Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old January 14th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #46
anniejoan

Wooooohooooooo ((((( anti ))))))) I'm proud of you, sweetie. WTG!
Old January 14th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #47
annebebe

I had tried everything to quit smoking, and always starting well but eventually failed! Then I found a way, that truely worked.........!

It's a small paperback book called "Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking". This man spoke as an ex-smoker and cut through all the rubbish spoken by the health departments concerning will-power and the traditional punishment that we smokers are supposed to suffer to kick the habit. It was really wonderful, and has thankfully worked for me, with (as the back cover says) no scare tactics, NO WEIGHT GAIN, and you must smoke while reading the book!!

Sounds crazy? Yes, but it works so well. It costs about $12 (a guess, as I'm in Europe). I have no links to Alan Carr, and only read the book. I believe that he is a godsend, and can help so many more of us to succeed to be happy non-smokers.

Not wanting to smoke is great!
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #48
sunflower

Hope to quit again

Quiting smoking is one of the hardest things I have done. The first time was for two years. Then when I found out I was preg with my first child in 1990 I quit the same day. It was easy then but after 6 years I started again. I have been smoking since 1996 now. I want to quit again as I have increased my smoking to 1 1/2 packs a day.

My Mom is 75 and she had smoked for over sixty years. But she has been smoke free for a year now. So if she can do it I certainly can again.

Good luck to those that have quit
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #49
Angel_Wolf

(((((((Sunflower))))))))) at first things seem hard and impossible. I was told by a good person that a craving only last three to five minutes...so if you can keep yourself busy or get busy when the cravings hit then you will be doing great! Just watch out cause the food monster will hit and then you wil balloon up in size. UGH! LOL But if I can do after doing something similar to you then I know you can! Have a great day!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:24 AM   #50
sunflower

Thank you ((((((((Angel Wolf))))))))

But for now I will try to cut down
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:10 PM   #51
annebebe

Please, Sunflower, at least look through Alan Carr's book in your local bookshop. No need to buy it, but it's cheaper than patches and gum, and far more useful! At least you will learn that spending money on substitutes is a waste!! Best wishes
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM   #52
sunflower

(((((( Annebebe ))))))

Thanks Anne I will at least look at it.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #53
MarbMary

I'm 53, I started when I was 15, and I still smoke. I have been truly quit 3 times in my life; my first pregnancy, half of my second, and more recently, a 5-year stretch that ended late last winter when I caved in again. I found each quit to be harder than the one before it. And this last time, the addiction really came back with a vengeance; that first day, I simply couldn't get enough, I smoked until I was hoarse. I'll have to have professional help if I'm to quit again.

Even while I was quit this last time, the cravings never went away, I was just managing them. Maybe I'll try to quit again, but with the cost of NRT, it's seemingly cheaper, and definately easier, to just go on smoking. To compensate, I've compiled a list of things I do to try to be as healthy as possible otherwise, as well as some other interesting readings.

http://www.geocities.com/mary_s_1951/healthy.html
http://www.geocities.com/mary_s_1951/chic.html
http://www.geocities.com/mary_s_1951/lights.html

regards,
Mary
MarbMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:17 AM   #54
TaintedEyes

Hey ladies, many of you know me, I am going to try to quit smoking starting monday. I live with my mother, as she needs help financially, but she smokes. My question is, is it harder to quit when someone in the same house hold smokes? I've been smoking for 14 years and I'm not even 25 yet. I know this will be a hard thing to do, but I need to do it. When I get sick, I feel I am getting sicker because I smoke, and need to quit. For the betterment of my life as well as my partners. She's allergic to cigarette smoke, so when we go out we can't stay out for long periods of time because her chest tightens up and she begins to have chest pains and shortness of breath. I will try the orange juice method. I like orange juice. My worries are about gaining weight. I'm no olive oil, and prolly will never be one, but I am of the heavier side of the world and really don't want to be gaining any more weight.
Has anyone tried that smoke away that they show on tv? Does it really work. I quit cold turkey for 8 weeks when I went to a summer camp, but when I came back from it, I started again from being in the same house hold as 2 smokers. Wish me luck and any advise would be wonderful. Talk to ya'll later on.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:58 PM   #55
MarbMary

Quote:
Originally posted by TaintedEyes
...I am going to try to quit smoking starting monday. I live with my mother, as she needs help financially, but she smokes...I quit cold turkey for 8 weeks when I went to a summer camp, but when I came back from it, I started again from being in the same house hold as 2 smokers...
You already know, "out of sight, out of mind". It would be GREAT if you and your mum quit together! You'll have to be very strong and determined otherwise. I was quit for 5 years, and keeping myself distant from smoking situations helped greatly. Then I started dating a smoker, and within a month I caved in and was smoking again. Not that I blame him, I know that it was my choice and I made it.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM   #56
sunflower

Hi TaintedEyes !!

I will be smoke free for one year on May 13 Woooo Hoooo. Taps self on back LOL

It is one of the hard things I have overcome. And yes it is going to be harder if you are around other smokers.

The thing that helps me is I don't tend to hang out with smokers I can't stand the smell. ( Don't know hubby ever could kiss me yuk )

Yes I did put on weight but now its time to start losing it and so I have put my mind on doing that . I have lost just over 12 pounds so far

One other thing I did and am doing is I have been putting away every week that money and so far I have paid for a trip to the West Coast that I will be going on this summer.Whatever is left is my spending money so this trip has cost me nothing

Don't worry about your weight right away just consentrate on not smoking the weight loss will follow when you are ready.

I wish you all the best and I know you can do it
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #57
MarbMary

I wouldn't mind talking about patches. Does anybody here have experience with them? I've tried gum, but that's like Dentyne to me. I'm not up to quitting right now, but I wouldn't mind cutting back my consumption, and I'm wondering if patches would help curve the cravings, or if I'd just be setting myself up to get more hooked.

Regards,
Mary
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #58
WillowWOW
Whimisical WOW

((((((((MarybMary))))))))))) I didnt use the patch I just quit cold turkey. Well I also had a nasty cold at the time thus smoking a cigarette very nasty tasting to me. So I wish you the best in your endeavors!
Have a great day!
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #59
MarbMary

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowWOW
((((((((MarbMary))))))))))) I didnt use the patch I just quit cold turkey...
I've been quit 3 times, and it was cold turkey all three. But I don't know if I'm up to doing it again.
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #60
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

MarybeMary, the other night I saw an ad on tv about a new product. I think you can only order it for tv. but it's this liquid that comes in a bottle that looks like eye drops. you just put a drop on the filter and it keep the nicotin for coming through. This way you can quit at your own pace and use it when you want. Over time the body stops craving the nicotin and you just quit. You may want to keep an eye out for it. I hear that if you smoke while wearing the patch it can make you sick. I like wolf quit cild turkey. Best of luck to you and anyone trying to quit. It's not easy.