

A large black caddy pulled up. A man in a trenchcoat wandered up to the mark's house. I couldn't quiet see what he was doing as he bend over and placed something on the doorstep.

After he peeled out of there, I crept over. Looking at the doorstep I felt shock and dismay course through me.

My God! He left a potato Julienne slicer! This was getting more and more twisted. Just what kind of threat was this? Was Mr. Potato Head running with or against the mob? If they killed him, were they planning on burying him, as french fries, in the Meadowlands?
Old May 19th, 2001, 04:42 PM   #23
Lou
Idealist

Julienne. Somehwere I'd read that if you cut up a potato and plant the chunks, the eyes sprout. Moleskin, potatoes--I felt a headache coming on and rubbed my temples hard to ease the zinger. Then, suddenly and horribly, a woman's scream exploded from a window above.
Old May 19th, 2001, 06:15 PM   #24
roo

I grabbed the slicer and made tracks next door. I'd left my 9mm in the glove box, damn it all. At least I had this sharp ginsu blade, if I could manage to get the safety guard off. And in time.
Old May 19th, 2001, 11:08 PM   #25
roo

The paperiere... I remember it well. It was France, Paris, 1981. On the Rue de l'Ancienne Com?die. I sometimes saw Chatwin there...

Wait. What was that sound? Like the slow bubbles of burping lava coming from the apartment!
Old May 20th, 2001, 12:51 AM   #26
Terri

It had to be the Veg-O-Matic torture kit....
Old May 20th, 2001, 01:57 AM   #27
Lou
Idealist

Or a salad shooter? Or fries bubbling in oil? I shuddered a little and reached for the front door buzzer.
Old May 20th, 2001, 08:17 AM   #28
Terri

My finger hesitated over the buzzer as I anticipated the thought that someone may have a Daisy Seal-A-Meal in there, but my courage overtook my common sense and I rang.
Old May 20th, 2001, 01:07 PM   #29
roo

I heard someone scream, "Wait just a damn minute will you?" Then a slow thumping, it grew closer asnd closer.
I held the ginsu blade in front of me, as I crouched low. The door opened slowly, creaking protest.

The bright lights inside made it hard to make out who had answered the door. Slowly I made out two golden arches embroidered on a visor. I couldn't help myself, I blurted out "...HOLD THE PICKLES HOLD THE LETTUCE.."

The person roared at me and...
Old May 20th, 2001, 01:51 PM   #30
Lou
Idealist

. . . said, <FONT SIZE=+2>"Special orders DO upset us!"</FONT>