Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > Reading & Writing

Old January 12th, 2001, 09:29 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

Who is your favorite author? What do you like about his or her books?
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2001, 02:40 PM   #2
tupi

I really love mysteries. I devour them and subsequently exhaust the authors. I actually prefer to listen to mysteries on tape as long as they aren't abridged. (I loathe abridged books. I think both the writer and the reader are cheated by abridgements.) Some of my favorites include:
<li> Laurie R. King who writes two character lines. One is Detective Kate Martinelli, lesbian detective who seems so real that I must know her; and the very delightful Mary Russell, fictitious wife of Sherlock Holmes who helps him solve the most delightful crimes.
<li> Linda Barnes creater of P.I. Carlotta Carlyle</li>
<li> James Lee Burke who's southern Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux has a realism that melts my heart</li.
<li>Patricia Cornwell and her Kay Scarpetta series. Her other series isn't as interesting.</li>
<li>Janet Evanovich and her very bumbling bounty hunter Stephanie Plum</li>

This list could go on and on Susan Isaacs, Sara Paratsky, Elizabeth Peters, James Patterson, John Sandford, Stuart Woods and more.

Want to share some insite?
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2001, 03:27 PM   #3
kathe nichols

tupi, I do pretty much the same thing with science fiction and fantasy. There are two series I'm currently reading (actually, waiting impatiently for the latest to come out in paperback so I can afford them!): The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.
Female authors and good female characters are becoming much more common in this genre, even when it remains "swords-and-sorcery" (though that is mostly tongue in cheek these days). They just don't seem to write the enormous multi-volume series... Others of my favorites are Marion Zimmer Bradley (she died recently and it's a great loss), Mercedes Lackey, Katherine Kurtz, Catherine Asaro (who writes sci-fi romance, if you can believe!), C.J.Cherryh, Ursula LeGuin, and of course Andre Norton.

I don't like books on tape, because I don't handle aural information all that well. I need to see things. But I read out loud to my husband and children (who love it though they can read themselves now...). It's become a routine part of our evening.
Old March 22nd, 2001, 06:27 PM   #4
tupi

I like the fantasy sci fi stuff once in a while, too. I find that if I don't start with the first book the author did though, then I don't understand the others all that well. I've tried to get into Mercedes Lackey to no avail. I will try again, though, as many friends love her stories.

I think books on tape are kinda strange and can be difficult to get into. Lots of people find them boring, then I find that they are listening to books they wouldn't ordinarily read in the first place and that are being read by the author in the second. Authors, in my opinion, are not the best readers. Good readers are entertainers, actors of a sort and the best readers bring a book alive. Most people use them when on long trips in the car, I use them when doing craft projects or housework. They are my daily relaxation.
tupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2001, 10:02 AM   #5
pgreader

I just posted in "books" so I won't repeat myself but I am looking for someone, anyone who has discovered the brand new author C P Whitaker. Awesome book and it's to be a series. So, anyone stumbled across this great find yet??
pgreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2001, 03:12 PM   #6
huee

books - my favorite way to spend some time. i devour murder mysteries, too. patricia cornwell is my fav, but i'm also fond of jonathan kellerman, faye kellerman, robert parker & john sanford. and of coures, there's a vast array of lesbian mysteries - jaye maiman, katherine forrest & sandra scoppettone are all entertaining. scoppettone has written some outstanding "young adult" fiction, which is how i started reading her work in the first place. then i discovered her detective series, which i am now thoroughly hooked on.

pgreader: you have me curious about this new book. what's the title? i read your post in books & since you managed to name 3 incredible writers in one sentence, i'm going to have to check this series out.
huee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2001, 07:09 PM   #7
pgreader

Thumbs up

It's "For Crying Out Loud" by C. P. Whitaker and well, I guess if you're going to check it out I'll not spoil anything for you. I will say that it reads like a fly on the wall experience!

I'll check back off and on....

BTW, went looking for another copy for a gift and my local bookstore said it was *way* backordered but online stores seem to have it in stock.

good luck!
pgreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:31 AM   #8
debday

Thumbs up looking madly for hogwmn(sp?)

hi there! haven't been able to connect to web, then haven't been able to connect to ws, then haven't found you in last couple months since we had fun dinner w/ other roommies in socal.
just wanted to let you know that i recently rented/saw
'fightclub' and totally understood what you were saying about it!!
would love to be in touch. i really enjoy talking with you, your thoughts/experiences are always interesting to me.
sorry to have missed the opportunity to hang out in that
bar...needing some rocknroll lately!
deborah
debday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:39 AM   #9
debday

looking for "bzirc" and "hogwomn" (sp??)

trouble with machines, trouble with web, trouble with ws, trouble with life ... what a surprise, ltns!!!
had a great time with you guys in socal, would love to stay in touch.
you are very welcome here in bay area, and i'd love to see you on the 3-4 times/year i am in mission viejo area.
hope this finds you guys doing terrifically.
- and serves as inspiration to other roommies to actually try to meet in person!!!!! what a fascinating group we are.
ok, like that is a surprise after how well we know eachother online....but really, ya' know how there is that "fear of disappointment.....ie, somehow this neat
person will actually turn out to be a - who knows what
that isn'nt fun/interesting"????
want you all to know that getting together with roommies has been yet another delightful surprise/gift of ws.
deborah
debday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #10
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

I admit it... I love to read historical romances.... one of my weaknesses! My most favorite are scottish set in ohh...the 1600-1700 periods. Judith McNaught, Johanna Lindsey, Jane Feather, and Jude Deveraux are some of my most favorite "escape" writers.

I also like to read contemporary novels about life... I am currently reading Luanne Rice - She's great in my book!!!!!!

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #11
brede
my new motorcycle

I'm not a big fan of romances, but occaisionally I will find a good historical one. I just plain like to read. A woman who used to work for me, who had 5 kids, would get up at 5am everyday and write. She had published two romances before I lost contact with her. Essentially she wrote about women social workers in the past, before it was acceptable for women to work at all. She used a pen name and I can't recall what it was.

Someday I'll unpack those last 6 book cartons and let you know! LOL!
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #12
brede
my new motorcycle

Hey PBS!

You seem to be on a mission to get more folders active. I'll help out!
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #13
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

lol!!!! yup...that's my mission!!!
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #14
brede
my new motorcycle

I was wondering if you had suddenly become hyper on us LOL! It is an honorable mission. Since I am sick again today, I am actually going to pick up a book and read. I think I will read the short story book I have by Phillip Dick.
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #15
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! the folders just look so darn pretty when they are YELLOW instead of GRAY!

I'm reading too.... my last vacation day...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa