Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Religion & Spirituality

Old July 16th, 2001, 01:21 PM   #1
Sabra

For me, there is a huge difference, between spirituality and religion. I don't think one has to be religious to be in touch with their spirits/spirituality, nor does one have to be spiritual to be religious. So what does this mean to you? Do you think religion and spirituality are synonymous or different?
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2001, 08:45 AM   #2
Feburary Sister

The God(s) don't/doesn't go to church

I quite agree. A friend of mine once said you find God in spite of the church not because of it. It seems to me that all religions are a way of bartering Spirit. I have a little special relationship with god and i'll barter it to you for ...money / obedience / respect / whatever. I believe that people together can raise Spirit among them, that Spirit decends from the clouds like a dove and sits on our shoulders, that people are baptisted in Spirit in water and love, that every act of love is a slice of Spirit passed along. I have never felt Spirit in ritual and so I cannot comment on it.
Feburary Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:53 PM   #3
susan white

I think sprituality is having a closer realtionship with God. With religion you can go through the motions, but you never really "feel" the emotions!

I've had both. Sprituality feels right for me, religion does not.
Old January 9th, 2002, 09:24 PM   #4
tupi

I believe many religious people also feel the emotions of their spiritual commitment. Probably many don't, but to think they all are just going through the motions is naive.

I believe spirituality is ones personal relationship with God or the spirits as they chose to call them. Religion is a defined course of spiritual practice.

One might be deeply spiritual and have no religious affiliation at all. A deeply religious person is likely deeply spiritual, as well. However, simply being religious does not, IMHO, mean one is a spiritual being.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #5
PrincessArista

hmmm

I guess you could say I'm neither religious nor spiritual, as while I do believe in God, I don't believe God is active in our lives. IMO, praying is merely a "feel good" activity, similar to talking to a therapist or writing down your feelings.

I do have very deep feelings regarding God, but as far as having what my mother calls a "relationship" with God, nope. Don't do that.
PrincessArista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 07:26 PM   #6
bonbinino

to PrincessArista

i am new to this site and saw your message. if you do believe in God, but you have no relationship with it, you are neither spiritual nor religious, how do you explain this ? What exactly do you believe in ?
bonbinino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2002, 01:17 AM   #7
Mari333

Sabra, to me.. religion = spirituality with politics.
Mari333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:20 AM   #8
Sabra

To me Mari, spirituality is who you are inside, how you feel about life, what you do with it and has absolutely nothing to do with religion. It's your strength, your inner voice, your direction, which I have never experienced in a "religion"
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #9
debday

Wink desperately seeking my old friends!!!

hi to everyone!!
have been offline for last 17 mos. and have missed you all too much to say.
think i may have figured out how to get into ws room, but can never find anyone there. is there some other place i can find all my wonderful old roommies???

sabra, hey there.
tried calling you, but haven't heard back - so hope you are settling in ok. (don't have your email, but am at long last at least back on line)

hugs to all you great women!
debday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #10
LiamFan!

debday: I put this info after your question in another topic, but may as well put it here, too!

Go here to find out about chatroom connection details:

http://www.wowwomen.com/wowchat.shtml

Maybe I'll see you there!
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #11
debday

back home again

thanks so much liam fan!!!!!!!!!
it was kind of you to take the time.
i look forward to seeing you in the chat, now that i have found my way home again! hugs.
debday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:52 PM   #12
Sabra

debday, sending you email with my new phone number, which it seems you've lost already ROFL. Cell phone doesn't work well here, oh well
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #13
Sabra

As I sit and watch my father decline, having moved cross country back to where I grew up......and I'm not happy I'm finding myself talking to the Universe more, not promising anything, just talking. Do any of you talk to the Universe, your god/goddess just to make yourself sane? or saner? or just because?
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM   #14
Angel_Wolf

Yes I do.....for it makes my day seem less crazy!
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #15
Sabra

Geesh, thanks Wolfie.....sigh life just sucks sometimes