Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Life's Transitions

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #1
MentorMom

Has the Compass of YOUR Life Ever Been STUCK ON STUPID?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to WOW as a forum visitor, but have had WOW as a link on my website for quite some time! I wondered if anyone had any great stories to share about a time when they did something really stupid, but have since learned a lesson, gotten some 'smarts' and wised up, moving the compass of your life from STUCK ON STUPID to spinning forward!

I am a mom of seven, wife and new author of the book, "When the Compass of My Life Got Stuck on Stupid" and would love to hear your stories, and encourage you to hear mine! If anyone would like a FREE COPY of my book, please feel free to write me and let me know -- it's a limited offer and first come, first served. All books will be signed!

Yours in Sisterly Affection,

Mentor Mom
Co-Ceo and Founder
Doors To Dignity
[url=http://www.doorstodignity.com[/URL]
MentorMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2
Angel_Wolf

Ok.............. LOL

Well, some days it seems not to be but then again others........OH man! I can tell you I wished I hadn't woken up for that day! Then again if I don't wake up for that day...its' still there and I miss harassing um err having fun with others! LOL That I believe is the best thing anyone can do really. Do the best we can until its' easier then harass others in the meantime. I mean harassing like kidding around and making them laugh. If you can laugh thru it, then its' not worth getting all worked up. Yes it does bite hard, but I can bite harder! LOL Wink Wink Most of the women I know are a lot stronger than they even realize. At times they have helped me and vice versa. So when our loved ones move on or pass away there is another who inadvertently fills the gap.
So like have a great day knowing someone out here in Cyberland thinks you are awesome!
Have a great fantastic day!
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Sabra

I think my life has been permanently stuck on stupid
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #4
MentorMom

I hear ya, Sabrina!

HEY I know how it can be! I think I wrote the book...been there, done that, bought the tee shirt and got the mug! But tell us more about what you think makes you stuck and what kinds of things you believe will get the needle of your compass spinning again!

Yours in Sisterly Affection,

Mentor MOM
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #5
LiamFan!

Pssst....her name is Sabra, not Sabrina...
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Angel_Wolf

Well for me it would be laughing at myself and/or taking a step back. In the meantime, driving my classmates crazy especially Michele. LOL Have a great day!
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Rusty12183

I'm new and just looking to talk when I get home from work or before I leave. I think I'm doing pretty good in the smart's area until I get a round my 14 year old. She keeps me on my toes and has a sense of humor when I comes to her old mom. I have to remind her of all the different responsiblities and things I have to remember compared to her in her simple 14 yr old life and she just say's "Okaaay Mom, What ever" I just laugh, I figure she'll get hers someday and I'll be the one saying "Okaay, what ever" She and her sister are the loves of my life and are the best kids even though they are teenagers. They play girls Fastpitch softball and have for years and years. They play up to 9 months out of the year. Any other "I'm the Mom, I have no life" mom's that fully support their kids softball life.
Rusty12183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #8
Cinderellen

Rusty, that sounds a lot like me, except mine are boys. One is 14 the other 10. They're both playing fall baseball and the older one is in football too. In the spring they'll play regular baseball. Just yesterday I put 120 miles on my car running one or the other of them to different functions. But it's really rewarding watching them grow up into fine young men.

I do however get frustrated with the same things you are talking about. The attitude that I sit around all day and do nothing while they slave away at school. My older one is fond of whining about how he has no free time. He does actually, but he fritters it away on the computer IMing people or on playstation. I've never really curtailed that, because he does have so much between homework and extracurricular activities. It just seems like my boys, and probably most teenagers, can't see the proverbial forest for the trees.

Anyway, I share your pain.
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #9
chana

When dealing with teenagers I keep reminding myself of what Mark Twain said: (I'm paraphrasing here, don't remember the exact quote and don't feel like looking it up)

"When I was 14, I thought my father the biggest fool in the world....when I reached 21, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in 7 years."

There's hope for us yet...

chana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #10
Cinderellen

(((((Chana)))))
LOL I like the one... Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a wall.
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #11
MentorMom

Liam....

Thanks for the correction. Sabra, forgive me for the typo...I guess I ought to remember to wear my glasses when I'm reading the posts!

Hugs to all
MENTOR MOM
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #12
Rusty12183

Cinderellen,

So glad to hear from someone in the same boat. My girls are 12 & 14 so it sounds like we are going thru the same kind of stuff but I have alot more curling irons and blow driers than you.

Both my girls play Rec ball, one plays All Stars and they both play winter (fall) ball. One is in Advanced band.

My 14 yr old isn't playing winter ball now because they scheduled all the games on Sundays for that age bracket and most of the girls that wanted to play had church committments etc. She played on a womens team for a while but that ended. She's a freshman this year and will soon be trying out for the school softball team. I don't think she'll have a problem getting on the team.

My 12 yr old has double headers today. So we will be busy, busy. Her winter ball team had their tournament, then 8 weeks of double headers (only 2 more to go), then the first week of Nov the final tournament. The schedule drives me crazy and I love every minute of it.

I put 2,500 miles a month on my car with work, kid stuff etc. Ouch!!! The gas & maintence. It is so worth it though. I feel like both my girls are turning out to be the most fabulous people or they will be as soon as they stop being teenagers.

I work 50 to 60 hours a week so when mine start whining about how they are too tired or don't have time to clean their room or do chores etc. they are treading on very thin ice with me. Like you said, they always find time to be on the computer etc. My computer is a lap top so it just disappears for a while, along with phone, or me driving them around, and then things get done. I love the "I don't have time" excuse. I solve that one by going in and picking up their room while timing myself. It takes about 15 minutes (if I get that far), thus the time excuse goes away and theres nothing worse than having mom cleaning your room and moving your stuff, so they usually take over the chore about 1 minute into it. They are usually not to happy with me, but they get their room/chore done and they get over it. Most of the mess is clothes/stuff on the floor. I don't get it. The laundry basket/trash can/shelves etc. is always within 5 ft, but things cant be put away!!!!

No matter what I say, they are fantastic. They do great in school, never get into trouble and really do support their old mom. I'm divorced so things get hard sometimes and they are my rock.
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Angel_Wolf

WOW!

WOW! ((((Rusty)))) Its' so good to hear! I was divorced for awhile yet now I am remarried (quite happily). Although now my children do push the limits more. I have a 16 year old son, a 14 year old daughter and a 11 year old son. Each of them are good children yet each makes "stupid" choices. Being "stupid" means they left their brain in bed. LOL Yet in our house everyone of us does get "stupid" at times. I hope you will come into the chat rooms. They are great and there are some AWESOME Ladies aka Roomies for you to meet. We all at one time or another have been in your place or we are just getting there. SO we all help each other de-stress relax and laugh. Its' all good! So please have a great day! Good luck to your girls!
Have a great day!
Old October 18th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #14
Cinderellen

Wow Rusy!! You have a lot on your plate! I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't have the work hours to figure in, I don't know how i'd handle it if I did.

I thought the laundry on the floor was a boy thing, lol, I guess I'm glad to know it isn't. Both of my sons have an open laundry basket in their room, and when I go in, the laundry will be on the floor in front of the basket instead of in it. I just don't understand how someone that can be coordinated enough to play baseball and football can miss a laundry basket from 3 feet away. I do get tired of the I never have any time routine . But I guess at that age they take a lot for granted about life and how things get done.

Angel_Wolf's right, you might think about checking out the chatrooms sometime, if you ever get any free time.

Take care, and good luck.
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #15
Rusty12183

I do check out the chats but haven't found anyone in them when I try. I'm going to keep trying though.