Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old November 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #31
appletreewoman

I do not know how any of you feel about it but I quit smoking three years ago with the help of zy abn,,,...and I actually lost weight while I was on it...the first two weeks you smoke and then gradually just stop wanting it...you do get cotton mouth though when you do smoke... I help this helps at least one person..thanks for reading this. and by the way my teeth became a little brighter after quitting.
appletreewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 07:43 PM   #32
anniejoan

Congratulations ((((( apple ))))) WTG!

I've discussed different options with my doctor. So far, I'm doing ok with my gameplan. If I find I'm at the point where I just can't get past that last hurdle and give them up completely, she suggested I come back to see her. And, yes. She too mentioned Zyban. She seemed to prefer that than the patch.
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #33
Christyrose

Apple that is wonderful, 3 full years of no smoking. I also notice a difference in my teeth, and my mouth. My mouth is not as dry anymore or have a burning sensation. One of my friends remarked that my voice is changing as well. I'm not coughing as I thought I would. I have heard so many stories about coughing after you quit smoking. One other thing I have really noticed, is less chest pain, trying to catch a breath, is the only way I can explain it. This has alot to do with mixture of my illness and smoking, but I am sure all that smoked have felt that as well.

Annie it sounds like you found your own way to quit. As long as your way keeps working that is wonderful. But, as the doctor offered there are ways to help when your ready for them.

The patch is the roughest way to go. You cannot smoke while your using the patch at all. I remember a lady at work did that. She had a heart attack at work and died that night. She was only 42 yrs old. I knew then I could never use the patch.

Now the other word for Zyban is Wellbutrin SR. They are one in the same pill but used for different reasons so hense the different names. They both work the same way. Wellbutrin is used in medical and Zyban the medical treatment for smoking. Wellbutrin is covered by insurance, Zyban is not. Plus, most doctors have samples of the Wellburtrin and will give them to you for free, to help.

You take the pills 2x a day, morning and night. You smoke one less cig per day. I started at 10 a day, at the end of 2 weeks I was done. Thought it was stupid to take a pill and keep smoking. Thats when I realized the urge was totally gone.

When I was a kid, we had a field trip to the University of Michigan Medical School. One thing really stands out in my mind. A disected lung of a human who smoke in comparison next to it was a human lung that did not smoke. To bad I was to young to understand what that mean to me, later in my life.

If this helps one person, its worth repeating over and over. But, as I have said before, It does not matter how many times you have tried to stop, what matters is that one week you did stop.
Christyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM   #34
appletreewoman

I agree, I think I was more upbeat when I was taking zyban...And i always told myself when I smoked that I was not coughin I just had a frog in my throat...nothing like lying to yourself. When I tried the patch I just broke out in every spot I put it. I smoked for for about 15 years and all it took me was two weeks also.good luck everyone and remember once you do quit ...do not even light a cig for someone else...lol now I can hardly stand the smell of cigs, but there are times I dream about them..but I will never put one in my mouth again...and I know all my roomie friends can be as stubborn as me...take care all
Old November 10th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #35
anniejoan

Hi hi Christyrose and apple.

I am still feeling confident and motivated to quit smoking. If I get to the point were I just can't seem to let go of those last ones, I'll be making an appointment with my doctor to discuss the quit smoking options again.

It has helped that I have made my place a no smoking zone so when I have to go outside in this colder weather, it is even less appealing! And it has made a world of difference in the amount I smoke because this used to be the one place I smoked whenever I wanted. So, having changed that smoking pattern has really been helpful. And the biggest change of all is not smoking while on the computer! I still take a break for a smoke while chatting, but I am so glad I have resisted the impulse to just forget going outside for a smoke and have one while sitting here. If I did that, I'd be right back up there smoking as many cigs as I wanted.

/me sends support and best of luck to all those struggling to quit smoking.
Old November 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #36
Christyrose

I smoked for 30 years, and quit in 2 weeks. I was 12 yrs old stealing my fathers cigs and going behind the garage to smoke. After all it was the cool thing to do. Near the end of my decision of quiting, I would drive for 8 to 10 hours and during this time I had smoke close to a Pack of cig! Then the next time I would drive I would not smoke at all. I made many rules to follow to quit. It was when I came home and was told by the doctor if I do not quit I will die. All rules changed. The medicine took the anxity away, and the stress level fell to. I was a little happy camper.

If you can quit with out the meds, it would be wonderful. I wish you the best of luck.
Old November 10th, 2002, 07:14 PM   #37
appletreewoman

I am glad you are still working on quitting annie...good for you. and I am totally glad you quit christy. The cost of cigerettes are outrages we ought to have a boston cigerette party they are being taxed to death. quitting helped me save a ton of money, I spend it other ways though...good luck to all quitters.
Old November 10th, 2002, 07:39 PM   #38
IRISH_EYES_99

Thumbs up

Kudos to (((((( ChristyRose, anniejoan, appletreewoman, and CAB ))))))
It's a hard job to quit I applaud you.

Grew up in a house that my father smoked not filtered cigarettes. struggled with broncitis all my life.Married a man who smokes so when I put the no smoking in the house rule into effect 2 years ago my broncitis has had less flare ups. So it does effect those around too.

I would love to see the man I love stop, but he is not ready to try yet. When he does I'll be right there for him.

My sister lost the lower lobe of her right lung from Cancer that is when she stopped. luckily she has not had a recurrance of it.
So please hang in there again I applaud your effort and your successes. If by chance you start to slide back.. Remember to try again. God Bless each of you.. Much good luck wishes headed your way .
Old November 10th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #39
appletreewoman

thanks irish, I will not slide back, I totally refuse to smoke and smoking is not happening in my house. I have ashtrays outside.
Old November 10th, 2002, 10:08 PM   #40
IRISH_EYES_99

woohooo(((( appletreewoman ))))) good for you (((((anniejoan))))) I think the way you are handling it is great. WTG
((((( Tupi))))) ((((((CAB))))) just to let you know I"m thinking of you and wish you strength to do what you must. Please if I can help in anyway.. call me, email me. My heart goes out to you.
((((( ChristyRose )))))) you also please know that.
Old November 10th, 2002, 10:13 PM   #41
anniejoan

Thanks everyone.
Old November 10th, 2002, 10:57 PM   #42
Christyrose

Hi ya Irish! I am really sorry about your sister. I pray that it never comes back to her.

This board has been a big help for me and I just want to say thank you to all. Its just being see I am not the only one that is/was addict or struggled in quiting. Terri's posting was a huge help for me.

Thanks for the help and strengh.. we all ROCK!!
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:10 AM   #43
creative_scrawl

(((((((((Christyrose)))))))) I will have quit smoking four years ago in March, so I can tell you that it does get easier.

I smoked three packs a day for over a decade, and to be honest, I was more afraid of the damage I was doing to others more than I was of the damage of I was doing to myself.

I really wanted to quit. LOL, you know, I didn't really struggle after the first few weeks. I'd get so far and then have a dream that I'd smoked. Well, I'd wake up wanting a smoke.

It was worth it, my friend. I no longer have holes in my clothes, worry about accidently setting the house on fire, giving others cancer, or any of the other negative things that go along with smoking.

I'd probably tried about a dozen times before I quit for good. I'd tried everything, so finally, I did it cold turky. For me, that's what I needed to do. It's probably not much help, but you can do it. I know you can!
Old November 22nd, 2002, 10:12 AM   #44
Christyrose

((((creative )))) Thank you for your support.. I am glad you quit also. I should have quit smoking long time ago.

I was the same way about smoking in the house.. You where not allowed to smoke in bedrooms, bathrooms or basement. I was always worried about a fire.

I think the worst part is certain foods set off the want of that smoke. I get that taste in my mouth, then I have a real need that goes away in few seconds, minutes.. its worse when a smoker is around me. The need it greater till I smell their breath or cloths.. its bad and the craving is gone.
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #45
antiana

I quit smoking Jan. 6, 2003. I refuse to be the slave to nicotine any longer. I cut down for a few months to 10 ciggies a day and only smoked outside. I smoked for over 35 years and I've had it.
The first week hasn't been tough. And I bought the gum to help and have only used 4 pcs. And don't plan on using anymore.
On the other hand my puter broke down on Dec.20th and I miss it terribly. Go figure.

Good luck to those who want to quit. and congrats to those who have. As far as I am concerned nicotine should be banned and those who sell and profit should go to jail. Highly addictive and highly destructive. imho