Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old January 23rd, 2002, 04:15 PM   #31
tupi

I've been listening to Nelson DeMille's The Lion's Game. This is a kinda spy/catchhimbeforehekills again thriller. It's disturbingly reminiscent of the 9/11 attack though was written a couple of years before. I love the dialogue. Some authors are just good with witty reparte, and deMille is a master of it. I just finished listening to Chosen Prey by John Sandford read by Richard Ferrone (one of the most outstanding readers of recorded books), and I loved it! The Prey series is proably my favorite police procedural book series.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:11 PM   #32
LiamFan!

Reading a book because your kid(s) are reading it is another thing altogether.

I'm not a Tolkien fan, nor a fan of fantasy in general.

And I have never, NEVER, found a nugget of gold in Danielle Steele ;-)
Old January 23rd, 2002, 09:14 PM   #33
Cinderellen

LOL Liam, agreed on Danielle Steele. I tried to read one once, couldn't get through it. The Lord of the Rings isn't so bad though, once I got past the first chapter.
Old January 24th, 2002, 08:35 AM   #34
anniejoan

Wooohoooo! Got some reading done last night and am now on page 78 of The Chamber of Secrets! I am really enjoying this Harry Potter series.

((((( tupi ))))) Are the books on tape or CD and how long are they? I've never listened to a taped book. I love the feel of cracking open a new book so listening to one would be a new experience.

(((((( Liam ))))) How is your reading going? Are you any further in the book you started?

(((((( Cinder )))))) Before I got into The Lord of the Rings, I read The Hobbit which, I think, made it easier because it provided the background for the characters and different lands. I love the hobbits...Bilbo, Frodo etc.
Old January 24th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #35
tupi

Well, listening to recorded books is a personal choice. Lots of people don't enjoy them. I have learned to look for books read by professional readers like Richard Ferrone, Barbara Rosenblatt, Kate Burton, and others. I rarely listen to books abridged books, but I rarely read them either. Books read by the author are generally boring to listen to I think due to lack of training in voice manipulation. A good reader can change voice characterizations and maintain the different characters throughout the story. I get almost all of mine through the library.

They range in length from 1 cassettes to 20 or more. The CD version of Lord of the Rings is 14 CDs long. Stalker by Faye Kellerman is 14 CDs long, and The Lion's Game was in two sets and was 28 cassettes long. I listen to them while doing housework, crafts, folding laundry, mopping floors, doing yard work, walking, exercising, driving and so on.

It's an acquired taste. I've grown to enjoy it so much that I always get two or three at a time. Some readers voices grate on my nerves and I just don't bother with that book, so I have others in reserve.
Old January 24th, 2002, 01:52 PM   #36
LiamFan!

Hi {{{anniejoan}}}

I haven't started another book, reading wise. Or are you talking about the one I'm writing? <g>

Work has been so busy, I haven't had a chance to steal a few minutes for reading...and by the time I'm home, I'm worn out. I did start a short Avi book on the train, figuring I could finish it during the ride, but a co-worker walked past me, noticed me, asked me to come sit with him...I ended up working...blech.
Old January 24th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #37
anniejoan

((((( tupi )))))) wow! I didn't realize they'd be so long but I wouldn't want to listen to an abridged version. I'll check my library to see if they have them here. I'll give them a try. I usually listen to music while doing things but it might be a nice change to listen to a story.

((((((( Liam ))))))) Both. How's the writing coming? And, what is the next book to read on your list? I hear you on the too tired when I get home from work! Some days really are draining. I finally back into reading by taking some time on the weekend to get into it and then continued through the week.
Old January 25th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #38
LiamFan!

{{{anniejoan}}} My next book is Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. I found it in the basement while I was searching for a 6-volt battery for Drew's robot. <g>

The writing is coming along...I was able to rescue my files from my laptop (which died) but I won't be able to get my MP3s :-(
Old January 25th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #39
CamiRae
Former CherubTF/WOW

{{{{{ Liam }}}}} I quit reading Danielle Steele. The only nuggets in there are bad sex and trash. Almost as bad as Jackie Collins. I'm starting to get into Alex Kava. I'm reading "A Perfect Evil" it's about a serial killer
Old January 26th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #40
tupi

I read a couple of Danielle Steel's books, and I admit they were fluff reading with few nuggets with one exception. <u>Ghost</u> was a good story with accurate historical research, and little if any sex or glamor. It was just a well written tale. I actually wondered if Steele really wrote it.

anniejoan, if you're going to try books on tape then get one that you would normally read. Don't go for something strange. The first one I listened to was a book I'd already read years before, and it was wonderful...got me hooked...I think it was <u>The Shell Seekers</u> read by C.J.Critt.
Old January 28th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #41
anniejoan

((((( Liam )))))) I haven't read any Maupin, so am jotting that down. And, sorry about your MP3s

Hi CamiRae. I'm keeping Kava in mind too.

(((((( tupi ))))) Thanks for the FYI.

I've finished reading Chamber of Secrets and am now on pg 56 of The Prisoner of Azkaban in the Harry Potter series. BUT, I discovered the Poppit game on line yesterday....and it's addictive!
Old January 28th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #42
Lou
Idealist

((((Readers))))

I am, alas, soon to finish "The God of Small Things." But I have the next book I'll read already on my night table. It is an Armistead Maupin, thanks to LiamFan! Something about the moom. <g>
Old February 1st, 2002, 07:02 PM   #43
QuietWoman

Ohhhh, Armistead is truly wonderful. Absolutely in the Dickens tradition of novels that started out as newspaper columns.

The Moon one isn't my fave though, Lou. So I'd be interested to know what you think of that.

I'm reading a slightly disturbing novel about a woman who throws herself under a train (at the beginning of the story). I'll find the title and author when I've read more, if it turns out worth recommending.
QuietWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2002, 07:45 PM   #44
Lou
Idealist

((((Quietude))))

I've shelved Maupin for the moment because I am going to NYC later this month. so, I am reading stories, poems, and essays from a big fat anthology called New York Literature. Last night, I began with Joan Didion's "Goodbye to All That," and loved it--again. I am very familiar with all of Didion's essays and consider her a model for my own writing. Anyway, I thought that Maupin and SF would confuse me right now. <g>
Old February 9th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #45
TheWonder

My longest read for the New Year so far has been Diana Gabaldon's new one, The Fiery Cross, which I loved like I have the rest of her books.

I currently just finished Good in Bed which was surprisingly good, humourus light reading but yet had a subtle point as well.

I've been off-and-on reading the book Wifework (although I really should hurry up with it, as it's now an overdue library book) and have found it truthful and interesting all at once although I find myself having difficulty actually sitting down and reading more than a few pages at a time -- don't ask me why.

Today I'm starting Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire which I've been meaning to read for a long time. Only a couple pages into it, however, so no verdict yet.
TheWonder is offline   Reply With Quote