Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old June 6th, 2001, 09:20 AM   #61
roo

Across the street a gunshot sounded, it's echo like a frieght train barrelling through a tunnel.
Old June 7th, 2001, 01:06 PM   #62
Lou
Idealist

You know how people who aren't used to hearing gunshots say things like, "I thought it was firecrackers?" Their memory tricks them, makes them hook up the sound with something they already know. I know the sound of gunfire. And I know Clancy. He almost knocked me over as he sped past toward the sound.
Old June 7th, 2001, 03:39 PM   #63
roo

I wondered, briefly, if he was wearing Kelvar Pantyhose.
Old June 13th, 2001, 11:39 AM   #64
Lou
Idealist

I followed Clancy down the stairs, boa feathers flying around like ashes in a brushfire. At the door, we stopped, looked at each other, Clancy nodded, and I pushed open the street door. The smell of gunfire was in the air, that pale pre-dawn air. In the street, I spied a woman's body lying face-up--blonde, red sequins, a red high-heel shoe that had tumbled away. Pronto--because I'm a PI--my eyes swept the block. I almost could not believe what I saw...
Old June 13th, 2001, 01:04 PM   #65
Terri

A helicopter hovering above the downed citizen with three commandos being lowered on cables. Clancy was eyeing the red pumps with passionate longing until I told him to look up.
Old June 14th, 2001, 10:14 AM   #66
roo

I started singing Airborne jody calls. What can I say, it was in my blood. When I saw the first dope-on-a-rope slide down the quick rapell line, I screamed out "AIR ASSUALT!" at the top of my lungs. God how I missed being a Screaming Eagle.
Old June 19th, 2001, 11:40 AM   #67
roo

Am I the only one who remembers Boo, Minsic's hamster?
Old June 19th, 2001, 12:27 PM   #68
Lou
Idealist

Hamsters? Eagles? My mind runs to metaphor. I elbowed Clancy as the commandoes snatched the body--plus the loose shoe--swung madly back up and into the chopper. And they were gone, much as an eagle might make off with a hamster. Clancy said, "And that was?"
Old May 28th, 2002, 06:40 PM   #69
Terri

And that was when I went on vacation last year and forgot all about this pitiful story! Shall we pick up where we left off?
Old January 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM   #70
annebebe

New Story?

It would be great to get a story going again, but this one has been left for so long that it is hard to rekindle it. I'll try to start one, or if anyone wants to start something else I'll join in!

Marian was the only person she knew
who could actually smell water! Not the polluted dribble from a domestic tap, but the clear running stream that others can hear when close enough. This talent, and her firm refusal to ever fly were to prove her undoing.
Old January 21st, 2003, 03:43 PM   #71
LiamFan!

"What do you mean, you're taking a ship across the Atlantic?" Marian's mother asked with a familiar tone of dismay.

Marian tapped the travel folders with the tips of her fingers and closed her eyes, counting silently to herself.

"Marian?"

"Yes."

"Reasonable people fly."

Marian said nothing.

"A reasonable person would fly across an ocean, Marian, not sail across like some kind of vagabond."
Old January 21st, 2003, 03:52 PM   #72
Terri

"Okay Mother, I concede your point. But being that I am not a reasonable person in your broad sense of the word, and the scent of the ocean when I inhale is what makes the blood in my veins red, what seems unreasonable to anyone else, seems like the most natural thing in the world to me."
Old January 21st, 2003, 04:15 PM   #73
annebebe

The door slam made her mother grimace through her resignation. She knew that her daughter's independence was her own fault. "With the 70's like this, what can the future hold", she sighed to the only being within earshot. Lucy, her manx cat showed no overt sympathy.
Meanwhile, Marian slumped on the sofa, watching television, and dreaming of the voyage ahead.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:24 AM   #74
mary
SHIMMERINGUNICORN

What am I doing watching t.v. she scoled herself. Marian had a lot of packing to do. She would have to make a list for everything she would need. How many bags would she need? Oh she thought I will take the 5 little ones and the steamer trunk. Now to write down what I need to take with me. Hmm number one my tooth brush. number two...
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:40 AM   #75
LiamFan!

...my journal.

She opened the front cover and started reading. She'd started the journal two years before, committed to daily entries. The daily commitment lasted about a week, before she fell into her old high-school habit of filling every day with "Getting late. More tomorrow!"

She picked up a pen, scribbling a chaotic jumble of pen marks in the margin.