Yes - Unconditionally 0 0%
Yes - March 17th 0 0%
Yes - After March 30th 0 0%
No 19 100.00%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #1
compadv

Thumbs down Iraq War

There Is Power In Numbers - Amazing. Help us reach 1,750,000 by Monday.

Dear friend,

If we don't act now, we could be at war by March 17th. I'm hoping you can join me on an emergency petition from citizens around the world to the U.N. Security Council. The petition will be delivered to the 15 member states of the Security Council MONDAY, MARCH 9th.

If hundreds of thousands of us sign, it could be an enormously important and powerful message -- people from all over the world joining in a single call for a peaceful solution. But we really need everyone who agrees to sign up today. You can do so easily and quickly at:

http://www.moveon.org/emergency/

We've pushed back our delivery date to Monday -- our sources at the U.N. tell us that's when it'll make the most waves. We need to send the petition to press on Friday night, but we'd like to have as many signers as possible by that time. Please join me in signing an online petition asking President Bush to let the weapons inspections work, rather than rushing to war. Then forward this email to your email database and ask each of them to ask 10 more people to petition to win without war.

With the possibility of a peaceful resolution to this crisis at hand, we cannot allow a few men to push the world to war. Send a message to President Bush and Congress to let the inspections work at:
We can stop this tragedy from unfolding. But we need to speak together, and we need to do so now. Let's show the Security Council what world citizens think. You can add your voice at:

Then please ask your friends, family, colleagues, acquaintances -- anyone you know who shares this concern ? to sign on today. As the New York Times put it, "there may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world
public opinion." The Bush Administration's been flexing its muscles. Now let's flex ours.

Our petition was launched in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee, who have a terrific website that provides resources and information on the crisis in Iraq. Check it out at:
http://www.afsc.org/iraq/
To contact Action Focus email actionfocus@yahoo.com Thank You for your Help.

The response to our emergency petition to the U.N. Security Council has been nothing short of extraordinary. Less than two days after the petition was launched, over 550,000 people have signed as of March 6th, from over 200 countries.

We've pushed back our delivery date to Monday -- our sources at the U.N. tell us that's when it'll make the most waves. We need to send the petition to press on Friday night, but we'd like to have as many signers as possible by that time and thus, continue to mass email our FRIENDS.

Our petition was launched in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee, who have a terrific website that provides resources and information on the crisis in Iraq. Check it out at:

http://www.afsc.org/iraq/

Yesterday, our local ad went up in over 111 local
newspapers across the nation, our billboards are now up in Detroit, San Francisco and L.A., and our "Inspections Work. War Won't." message is on a quarter of all the busses in Washington D.C. The financial support of MoveOn members for these initiatives has been overwhelming -- you funded over 100 local
ads in less than a day!

Our "No link" ad that ran in 111 newspapers yesterday:
http://www.moveon.org/localads/localad.pdf

Our billboard and busses layout:
http://www.moveon.org/billboards/

How to donate to MoveOn.org:
http://www.moveon.org/support.html

One note of caution about giving to good causes: Never give your credit card number over the phone in response to any telephone solicitation. And only give online or by mail to organizations you know and trust (like us).

Thanks for making this work possible.
There Is Power In Numbers - Amazing. Help us reach 1,750,000 by Monday.
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Self

No Way!!!!!

"Feels like another Vietnam!"
Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #3
sunflower

War is a very ugly thing and so unavoidable. Can't help with signing the petition but will send email to my own Government.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:01 AM   #4
sunflower

compadv

Sry I meant to say war is avoidable

At all costs.

I signed ,email just didn't seem like enough .

But had trouble with site.
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #5
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

War

Okay I am going to let my feelings roll on this subject.

First. We as the 'American Family' have no say as to what will happen. President Bush will go to war when he says. He is stuck on war. If all the people in the 'United States' stood and protested the war that will eventually hurt America whether be finacialy or by loss of live, Bush would shrug us off. We put Bush in office, we should have a say in the war to come. But we don`t. If they was to ask us 'American`s' if we wanted the war to go on. More than enough to stop it would say YES. Not all people are war happy.

That is like France or Iraq telling Bush to Disarm all his weapons. The only weapons he has to protect his people. (sigh)

I sit every day and every night praying for Bush praying for my CHILDREN....
My kids have not had a life yet, they are only 9 years old and 3 years old. They need that chance to grow up. To have families of their own. And at the rate Bush is going, the chance of them growing up and living a happy life with their wife`s and their kids is growing slim.

Please Please Don`t get me wrong, I love my counrty and I support my country. I just can not support President Bush and this war.

Huggers
Dac
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #6
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

Terrorsim; the use of intimidation to attain one`s goals or to advance one`s cause.

Now what is Saddam doing? What is Bush doing?

I hope my point is clear

Dac
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #7
sunflower

Dac

Very well said I didn't really follow the news much, kinda got caught up in my own little world but have always hated war, just thought my voice wouldn't be heard. I will be praying for the world to as I have children also 12/9 and would like them have children.
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #8
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

I hear ya sunflower, it`s not fair to our children, they can not control the world their voices can not be heard, but they do hurt and they do have opinions.

Smile
Dac
Old March 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #9
mosquito

Should we go to war? I don't know. I am not a member of our president's cabinet, nor do I work for any intelligence-gathering department. And since I am not privy to the intelligence that our leaders have, I'll reserve my opinion.

But I will tell you this: I am a fervent patriot, and was long before Sep. 11th. (Although it's ironic that it wasn't acceptable before then.) And the attacks that day, and all the others in years past, for all intents and purposes, was our enemy's own declaration of war. For what? Our foreign policies? Because we believe in human rights? Because since the founding of the United States of America we have been dedicated to helping destitute, starving, and oppressed peoples? I understand that such individuals as al-qaeda and taliban members consider kindness, assistance, and equality of women & other religious faiths to be weaknesses. But that does not give them the right to try to stop us. I do believe that God put our country here to further His purposes.

In an earlier post I said I didn't care for the way the Republicans held this country hostage for 12 years, but I have to add here that I was at the time only considering domestic affairs such as the economy and the attack on the defense department. At that time, even with El Salvador/Nicaragua/Contra rebels, the Iranian hostage crisis, and everything that had anything to do with Israel, our foreign affairs were different than they are now, and part of the reason is because of the work the CIA, FBI, military intelligence, etc. did then that was never disclosed to the public. This time we were attacked on our own soil. Worse, it was in the civilian domain. And let's all remember that peace does not produce memorable presidencies, but crises do. Kennedy and Lincoln were not nearly as popular before they were assassinated as after.

As far as I'm concerned, I can trust Bush and his advisors, and the reason is because the man is a devoted Christian who is undoubtedly listening for the "still, small voice" of God to move his heart. So I will support his decision, and as a vet support our troops no matter what, and even though I am no fan of Republicans you won't hear me criticizing Bush in any decision he makes because he truly has our country's best interests at heart.

Remember - we do not know everything that is happening behind the scenes!
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #10
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

I understand what you are sayin, mosquito.

I am only going to say this now...

I have 2 brothers 4 uncles 8 cousins over in Irag and we don`t know where, we don`t know when or if we will see them again.

It is scarey thinking of the 'draft' coming to affect, that will mean I will lose more family members to Irag ect. And me and my family are wanting to do that. There are so many families who lost loved ones on 9/11 and are not sure if they are going to lose even more if the draft does come.

I personally do not like Bush nore do I agree with him. But like I said in a post before, I support my counrty I love my country. But I can-not support war! You may take this as you want! But I will not change my feelings about Bush!

Huggers
Dac
Old March 9th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #11
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

Question: Can America afford War?

What will a war do to us down the road?
Old March 9th, 2003, 11:52 PM   #12
LiamFan!

Re: Bush hearing that still, small voice of God telling him what to do...I find it interesting that many, many church leaders (including Bush's own bishop) are against the idea of war...and one would presume they are listening for the same still, small voice.

Hopefully, Bush is listening to the right voices.
Old March 10th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #13
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

I hear ya Lima
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #14
Self

After listening to Mr. Bush and Mr. Powell, I can see retalliating, but there has to be a diffrent way to do it. He wants to go over there and blow the heck out of all of them,(innocent or not) and then send millions of dollars worth of food, medical supplies, ect. over there, What about the children here going to bed hungry and having no medical care? I just feel that there has to be a less violent way to deal with this. Very few other countries are backing us saying the same things basicly. Cut off the monies we send them, stop buying thier oil products, it will be hard, But!!!!

Quote:
"PEACE"
Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #15
LiamFan!

I really don't think anyone has forgotten 9/11, hogwmn. I think the problem people have with this war is its non-relation to 9/11.