Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #61
Terri

I have traded in Astronomy Today and How to Communicate, effective speech writing for The Summons by John Grisham and See How They Run by James Patterson. The Grisham book is typical formula and very disappointing. See How They Run is ok. This is just eye candy for me right now. On the spiritual side I just recently read Treasures in the Sand, anthropological evidence that supports the Bible Lou LOL everyone has an opinion I guess...and He Still Moves Stones by Max Lucado.
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:16 PM   #62
POOH2^
Jeep Enthusiast

I am reading Shelters Of Stone, the 5th book in the Earth Childrens Series by Jean M. Auel. I started with Clan of the Cave Bear back in 1986, and continued the saga by reading, Valley of Horses, then Mammoth Hunters, then Plains of Passage,and finally after 12 yrs of waiting, the 5th book was released and arrived by UPS. So far its pretty good, Im about half was through. I dont think I can wait another 12 yrs for book 6. Im sure I will re-read this one over and over again, like I did the others. Jean Auel's research is amazing! Someday I wish I could travel to the countries where the books take place...
Happy Reading
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:52 AM   #63
Lou
Idealist

Morning (((Readers)))

And now I am reading John Irving's "The Fourth Hand."
Old June 2nd, 2002, 11:13 PM   #64
mosquito

Jean Auel is just amazing, one of few authors I've read who can really transport the reader right into the story. With every book I've read, being interrupted was like waking suddenly from a great dream - fortunately you can always pick it up where you left off!

Max Lucado is great too. He's quite direct, very down-to-earth, has a lot of common sense, and doesn't talk down to his audience. I put him with Erwin Lutzer, Chuck Swindoll, Dr. David Jeremiah, and Alistair Begg at the top of the genre.
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 11:32 AM   #65
Lou
Idealist

I finished John McGahern's novel, "By the Lake." He is an Irish writer, and I loved this soft, kind story very much. Now, I almost halfway into Russell Bank's "Trailerpark," a collection of related short stories about the people who live in a fictional trailer park 90 miles north of Boston on Skitter Lake. Funny and sad.

Anyone else reading?
Old July 27th, 2002, 12:01 PM   #66
Addie

Reading? Always. :-)

I just finished Richard Russo's <I>Empire Falls</I>. I didn't want it to end. I loved the characters, I loved the town, I loved the story, I loved this book! <g>

And now, I'm going to start <i>Five Quarters of the Orange</I> by Joanne Harris. She wrote <I>Chocolat</I>. <I>Five Quarters</I> also takes place in postwar France. The reviews are good, I'll let you know.
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 04:30 PM   #67
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

ah....HERE are the readers....

Hi!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM   #68
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I finished Fall on Your Knees and took a break to savor it. ;-) Hope Ann-Marie MacDonald is busy writing another.

Now I'm into the second chapter of The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. The Boston Globe says that "The Red Tent is what the Bible would be like if it had been written by women...." So far, it's pretty interesting. There is a TON of begatting goin' on.
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #69
Lou
Idealist

I liked "The Red Tent."
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #70
Lou
Idealist

Geez, I'd like to read "Empire Falls" and "Fall On Your Knees," but I keep getting sidetracked. I finished Russell Banks' "Trailerpark" and loved the New England characters and sad, sometimes funny, stories.

Now, I am reading Louise Erdrich's "The Last Report on the Miracles of Little No Horse," and I can't put it down. This tale and its writing remind me of Joseph Conrad, Flannery O'Conner, and Garcia Marquez all rolled into one saga of a missionary priest serving the Ojibwe in Dakota Territory, a priest who is a woman and has successfully masqueraded as a man.

((((Readers))))
Old August 11th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #71
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I just wrote that title down, Lou. I'm almost finished with The Red Tent.
Old August 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #72
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I finished The Red Tent many days ago. I finished it so that means I liked it. I did not finish My Sister's Country, which I grabbed in haste for my inflight entertainment.

Now I am 58 pages into Midwives by Chris Bohjalian.

Anyone read it?

Apparently LOTS of people in my library area HAVE, both copies were quite dog-eared. That's a good sign, eh?
Old August 25th, 2002, 02:25 AM   #73
Lou
Idealist

(((Cod))) Did you like "The Red Tent"? That book was a selection of my book club; otherwise, I'd never have read it. And now, I still occasionally flash on images from the story.

I was in B&N today for several reasons, and I finally picked up a copy of "Fall On Your Knees." But then, I also bought "Geography for Dummies" because I saw the author, Charles Heatwole, on tv. Chapter 12 is called "$hit Happens: Migration."
Old August 25th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #74
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I DID like The Red Tent (((Lou))). Some of those images were quite unforgettable!

YAY! You own Fall on Your Knees! I hope you like it as much as I did. The characters are gripping. HURRY and read it!! ;-)

I'll have to check out Geography for Dummies. LOL
Old August 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM   #75
Terri

I'm reading Red Dragon (Thomas Harris is a sick puppy)