Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old April 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #61
brede
my new motorcycle

I have tried multiple times to quit smoking but have never been truly successful. The patches do nothing for me as the adhesive burns my skin. The funny thing is, everytime I am hospitalized I quit cold turkey and never miss it. As soon as they let me out, the first thing I do is light a cigarette.

The really odd thing is one of my chronic illnesses is actually under better control when I smoke. As soon as I cut back, the illness hits me with a vengence that doesn't stop until I go back to my normal levels. A recurrence of that particular illness will last for months, so I'm not eager to set it off again.
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #62
MarbMary

According to an article by The Society for Women's Health, nicotine increases serotonin, and other mood elevating chemicals, in the brain. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression in men and women. Women appear to make less of this important chemical than do men, which may help explain why women have nearly twice the rate of depression as do men -- and why women find it harder to quit smoking. Many women who smoke also suffer from depression. The mood improving effects of cigarettes may mask this illness, and keep it from being diagnosed and treated. And lastly, women experience more stress than men do, and rely on cigarettes more to cope.

When I'm ready to quit again (it'll be my 4th!), I'll consider bupropion which has been found effective in helping women quit smoking. This medication does not contain nicotine. I got off of Prozac once; I'd rather not go back!

Studies show that women who quit smoking during the first 14 days of their menstrual cycle, when estrogen levels are at their highest, experience far fewer symptoms of nicotine withdrawal, depression and weight gain than do women who quit during the last 14 days of their cycle, when estrogen levels are at their lowest. For that reason, one should set the quit date to fall shortly after your period ends, and before ovulation, when estrogen levels are highest and most supportive of your efforts to quit.

Patches interest me, but they're pricey, plus I'm worried about getting addicted to them, or even boosting my cig addiction. If anybody has experience with Patches, I'd love to hear from you!

Mary
MarbMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM   #63
brede
my new motorcycle

Thanks for the info related to depression. Since I am post menopause, I don't know when to plan my stop smoking effort!!! In my case, I only make miniscule amounts of seratonin, other endorphins, and neuro adrenalin. Smoking helps with that in my case. The other illness, colitis, is the odd one. Most colitis patients who quit go into major, nasty flares of their disease and as soon as they start again, they get better. Since I currently have a lousy gut doctor, who has basically left me to be treated by his nurse and nurse practitioner (who doesn't like me), I am not about to quit smoking!!!

In the long run, I know that I will be healthier but at the moment I'm terrified to even try to stop.

The nicotine replacement products on the market are used to help you wean off the nicotine by lowering the amount of nicotine step by step. Some people abuse them, which can lead to major health problems. The patch is out for me and the other kinds contain something that causes me to have difficulty breathing. I have to avoid those as well. May be the reason I don't have trouble with quitting when I am in the hospital is because I am usually on lots of morphine! *grin*
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:21 AM   #64
pegasus
, a gr8 peer support

Another reaon to quit

we all know the major reasons to quit, however, there may be one more that is fairly new and maybe it will be for others, as it was for me, the final straw. You see, the various chemicals in cigarettes help radically increase the rate of deterioration of soft tissues, such as vertebral disks. This is true whether or not u have a related disorder, as do i ( degenerative disk disease). I was barely 40 when my 10 year ( or more) fight against this disease culminated in a spinal fusion surgery. ( and I face more in the future, as this disease is incurable.)

My life will never be the same because of my back problems, and now i will never know just how much longer i could have gone without these problems.

I quit smoking, after nearly 30 years of it, the night before my surgery. now it is almost 6 months later and i still struggle almost daily with the desire to smoke. One of MY major problems was that i had less of a nicotine addiction than an oral fixation, and i loved to smoke!!

Although I smoked as my kids grew,(and yes i took it outside at least), I continuallly told them all the reasons why i wish I had never started and, to date, none of them smoke, fortunately.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:06 AM   #65
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

As a child of an adult smoker who didn't "take it outside", I once tried "smoking", when I was 11, to get attention. Other than that, what made me not smoke? arriving at school and smelling my mother's smoke on me - knowing that the other kids smelled it too...and knowing there wasn't a thing I could do about it. When I was 17, I moved out of my mom's house. Everything I owned REEKED of cigarette smoke. I used my first two paychecks to have things drycleaned and to buy stuff to clean them myself. I'll never forget that...and I think that was the cement that sealed it for me for never smoking. I wouldn't let my mother even hold my newborn if she smelled like smoke..that opened her eyes a bit. She has quit for a while off and on over the years, but is smoking again now. I really thought that watching my Aunt (her oldest sister) die of lung cancer would help her in her resolve to quit...but about 3 weeks after my aunt passed away, my mom was smoking again..... Kudos to all who have tried and BIG ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) and thank you's to all who have succeeded!!!
Old October 31st, 2004, 11:45 AM   #66
MintyFemme2

My sister and I were talking about smoking yesterday. I asked her if my neice had quit smoking since she is pregnant. She said she hadn't but had cut down a bit. I told K that I really wished Brina would quit for the simple fact of our family history of bad lungs. I told her how easy it was for me to quit smoking and she reminded me " you were only smoking 1 cigarette a week. " I always was a light smoker and I told myself if cigarettes ever got to be more then $2 a pack I would quit. When I had quit cigarettes wer a little over $2 a pack. It has been 12-13 years and I don't miss them a bit except when I am nervous or sometimes when I drink. Another good thing about me not smoking is that Sallvie probably won't smoke.

I read in Parents Magazine when Sallvie was still young that they had done a survey of preschoolers. About 60% of the preschoolers who said they would smoke when they got older had mothers who smoked compared to the 80% who said they wouldn't smoke because they have non smoking mothers. I don't really know how accurate the survey was but I do know Sallvie will say no if some one offers him a cigarette, he says he will say " Smoking is bad for you"
If you are tring to quit smoking remember it takes practice. My personal motto is that you quit smoking everytime you put out a cigarette. (((((((hugs))))))) to all who have quit and are trying to quit.
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:31 PM   #67
brede
my new motorcycle

I have tried and failed so many times. But the good news is that I am being switched to a brand new antidepressent that work on several areas of the brain. This one is different because it also works on neuroadrenalin. Depressed people are notoriously low in that area and nicotine actually stimulates your body to produce that particular neuro chemical. So, maybe with this new med, I'll finally be able to quit. I hope so.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #68
WillowWOW
Whimisical WOW

Good Luck let me know how you do
Have a great day!
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #69
brede
my new motorcycle

So far, so bad. I am having a very difficult time adjusting to the medication change - which explains my long absense. Plus we finally got Dad to FL and have been helping him move to his new apartment (very posh, includes all meals, cleaning service, utilities, and tons of activities). But, it had to be completely furnished. So, we gave him a whole bunch of stuff that we bought for our house and we will start over.

And there have been other things going on within my family that have just walloped me with stress.

I'm not a happy camper these days. So, I sit and smoke when I actually get a chance to sit. UGH!
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #70
stevesmith

Hi,
Passive smoking is major problem of the general public nowadays.Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and diminishes a person’s overall health.
Here are some harmful effects of smoking:
1. Tobacco smoke also contributes to a number of cancers.
2. The mixture of nicotine and carbon monoxide in each cigarette you smoke temporarily increases your heart rate and blood pressure
3. This can also cause heart attacks and stroke
4. Tar coats your lungs like soot in a chimney and causes cancer.
5. Heart disease and strokes are also more common among smokers than non-smokers.
6. In younger people, three out of four deaths from heart disease are due to smoking.
7. Cigarette smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of low birth weight, prematurity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality in humans, which has been referred to as the fetal tobacco syndrome.
8. Many substance founds in cigarettes may harm the ovaries

Here are some best ways to quit smoking:

1. Start exercising .
2. A positive attitude will help you through the tough times.
3. Eat regular meals
4. Take deep breath
5. Always keep your self busy.
6. It you have urges for smoking then chew some sugarless gum or hard candy.
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #71
keneth

Smoking is not good for health, has ruin many of human lives and disturbance on their lives. I really banned to do smoking. In our everyday life we see many of heart, cancer, diabetes and mouth cancer cases especially in young ones, because of smoking. So try to avoid this bad habit.
keneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #72
rachel72

Quitting smoking is not easy.But we can do it.To have the best chance of quitting and staying quit.We can do it instantly but do it through step by step.Health concerns usually top the list of reasons people give for quitting smoking.This is a very concern: smoking harms nearly every organ of the body.Half of all smokers who keep smoking will end up dying from a smoking-related illness.
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #73
rachel72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel72 View Post
Quitting smoking is not easy.But we can do it.To have the best chance of quitting and staying quit.We can do it instantly but do it through step by step.Health concerns usually top the list of reasons people give for quitting smoking.This is a very concern: smoking harms nearly every organ of the body.Half of all smokers who keep smoking will end up dying from a smoking-related illness.
Gym Des Moines