Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:32 PM   #1
LiamFan!

Reading Journal

Thought it would be cool to have a place where we could keep track of what we've read. For me, this will help to keep my New Year's Resolution of reading more books...if you'd like to join in, please do!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
LiamFan!

I began this book on New Year's Eve and finished it New Year's Day...this is truly phenomenal for me <G>

The Night Listener, by Armistead Maupin
Old January 3rd, 2002, 11:19 AM   #3
kathe nichols

I'm on my second book of the year.. I finished <U>Winter's Heart</U> (book 9 of The Wheel of Time, and it looks like we're in for at least another 3 volumes..!) Jordan completely sucks me in for 800 pages, and it's only afterwards that I realize how little actually <I>happened</I>!

Now I'm reading a really old (20+ years) rendition of the King Arthur story, <U>The Pendragon</U> by Catherine Christian. She seems to be trying to do it without magic... I'm only in chapter 3, so we'll see.

Got a Scientific American hanging around somewhere, I think, and the new Sage Woman just arrived yesterday. A few books left from my pilgrimage to Powell's in October.
Old January 6th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #4
LiamFan!

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I got hooked on the free chapters on amazon.com

It's short, good dialog, great ending. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old January 6th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #5
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

OH, that reminds me Liam. I was sitting across from a man and a woman at the airport this morning. My eyes were on the pages of Harry Potter, but my ears picked up the conversation from the seats opposite me. They were discussing Grisham and both mentioned they'd just read Skipping Christmas and how different it was for a Grisham novel. They both loved the book, btw.

He said he had two children and she was on her way to visit her mother...okay...THIS is when I went back to reading Harry. <g>
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #6
Lou
Idealist

Night before last, I finished Michael Chabon's <u>The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay</u>, the kind of novel that is hard to follow for me. But now I've also finished a collection of short stories by Charles Baxter, called <u>Believers</u>.
Old January 7th, 2002, 12:20 AM   #7
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

Cod I have read all 4 of the Harry books. Really can't wait for #5. The movie I think sucked but others liked it.

I'm rather embarrased that my soon to be Step-mother #4 got me into Danielle Steele novels. I need to read something more interesting.

my Welsh hubby is really into Terry Pratchet and Irvine Welsh. He says they are too intense for me. Oh well at least I am reading and not being a couch potato.
Old January 7th, 2002, 07:18 AM   #8
LiamFan!

Irvine Welsh is great! But a bit hard to read because of the Scottish vernacular. Having a Scot for a m-i-l helps, though ;-)

Nice to see you {{{CamiRae}}}!
Old January 7th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #9
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Same thing with understanding Harry Potter's vernacular....now if I only had a WITCH for a M-I-L... <g>

(which I DON'T) (((M-I-L)))

Hi Cami Rae. I don't know if I'll read the others or not. I'm enjoying it, but I really only read it to see what the hoopla is about. Maybe by the time I finish it, I'll want to though, ya think?
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #10
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

{{{{{Liam}}}}} so nice to be back. Hubby let me read a page of "Glue" by Irvine Welsh and I told him to hurry up and finish the book. I'm not as dumb as you think. I know what they are talking about. LOL!!!

{{{{{Cod}}}}} I definitely suggest you read the Harry Potter books. I think they are more for adult reading anyway. I couldn't put them down.
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:51 PM   #11
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

BTW, not to be airheaded or anything but what does M-I-L stand for?
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #12
Lou
Idealist

Hi (((Cami))) mother-in-law :-) And I love Harry Potter!

I bought Don DeLillo's novel, <u>The Body Artist</u>, today. I read the first chapter, and I am in for some heavy literature.
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #13
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

{^{^{^{^{^Lou^}^}^}^}^} Who is the cutie in the pic?

Thanks for clearing up the m-i-l
Old January 8th, 2002, 10:34 AM   #14
Lou
Idealist

(((Cami)))

Introducing my grandson, Thomas, age 2 1/2, talented singer, dinosaur expert, and currently practicing for his May role as a big brother. Thanks for asking.
Old January 9th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #15
tupi

Oh my, Lou! I'm so envious! He's adorable!

I'm just getting into Smoke Jumpers. I'm also listening to Stalkers by Faye Kellerman. I like mysteries and police procedurals.

CamiRae, my dear friend, Danielle Steele may right formula novels with little redeeming social value, but they made her a millionaire a few times over. While I'm not a huge fan of hers, I've read some of her books and it didn't destroy my abilities to read deeper novels. They are the fairy tales of today, and what girl doesn't like a good fairy tale once in a while. My aunt snubs her nose at Danielle Steele, then she admitted to me that she'd never read anything by Steele. Now, how intelligent is it to assume a book is not worthy of reading without at least giving it a try?
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote