Lou
Idealist

for you with the courage to speak

With God On Our Side

--Bob Dylan

Oh my name it is nothin', my age it means less,
The country I come from is called the Midwest
I was taught and brought up there the laws to abide
And that land that I live in has God on its side.

Oh the history books tell it, they tell it so well,
The cavalries charged, the Indians fell
The cavalries charged, the Indians died
Oh the country was young with God on its side.

Oh the Spanish-American War had its day
And the Civil War too was soon laid away
And the names of the heroes I was made to memorize
With guns in their hands and God on their side.

Oh the First World War, boys, tt closed out its fate,
The reason for fighting I never got straight
But I learned to accept it, accept it with pride
For you don't count the dead when God's on your side.

When the Second World War came to an end
We forgave the Germans and we were friends,
Though they murdered six million, in the ovens they fried,
The Germans now too have God on their side.

I've learned to hate Russians all through my whole life,
If another war starts, it's them we must fight,
To hate them and fear them, to run and to hide
And accept it all bravely with God on my side.

But now we got weapons of the chemical dust,
If fire them we're forced to then fire them we must,
One push of the button and a shot the world wide
And you never ask questions when God's on your side.

In a many dark hour I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ was betrayed by a kiss,
But I can't think for you you'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot had God on his side.

So now as I'm leavin' I'm weary as Hell,
The confusion I'm feelin' ain't no tongue can tell,
The words fill my head and fall to the floor--
If God's on our side he'll stop the next war.
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #17
sunflower

Well I would just like to say it is hard to lose touch with our families and loved ones.

But if you believe in God ,you can trust that he does indeed control everything.

Have a nice day everyone
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #18
sunflower

Maybe I should have put my last remark in a different folder.

If I have offended anyone I,am truly sorry.
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #19
susieBsnowflake

Until now, I have not posted in this folder, because frankly I am not sure where I stand. I DO NOT want our (your) young people over there in this terrible conflict, on the other hand, I heard something on the radio the other day, that really made me think. The announcer said "If we had had the politicians of today, back in 1941, it would have taken them til 1945 to decided whether Hitler was a bad guy or not."

Now, I have to admit, I dont know enough about what is going on in Iraq, to say whether that comparison is warranted or not........but do any of us? I mean lets be honest, without all of the information, how can we possibly know?

I find the whole thought so unsettling.......I dont want anyone hurt......not young soldiers, and not innocent Iraqi's either.......

Just my 2 cents...
susieBsnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #20
topsinapod

America didn't enter WWII till after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. We had the draft in place and were helping Britian unnoficially but had not joined the war effort till then. It wasn't the Germans who finally got us into it, it was the Japanese.

Sunflower, everyones opinion is wanted and needed hun. If we all had the same opinion we would really be headed for trouble.

I don't want war with Iraq. I can't shake the feeling that Dubya is trying to finish his papa's war and is using our feelings about 9/11 to facilitate that. They haven't proved sufficiently to me that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11. We are the ones that set that regime into power. We bear a lot of responsibility.

One last thought here. As Americans, we claim God is on our side but they believe in God too. The god of Islam.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #21
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

sunflower, speaking your mind should not offend people in here.

How many evil deeds have been done in the name of someone's god? If you believe in God, do you also believe he gave everyone freewill to make their own choices? He may KNOW what the choices will be, but I don't think God controls the actions of people on earth. It's an extremely terrifying excuse for killing and maiming.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #22
LiamFan!

And invoking the name of Hitler is a well-known way of killing a discussion. So well-known and so common, it has a name -- Godwin's Law.

So next time someone mentions Hitler in any argument, just tell them to stop trying to kill the discussion.
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #23
Lou
Idealist

Thank you, topsinapod
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #24
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

...and now 9/11 is going to join that list of discussion killing excuses, right?
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #25
topsinapod

Your welcome Lou.

Usually anything we don't want to hear joins the discussion killing excuses. But what kills a discussion usually depends on who's doing the discussing and what they wish to discuss.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #26
susieBsnowflake

I was in no way trying to end this discussion - merely attempting to join it...
susieBsnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #27
LiamFan!

susie...I didn't mean to imply you were trying to end the discussion...after all, you're not the one on the radio bringing up Hitler.

I think everyone should be posting here, telling how they feel about what's about to happen in the world.
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #28
sunflower

Hi everyone

I will just say what I feel.

Cod When I asked the Lord Jesus as my savior to come into my life and take control. Thats what he did ,Praise the Lord.

And I also believe everything has already been set in motion for his return.

And if you truly have faith the first thing you learn is Love. Now that sometimes takes time to get it right but God is always working in you.

Have a good day everyone
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #29
Addie

sunflower, you said in the post from earlier today that if you truly believe in G-d you can trust that she/he truly controls everything. I can't buy that. There are many things for which G-d would not want to take credit, Hitler is only one of those nightmares.

People have free will. G-d gave us the ability to think and process for ourselves. We can't sit back and just let things happen, in fact, once again evoking WWII, that's exactly what Jews will never again allow to happen. Turn the other cheek is no longer an option as is made clear by the State of Israel and its military.

Now that I've said that...

I see absolutely no similarity between the impending war with Iraq and WWII. These comparisions are Republican spin meant to tug at American hearts and minds.

There is no justification for war with Iraq. No more today than there was three years ago or five years ago. The majority of the world is now viewing America as the terrorist or at the least, the bully.

From Australia to Great Britain to the United States, senior officials have been resigning over the actions of our governments. There is, at this time and according to those officials, no just cause for military action against Iraq. Those articles get very little coverage as compared to the testing of our biggest "traditional" bomb.

Along with the above, Arab nations in the region, those considered our "friends" have explained that our military action in Iraq will completely destabilize the region which is already on tenuous ground. Many small nations are now racing to develop nuclear weapons. Our complaints over Iran and its nuclear capabilities are beginning. Everything is snowballing and racing downhill to a not-so-pretty end result.

Now is the time for a cooling off period, for everyone. Let's let the U.N. do its job. Let's impose sanctions that our own public officials cannot, and do not violate.

It's time for us to stop interfering with other countries under the guise of caring about their treatment of their own citizens. We never cared about the Kurds being gassed, we only cared when Iraq invaded Kuwait. It was business, not people. It's time for the bullshit to stop and it's time to start caring about some issues at home.
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #30
sunflower

Hi Addie

I can only tell you what I believe is true and I,am sorry but I don't feel comfortable talking about my faith yet.

Have a nice day