Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Politics

Old April 12th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #16
Lou
Idealist

Antiana, I too hope that your son returns home safely, that he gets all the education every American needs and deserves, and that he has decent health care for the rest of his life. My father served in WW II because he was drafted, and the man who has been my mate for 23 years now served in the Air Force during the 10+ years that America was in Vietnam. Neither of them support this war on Iraq. Both of them understand that veterans are the troops who return home. May your son become a veteran.
Old April 12th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #17
antiana

Thanks everyone.. didn't mean to disrupt the flow of input. I've read up on the history of the area and Ba'ath Party. I have no clue how anyone will be able to make democracy work there. Or that we should even try.
I pray for the innocents that have been effected by all of this. I just know that people that have little reguard for life shouldn't have WMD's. I want my grandson to grow up unafraid. And no our govt. isn't perfect but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #18
topsinapod

((((((((antiana))))))))) May your son come home to you safely. He is a hero as are all that have fought.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #19
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Good News!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/889604.asp?0cv=CA01
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #20
Addie

I heard the "breaking" news this morning and was happily amazed. I really didn't think that particular story would have a happy ending. How wonderful for them and their families!
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:14 AM   #21
Anne_VS

My husband is miltary, and while he didn't go to Iraq, he did go to Afghanistan. I feel our guys who are now in Iraq have been done a raw deal. Nutshell - "good job guys, oh by the way, you're going to be there at least a year".

I supported the Iraq thing. It was necessary. I hope Iran and N Korea don't become necessary too, but that's another issue. But, our guys went in, did the job, did it quick, so why are we still there in full force? We eliminated the problem, now it's time for the Iraqi people to take care of themselves, with a smaller force of ours doing the overseeing them. Our guys did their job, and well, and getting to be force fed with staying there is no reward whatsoever.

Anne
Anne_VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #22
Cod
Hooked on The OC!

It's just not as glorious as in those days of dragging down statues is it?

Maybe we weren't given the whole picture, ya think?

I feel for the men and women who are over there. I hope they return safely.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 05:47 AM   #23
Gypserose62

im not sure weither the war we are in is right or wrong but the cruel heart break of watching 911 happen live on tv has made me think about this what right did they have taking the lives of my fellow americans going to war with bin ladin was a must but where the hell is he and saddam was a must it was a matter of time before it happened too but its done lets bring our men and women home i cant stand to hear of one more solider lost my god i have kids mine might not be there fighting but i hug them all the more when i hear of another solider lost my heart goes out to antiana sweety i have known u a long time may god be with u and guardian angels with your son i think though and not to start a fight here that the blame i lay out is for clinton and bush senior they left us this mess they could have taken care of long ago i wont be voting this year for prez because i cant decide who to believe anymore i know that i cant blame bush he did what he could maybe and i say that lightly he should have waited longer before war on saddam but then i felt so much hatered when 911 happened for terrorist i have lost sight of who is right and who isnt lets just bring our kids home ok i have rambled on enough and mean not to offend anyone i just am heart broken for all who lost on 911 and who have lost friends and family in this war.((((antiana)))) love ya as always hun god bless ya all
Gypserose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM   #24
brede
my new motorcycle

I have very strong opinions on this issue. My son called me from advanced Navy training and told me to turn on the TV on 9/11. He was over there for almost a year on classified missions. I worried constantly about him. Now he is in the US and should be out of the service soon. Most of the young guys he knows in the military think the situation is out of control and completely insane.

So, Pirate will be a veteran, as was almost every male in my family from the American Revolution to now. And, I'm certain that their elders were in wars before they came to America.

Me, I want to hang the US flag upside down. That is the universal signal of a nation in distress. And we are in distress, not just terrorism and Iraq, but from our economy, our corporate welfare, our health care and many other issues as well.

I don't know antiana, but if she has suffered a loss, please know that I care. I care about all the people that are involved in the war zones, whether they want to be there or not.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:41 PM   #25
MintyFemme2

To me war is just a waste of human lives. When all is done and said the same issue remains. I am hearing lots of stuff about what might have been prevented with 9/11. But it doesn't change what happened. As I nieve civilian I want to tell the World Leaders to put their differences asside so they can talk about how to prevent needless death. But that won't happen in my life time. There is so much of the Goverment bussiness that we don't know but yet we vote for and pay their wages.
GypsyRose I understand your disappointment with the Goverment but not voting may not change how things work. The best advice I can give you is to vote for the person you think is lieing the least and who says he will work on the issues that are important to you. If all else fails try to run for your city council so you get an idea of how the goverment runs
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM   #26
brede
my new motorcycle

We are, after all, "A Government of The People, By The People and For The People" which makes every vote count. I also believe the power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yes, I am cynical, but there are many things that I still do that fall into the realm of political activism.

Did any of you know about the recommendations Al Gore made as Vice President in 1995? He recommended, because of the risk of hijacking and the potential use of a plane as a weapon, that there be bullet proof, inside locking, doors to the cockpit and that federal marshalls should be armed and undercover on every passenger flight. If those recommendations had actually been followed through, 9/11 would never have happened 6 years later. Why weren't they followed? The airlines have lots of lobbyists and airlines also pay big bucks out during campaigns. We are now a "Goverenment, of the Corporation, by the Corporation, for the Corporation." Why are we The People providing money to bailout airlines, other businesses and for farmers not to grow food? Take a look at the back of your instructions for filling out your income tax form. There is a pie chart that shows how much taxes are paid by different groups. Business pays around 10%. And I know that the state of FL gives corporations tax breaks and money to set up business here.

We, The People need to take back what is ours!
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #27
mosquito

All I can say, brede, is that in 1995 America was secure in the thought that no one would be crazy enough to attack us directly. We were too complacent, took our security for granted. I did too, but I wanted to help keep our country secure, and that is why I joined the service after high school.

But in the 80s it was not cool to be a patriot, or a soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine. Graham-Rudman (balanced-budget act) and RIF (reduction in forces) showed us servicemembers exactly where we stood: at the bottom of the food chain. Everyone hollered about the defense budget, it was too big, what's with all this weapons research, what in the world did we need a standing Army of 500,000 for?? Well I guess they found out!! The school nerd does not attack the whole football team alone, no matter how much he hates them! But catch one of them alone in the locker room when the coach has taken his protective gear away, and that nerd can do some damage, especially with a baseball bat. Now consider the coach gave him the baseball bat to begin with, ostensibly to practice and get on the team. Suddenly the other 10 football players are mighty important..... but they are nowhere to be found. THAT is what Graham-Rudman and RIF did to our country. We knew!! but no one back then listened to the military. *sigh*
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #28
brede
my new motorcycle

I was an Officer's wife during that period. It was shameful and stupid with the RIF and the Graham-Rudman Act. I understand how you feel. My son was in the Iraqi war zone. He was on a boarding team that boarded ships in an effort to stop gun runners and drug trafficers. There was no money for him to have a Kevlar vest. I was scared for him for the year he was over there. If something had happened to him, I was ready to sue for loss of consortium on the basis of a wrongful death that could have been prevented with the proper equipment. Politics, ugh!
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #29
Sabra

I lost my husband in the vietnam war. I support this war, only on the premise I support the men and women fighting this war. I do not want those fighting to be treated like we as a nation treated the vietnam war vets.

I am angry, we have a president who does not hear or listen.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #30
rjsfeminist

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabra
I am angry, we have a president who does not hear or listen.
I fully agree.

I don't necessarily agree with the current war, but I do support the troops. My daughter had joined the Air Force 10 years ago and ended up washing out of basic training (stress fractures), so it would've been possible for her to be "over there". I know for a fact I would've worried immensely for her safety.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but does anyone else find it a little ironic that Bush's daughters/etc are not in the service?
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote