Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Forum Information > WOW Chatrooms

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #16
TammyWOW
WOW Forum Coordinator

Sony Classic.

It was a run of the mill upgrade in the sense that it was one of those overall software upgrades, not just messenger, but it wasn't run of the mill in the sense that it was compulsory and said if I chose not to accept the upgrade, I would be unable to use my WebTV until I did accept the upgrade. I love freedom of choice.

According to WebTV, they disabled the option of retrograding software back in February of 2002, but that's almost irrelevant because the first box gives me a black screen when I go to the technical info page.. the second box will show me the technical info page, but doesn't have a retrograde option and can't dial anyway.

Now as for why you can connect if MSN is filtering content..

Given that 99.9% of our webbies can't connect, I'd say you're a fluke There's one possible explanation I can think of, though.. because you've been on WebTV for a long time.

Way back when WebTV first came out (like 1997-ish, which was when we got our first one) they didn't have the scads of access numbers they have now, and if there wasn't an access number in your area, you could connect through select ISPs. I'm not sure exactly when they switched over to being able to use any ISP (I think it was 1999-ish) but back then, you could only use certain ones that supported the WebTV protocols. Also, you had to establish accounts with those ISPs and they all had partnerships with WebTV so that they charged $10 a month and WebTV charged $9.95, so your total was still $19.95 a month.

If you set up with Airstream around that time, or if they were one of those original ISPs partnered with WebTV, maybe they're still allowing those older protocols. Maybe you could try dialing up to a regular MSN access number and see if it lets you in? It would cost you an extra $10 this month, but might clear up at least part of the mystery
TammyWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #17
RazberrieTart

hmm... ok...
well i have been using the same monopoly run isp co. for uhm... 2 1/2 years now..... and the little hamster still hasn't died 'chuckle' Price County TelCom is the only isp in the area. i had checked with web prior to moving back here and their msn connection was based in a town that would be a long distance call for me so it'd be the extra $10 a month as well as long distance charges, unfortunately. 'blargh'
(Yes... i'm a fluke.... you're point is ?? )
ok well the website i have does still have retrograde links available, i did mine earlier this year if i remember right..... i'll go find the link in a bit, it's a wonderful website, i can't remember the person that has it but you should be able to at least check it out on pc. it will also tell you what current 'grade you are using, even with the sony classic. you should still be able to use your web after downgrading, and no, more often than not they tell you you will not be able to acces online without the upgrade only cause it makes them look good. 'rolls her eyes' they forget sometimes we are smarter than them rofl we actually use webbies 'chuckle'
so. let me check for the retro site and i'll get back to you.
Tartie
RazberrieTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #18
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

You have a hamster running your webtv? lol
Old September 24th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #19
TammyWOW
WOW Forum Coordinator

Interesting little follow up considering our loss of webbies..

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne...hat/index.html

Quote:

MSN to close chat rooms

LONDON, England (CNN) --Microsoft says it will drop chat room services in 28 countries next month, in a move it says will ward off pedophiles and junk e-mailers.

But tech analysts said the changes would help the software giant get rid of users who don't pay and are not contributing to the company's bottom line.

"They're trying to move people to their paid subscription sites," said Ian Brown, director of the Foundation for Information Policy Research, a technology think tank. "They are shutting down services for which people are not paying and getting a good bit of P.R. out of it."

In a statement, the Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft said it made the decision following the growing abuse of the Internet, particularly in unsupervised, anonymous chat rooms.

The company pointed to a rise in the use of junk mail known as spam and "unsolicited and inappropriate material, particularly with regards to children." (Full statement)

MSN spokesman Matt Whittingham told CNN: "Recently we have become increasingly concerned about the level of inappropriate communication, including spam, the grooming of children by pedophiles, and sexually explicit language and imagery in chat rooms.

"We have looked at the matter very carefully and we are closing down chat in Europe to protect our customers against those inappropriate communications."

There is some concern, however, that Microsoft is not the correct authority to take the policing of the Internet upon itself and this latest move will serve simply to divide the Internet community between the haves and the have nots.

Will Doherty, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, told CNN the decision would contribute to the "digital divide" and create online "gated communities" where only people who can afford to pay can chat on the Internet.

Microsoft's online service, MSN, will cut back its chat rooms in most of Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America, from October 14, where millions of Internet users will need to find other online forums.

However, it will continue to offer unsupervised chat room access to users who subscribe to at least one other paid MSN service in the United States, Canada, Japan and Brazil, the company said.

In those countries MSN says it will have customers' billing details and identities on record and can track down suspicious users if need be.

Popular but often abused

Online chat rooms are one of the most popular tools on the Internet and one of the most frequently abused.

There have been a series of cases where pedophiles have used chat rooms to "groom" youngsters for sexual abuse.

But Microsoft's decision to close unsupervised chat rooms has triggered a heated debate among free speech advocates, children's rights groups and Microsoft rivals. (Fierce debate)

Children's rights groups have been quick to comment, with John Carr, of the childrens' charity NCH, telling CNN the decision was "good, but sad."

"I think what we are seeing here is Microsoft saying it is turning its back on the old anarchic Internet with all the attendant worries and dangers with pedophile abuse and spam."

Microsoft says it will still be possible to communicate in the 28 affected countries through its Hotmail and messenger services.

The company has about 8.6 million subscribers for its Internet service.

TammyWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #20
antiana

Thanks TammyWOW, lol just came in to post same thing.. sigh.

I miss my webbie friends, and if they do subscribe to MSN in any manner and get priviledges to chat is that only on the msn site?
=======================
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...2/daily42.html

MSN to close its Asia chat rooms
Microsoft Corp. says its Internet service provider MSN will drop unmoderated chat rooms in 28 countries including most of Asia.

The shutdown, effective Oct. 14, stems from growing international worries about predatory sexual activity in chat rooms, the increasing cost to MSN of providing bandwidth for traffic that increasingly consists of spam, and the migration of many websurfers to moderated Web boards and instant messaging services.

MSN is keeping chat in America and Japan but will shift to a subscription model in the United States.

Its Australia division, which has 300,000 regular chat users, says it will keep some celebrity chat rooms but will ax the rest, including the moderated ones.

In Britain, another country where the MSN chat rooms will go, a debate has erupted among pro-child charities and support groups, some saying this will thwart pedophiles while others fearing it will drive social activity among youths to other locales that could be even less safe than cyberspace.
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #21
julesingresham

(((Rooomies)))hello,I just wanted to let the fellow webtv users know I finally got to chat yesterday and tell them how I got into the room. I went to our home page,clicked on chats,clicked on goto and in the server area I put irc.icq.com and for port I put 7000 and then the room name. I checked this morning before work and was able to go to the room also. I hope the rest of you will be able to soon also. jules
julesingresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #22
RazberrieTart

((((((( Jules ))))))))) I;m not the only one !!!!!!!!! hooray I am so so so glad someone else can get in now !!!!!!!!
maybe the rest will soon follow ??
Hugs,
Tartie
ps yea i know i forgot the retro site, lemme go get it and i'll posst it this time
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #23
RazberrieTart

Got It !!!
Webbies, try this, it might help retrograding.
I did it once a while back and it worked for me. it may not work foreveryone so if it doesn't you can always reupgrade.
good luck !!!!
~~~~~~~
http://transload.starblvd.net/~tyhart/retrograde.html
~~~~~~~
Tartie
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:45 AM   #24
jaylauri

well i don't know what i just did with the retrograde thingy but it took me 15 minutes to do it and then my web made me take an update and i tried the irc.icq.com port 7000 and room name and i went str8 to room, checked info and it said i was in icq but room was empty but i was there...omg..i was there..lol!!
thanx ((( razzy))) LAURI
jaylauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #25
RazberrieTart

'screams' OMG IT'S WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am SO SO HAPPY for you lauri !!!!!!!!!!!
ok now someone else give it a try.....
Hugs,
Tartie
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #26
jaylauri

i wish someone would hurry up n go to room so i can chat...sheesh..what's a girl gotta do to get some company...
jaylauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #27
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

harmmmmmmmmplrrrrrrrrrffff...

Old September 27th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #28
DLC55
You owe me for this!

When I was reading MSN's news brief it said that MSN users would need to be paying for at least one service in order to use chat. Well, since webtv folks pay for at least ONE service, I'm under the impression that MSN is lifting their bans in order for webtv folks to be able to chat.

We're seeing several roomies able to come in and chat now.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #29
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

LOL, DLC. So does this mean we now have it "on good authority" that we are not moving?

*wicked evil grin*

Geez, I'm mean, eh?? LMFAO.
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:10 AM   #30
DLC55
You owe me for this!

LOL WA. Yes, you have it on good authority that we're here to stay!
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote