Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Announcements & Information

Old March 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #76
brede
my new motorcycle

When I remarried, Pirate was 8. Hubby and I married after 6 week courtship (hey that was over 15 years ago! see it can work *grin*) We had a long talk before we were married and agreed that we wanted one parent at home even though it meant a lower income. I got the better job, so he was the "househusband." We also talked about our beliefs about child rearing and agreed never to disagree in front of Pirate. It was probably the best thing we've ever done. Pirate thinks of Hubby as his real Dad and says that he is very happy with the values we taught him and was finally able to understand why his father and I divorced. (Father-career military officer; Me - old hippie) Even though he lived with his birth dad during High School (birthdad has 3X our financial resources), and since we moved, we are now 30 minutes away from bdad, Pirate will live with us when he gets out of the Navy and goes to college.

The old nasty stepparent is a myth. Hubby has always been a blessing to both of us. The trick was to always talk to each other about how to handle things.
brede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #77
LiamFan!

Pirate! What a great name! Is that his nickname, or real name?
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #78
brede
my new motorcycle

His real name is Andrew. As a kid, we called him Andy, but, now that he is an adult, he prefers to be called Drew. For some dumb reason, this Mom can't seem to make the switch to Drew. However, I now think of him and call him Pirate. When he is up to no good (fairly often), hubby and I call him the dread pirate. The dread Pirate came from a picture he sent us while he was very drunk in a bar in Turkey.

As soon as I get enough messages posted or can figure out how to insert stuff into messages, I'll send the picture that explains it all.

Actually, the first time he came home on leave (before he went into Bush's war), made all these pirate noises. Arrrgh, matey! And they were really good. He has also hated the Navy from the first day of basic training and he's a natural born anarchist (I wonder where that came from!!).

If you want, I can email the picture to you. He has turned into a real hunk!
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #79
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

brede he sounds like a character and being the mother of three grown sons myself, I love the "characters"!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #80
brede
my new motorcycle

A character doesn't even begin to describe him. When he was 20, he braided his long hair into pigtails, went to the mall, sat on Santa's lap and had his picture taken. Then he framed up the picture and gave it to me for Christmas. It rates in the top 3 of the best Christmas presents I've ever received. LOL!!!

My hat is off to you having raised THREE boys. One was a handful for me!
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #81
brede
my new motorcycle

Hey LiamFan!!!

What did you think of Pirate's picture?
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #82
LiamFan!

It's wonderful! I'll email you back soon.
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #83
brede
my new motorcycle

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old March 13th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #84
gsf

crazymomma,thank you for your reply about tooth fairy.It's an interesting story.I'm sorry to be late for saying thanking you.
gsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #85
cookieart
You've got a friend !

hello

I'm just popping in to say hello to everyone,haven't been here too much but I always think of the good old days. Love to all!
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #86
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

gsf no problem. I know you've been busy with your mom.Cookieart welcome back! Haven't seen you around in a while. How have you been?
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #87
brede
my new motorcycle

Hi All, Just wanted to stop in and let you know I'm still here! I've had a busy week with my sick dog and my sick body. I'm just kicking back and relaxing today.
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #88
cookieart
You've got a friend !

Crazymomma!!

Hey Crazym!
I miss ya girlie,I didn't think anyone would reply or remember me but you did and that made me feel wonderful,thank you!!
Been busy with petsitting even tho business is slow and some customers have lost their dogs to cancer sad to say.The holidays and vacation times are my best working times,I stay overhouses for two weeks and pretend to be a millionair in a mansion,lol! I would work for applewoman but she lives to far,darn it! Who else is still around?? I can't paint anymore,I lost use of holding a brush in my hand since my fault a few years ago.Oh well. Let me know how you are!!
Hugs,
Cooks
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #89
susieB

omg {{{{crumbie}}}} I have missed you so much! I don't have your email addy and you never seeem to be on MSN anymore!!! How are you sweety?

bunsie

xoxx
susieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #90
IRISH_EYES_99

Hi all,
brede, what a great story. I have two daughters and a son. My son is the apple of my eye has always given me a run for my money.
ahhhh how to keep up with them.
Although my oldest daughter hmmm did I say I stopped coloring my hair. rofl My middle child was always the quiet one until she hit "not her teens" but after that.. we now have a wonderful working relationship.

My son I swear kissed the blarney stone before he was born. Forget the wrapped around the finger he has the whole hand. lol

Funny thing my oldest is now married with 4 kids of her own. She called me up awhile ago and I'm still laughing.. she apologized for anything and everything she did in life. She has wonderful kids, but they now give her a 'run for her money" .
And like you not six weeks but they met in the month of Feb.. dated in April..engaged in May.. Married in Aug. that was almost 12 years ago..

((((((((( hugs to all ))))))) I really should change my nic to Rambling Rose lol

Truth be told I wouldn't trade a one of them for a minute .. and yes that includes my son in law.