Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Politics

Old April 11th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #1
Melynn
Queen Goddess

The World Situation

We live in a tumultuous time. This is the place to discuss everything from world events to how those events shape what's happening in your own backyard.
Melynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #2
Addie

I am absolutely heartbroken that those Americans who have voiced their opinion against the war have been labeled unpatriotic, unamerican and worse. The greatest irony is that democracy, while being given to Iraq, is being taken from American citizens.

One phone in radio show stated that Americans who protest the war should be stripped of their citizenship. Am I not understanding the meaning of democracy?

That we cheer wildly while Iraqis run rampant in the streets, but shoot our own peaceful anti war protesters in the back with rubber bullets is an incongruity that my mind just can't wrap itself around.
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I agree. The sights of those cheering throngs of Iraqis failed to make me jump for joy. I'd like to think these people will begin to live a life of democratic freedom, but if we here in America are not even free to express our individual feelings without being labeled un-American, then what can we give these people?
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #4
Tammy

The thing that kills me is the way so many things are worded and how they're just taken as "good" without much thought to who they are "good" for.

Example:

Quote:
Apr 11, 8:15 PM EDT

Contracts Awarded to Assist Iraqis

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration announced Friday an initial $2 million, 12-month contract to Creative Associates International Inc. to address immediate educational needs in Iraq and promote participation of the Iraqi people in the educational process.

The announcement by the U.S. Agency for International Development said the U.S. government's goal is to ensure that children are prepared for the new school year beginning in September 2003.

The agency also announced an initial $7.9 million award to the North Carolina-based Research Triangle Institute to promote Iraqi participation in Iraq's post-conflict reconstruction.
Maybe I am unpatriotic, but I got some questions that don't ever seem to be answered by the ole pres.

Why doesn't anyone every say where that money came from? Did it used to be the money that paid for 570,000 disadvantaged kids to go to after school programs that might just educate them and keep them off the streets.

I suppose cutting or level-funding education right here at home is a pretty good idea, when you think about it. After all, military service looks pretty damn good to kids that aren't aces in school and have no prospects other than flipping burgers at McDonalds for the rest of their lives (assuming McDonalds doesn't have to file bankruptcy in this fabulous economy we've got going here) and we've gotta have somebody to send off to play Bush's war games and keep all these news channels in business.

Y'know.. I spend all day with people that are sooooo far to the right that they make the Christian Coalition look liberal.. it's really nice to come home and opinionate freely
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #5
Tammy

And another thing. How far is education in Iraq going to go right now anyway? I've never seen such a screwed up priority list. They don't need education right now, they need food, drinkable water, clothes, medicine..

Oy.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

I think we will ignore the looting a while longer, hoping that some Iraqi will carry out some o' them weapons of mass destruction.
Old April 12th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #7
topsinapod

We are rapidly becoming a country with just two classes. The haves and the have nots. War's have always been fought on the backs of the poor.

Since the draft was dissolved, the armed services have studiously recruited from the pool of poorer people by offering educational opportunities that they could not other wise ever afford. That has always been the golden carrot so to speak. War is the price they pay for their education.

I find it interesting to note that there does not appear to be many sons and daughters of our leaders fighting this war. Those children had families that could pay for their education and therefore they did not have to fight. How ironic.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #8
Addie

And citizenship. If you are a legal resident who enlists, it puts you on the fast track to citizenship. That little goodie was pushed through last year sometime.

Iraq is in chaos. The destruction is horrendous. One of the latest casualities is the Baghdad museum with artifacts dating back thousands of years. The director had asked for a tank and a few soldiers to protect the museum, but, "we don't do that. " Actually, they're right. They don't. MPs do that. Where are they? Why weren't they deployed?

Doctors are desperately trying to keep looters from stealing or destroying the little bit of hospital equipment left.

Looters in Baghdad are beginning to turn on the homes of their neighbors. Stealing, destroying.

One man looked straight into the camera as thousands of rampaging people ran behind him, pointed his finger at the lens and screamed "You did this. YOU did this."

Yes, we did.

Are our celebratory Americans still watching the TV or did they turn it off after we "won?"
Old April 12th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #9
Lou
Idealist

I won't start in on the U.S. immigration policy regarding Mexico, nor on the two mothers who last week were handed citizenship for their Mexican sons killed in Iraq.

Instead, I will address the topic of looting because it will be interesting indeed in, say, ten years, to see where the antiquities of Iraq surface. Will they be the Elgin Marbles stolen from Greece and now a centerpiece of the British Museum? Will the mosques of Baghdad be empty, like the Palace of Versailles, a dark spot where a sculpture once stood?

I guess I am not outraged when I see video of an Iraqi man carrying off a TV. No more than I was incensed when I watched L.A.'s Black citizens load up on diapers during the riots. The outrage is theirs. I sympathize. Sure, I think about moral fiber, what such pillage does to the human imagination and will of those who participate, but it all pales before the awesome tonnage of bombs laced with depleted uranium, doesn't it?

But while I am watching suffering citizens loot their oppressors' goods, I am wondering who else is in there looting the truly valuable objects of the Arabian culture.

One more thing. In listening this morning to a broadcast, I learned that occupying forces are responsible for establishing order in territory they have taken, but because the U.S. forces are an invasion force, they legally have no responsibility. Another outrage for the notebook.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down.
Old April 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #10
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

Freedom's just another word for ....nuthin' left to loot.

Old April 12th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #11
antiana

About being a woman, in this war situation. My son, a Sgt. in the 101st and a MP, is in Iraq. From what I understand the national guard has replaced all the MP spots in the United States and the Army, AF, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard are deployed to the Middle East. They are guarding EPWs (enemy prisoners or war) and important security areas. This is their job. Yes my son went into the service to get an education but we feel no shame in that. His grandfather served, father and now himself. They have fought for freedom and our personal beliefs in freedom. This is who and what we are..

I am happy this folder is here. I believe freedom still reigns in America!

{{{{{ everyone }}}}}
Old April 12th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #12
Addie

{{{{{antiana}}}}} No matter what personal beliefs anyone might have, I know I'm not alone in sending only the best thoughts and prayers to all of the men and women in all branches of the armed forces. May your son come home safe, sound, and soon!
Old April 12th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #13
DLC55
You owe me for this!

((((Lou!)))

((((antiana)))) I grew up an army brat so dad was always gone. Growing up I just accepted him going to war and places we couldn't follow. I always, as much as I understood, supported him in his job. Our whole family did.

If my dad were alive today, and in good health, by his own words, he'd be right there along side our men and women over there. There's absolutely no shame in doing a job you are trained to do. I may not support the reasons behind this war, but above all, I do indeed support our folks who are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #14
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

(((antiana))) I'm glad this folder is here too and I sincerely hope your son returns home safely.
Old April 12th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #15
Tehanu

{{{{antiana}}}}}
Tehanu is offline   Reply With Quote