Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old January 12th, 2001, 10:02 PM   #1
QuietWOW
WOW Host

So, how long have you smoked? And how many times have you tried to give it up? Does anyone have any answers?
QuietWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2001, 08:34 PM   #2
MagnusPI

Quiting is hard to do!

I have been smoke free for 15 months after over 20 years of smoking and more attempts to quit then I could ever try to count.

This time I went to my Doc and asked for meds to help make it easier. There are some great websites out there for folks who want to quit and also support groups. Don't give up if the first attempt to quit doesn't work. From what I read it could take up to 5 times to actually quit for good.

Old February 26th, 2001, 11:45 AM   #3
Feline3940

In twenty minutes, it will be exactly forty days without a cigarette.

I initially started gaining weight but immediately starting chewing straws and gum and forcing myself to go to the gym and not eat carbs. So far, I have 6 pounds I have to lose but that is nothing.

WhooHooo for you MagnusPI. No more supporting the Tobacco Industry. Ya know, it was easy to quit after I had read John Grishams book "The Runaway Jury".

I had quit cold turkey in 1982, and then began smoking again thinking it would help me not gain weight when I lost my job, and because the guy I was dated smoked. Well, I gained the weight anyway and dumped the boyfriend who turned out to be a vicious alcoholic. Then I was left smoking. :-(

That was June of 1994 when I began again. So, hopefully, not so much damage that quitting now won't cure. I hope.
Feline3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2001, 01:49 PM   #4
roo

Cool cheating

I've tried cold turkey.patches.gum. only thing I havent tried is zyban (my HMO wont cover it.)

I am quitting by cheating I have to have major surgery and will be in intensive care for 2 days and medsurg for 2 days. I will be doped up to the gills and not allowed to smoke. I plan on quitting then, it couldnt get easier I figure. SInce the first 4 days are y worst and I am an evil troll during those 4 days.

I also figure if I keep practicing quitting one day I'll stay quit. I am proud of you (((((feline)))))) you inspire me because we're so alike
roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2001, 02:39 PM   #5
Terri

Hi everyone! I quit smoking in 1982 finally after I don't know how many tries. I love to help people to quit and I have some tips that might help you. They helped me, I learned them when I volunteered at a 5 day to quit smoking program. I guess the first thing is that you really really have to want to quit. When you have decided that then here are some things that are helpful to keep you away from the cigs.

1. Throw away your cigarettes and do not try to "taper" off. You will continue to crave nicotine if you do that.

2. Take frequent showers and scrub with a loofa. This helps to remove the nicotine and poisons that your body is expelling - getting the residue off your skin helps to cut down on the cravings.

3. Drink gallons of orange juice. Cigarettes deplete the vitamin C in your body and while you are quitting, the nicotine that is left in your system carries the vitamin C out with it. Also for some reason orange juice helps cut down craving also.

4. Stay away from red meats and gravies. They make you crave.

5. Remember that you are over the PHYSICAL addiction in 5 days!! That is really not long at all. From then on out it is all in your haid!

I'm no expert or physician, but as one who smoked for many years and have helped other people to quit I know that these things work! Good Luck.

Old March 14th, 2001, 07:44 PM   #6
mickey

I've tried to quit so many times it's rediculous. I've been smoking for 30 years and the last time I tried, I used the patch. Unfortunately I cheated and made myself deathly sick.

My problem is when the cravings get back I start asking myself why I'm trying to quit. And can't come up with a good reason. : (

This time I'm tapering off. I'm spacing them farther and farther apart and I'm up to an hour and a half between cigarettes. I'm also taking Kava-Kava to keep from getting so tense. I hope it works.

I can't do it cold turkey. I get to be such a witch that hubby tells me to go have a cigarette.

My fingers are crossed.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2001, 09:05 PM   #7
No_More_Attitude

Talking quitting smoking

First off all, congrats to all who have quit...and to those thinking about it. That's the first step!

Second of all, I agree with Terri. You give out great advice! For some people, me being one of them, tapering doesn't work.

I had to do it cold turkey, but I was a three pack a day smoker for over a decade. I quit March 13, 1999 at 10:02 PM, now is that the sign of an addict or what?

A support system is vital. Want to know one of my secrets? Whenever I think I want a cigarette, I go hang out with a buddy who smokes. If the smoke doesn't get to me first, I look my friend over carefully for holes in his or her clothes. When I see them I smile. I'm sure it's quite evil, the smile, I mean.

When I quit, I went through PMS at the same time; I'm certain I was just a joy to be around. Of all things, I found the first 48 hours the worst. Each hour was one hour to blow if I picked up another cigarette. Each additional hour smoke-free gave me new confidence. I lost count of how many times I tried to quit before that!

K.
Old October 27th, 2001, 10:08 PM   #8
Minty_Femme

I quit smoking almost 9 ys ago.. cold turkey. But then again it wasn't hard for me as it is for others. I was smoking less then a pack of ciggerettes a week and had only been smoking for about 10 yrs off and on. Oh I still crave a ciggerette from time to time.. I take on drag and start coughing LOL. I have tried to be a supportive partner of an ex who tried to quit smoking. That was hard. He would be smoke free for days some times weeks then he would start smoking again. I think for my sanity I won't try to help a partner quit smoking again. Ifmy partner chooses to quit smoking I will be there but I won't be part of the process .
Minty_Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2001, 12:47 PM   #9
nunzy

i have set my quit date

i have finally made the choice to quit. The biggest reason is my own health my other reasons are my kids and my home.I really want to quit. The doc is going to give me zyban to help me with it . I think the biggest fear i have is failing.Hubby smokes and his attitude is it is his house too and he pays the mortgage so he can smoke in it. i am 33 and have smoked since i was 13 smoke at least a pack a day. At work i dont know what i will do on my break. Maybe i wont take one.I am honestly going to try to make it this time.
nunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2001, 01:04 PM   #10
susieBsnowflake

Quitting Smoking

Congratulations nunzy! Making the decision to quit is the 1st step.

Mr. Susie quit last February, after smoking for 20 yrs., and he used Zyban also. It is a little expensive, but he said it worked really well. After the 1st few days, he had no cravings at all!

As for quitting for your kids, good for you! I believe every adult has to make his or her own choices about their own bodies, but kids cant make that choice, they have to live there whether mom and dad smoke or not......

Maybe Mr. Nunzy would consider smoking outside? Even all those years that my hubby smoked, he did it outside right from the moment we knew I was expecting. That was what he felt was right......(Just our opinion)

Good luck to you hun!

susieBsnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM   #11
Christyrose

I have been smoking since I was 12 years old. I am now 52 years old. I have gone from 10 cigs a week to 2 packs a day. My life depended on me to quit smoking. (severe Peripheral Vascular Disease and Aortoiliac Occlusive Disease) The doctor gave me Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. Wellbutrin is the same as Zyban. Your insurance will cover Wellbutrin. I used this med twice a day for about 3 weeks cutting back on cigs as I did. Finally said to my self how stupid, taking meds to quit and still smoking.

Its been 30 days now that I have not smoked.

I still crave, I still want, till I smell it.. oh boy does it stink.

Talk to your Doctor, see if he has any samples to give.

I also used Terri ideas in helping, yes the orange juice is a great factor. I used it when I was taking the meds and one extra glass a day. I also lost nine pounds so far. I was prepared not to take one bad habit into another.

Ok so you failed once, try again. Just keep trying. It will happen.
Christyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 01:08 PM   #12
Terri

YAYYYYYy for you Christy...clap..clap..clapp

I'm pulling for you. Cigarettes are the number one killer of adult women today...Lung cancer being the first risk factor and heart disease being the second. Men run the cigarette companies! As I look around the college campus where I attend I do not see a downward trend in smoking among women. So many beautiful young women sucking on cigarettes breaks my heart. My mother was 61 when she died of lung cancer after an absolutely horrible 18 months of chemotherapy. She didn't need to die that young. A lifetime of cigarettes robbed her of knowing most of her grandchildren. Her choice I know but still. We also watched as my mother in law drowned in her own body fluids from emphysema, not a pretty way to go either. I love the new truth ads and isn't it ironic that the tobacco companies are paying for them as part of their settlement for killing hundreds of thousands of people. Keep it up y'all who are quitting or have quit or are thinking about quitting. I don't know how anyone can afford to smoke anymore anyway...my husband still smokes and I am appalled at the cost of cigarettes.
Old September 1st, 2002, 08:07 PM   #13
Angel_Wolf

Talking My thoughts on this.......

(((((((((ChristyRose)))))))))
((((((((Terri))))))))
Just to let you all know that I have quit smoking as of August 14 this year. I know not that long but I quit due to a chest cold I had. Now it seems weird to me not to be smoking especially around others who are puffing away. I am still sick since now I have an middle ear infection from that cold. I am losing weight only because I dont feel hungry. Yet any thing that keeps your hands busy helps I have found out. Also, watch what you do eat. I dont know of any tricks that helps but I would love to know them. Way to go! all of you former smokers! By the way, I am now saving 100.50 dollars by not smoking per month can you imagine if that was the name brand? eek! lol Stay Strong!
Old September 2nd, 2002, 07:43 PM   #14
anniejoan

Hi pumpkinhead.
What Canadian magazine are you referring to?
Old September 3rd, 2002, 10:34 PM   #15
anniejoan

Hi hi Pumpkinhead!

Best of luck with your article. Chatelaine is a long standing, popular Canadian magazine.

I'm in the process of quitting smoking...but am not interested in being profiled in a magazine.

Hope you find the women you need for your article.