Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > The WOW Community Cafe > Parenting

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #1
DrHilieWho

Early Menstruation

One of my friend's daughters just began her cycle at age 8. She's a little worried about the effects on her daughter, and I was wondering what advice - if any - the amazing, intelligent, beautiful, self-assured women of WOW had to offer.
DrHilieWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #2
shana123

Buy lots and lots of Tampax?
shana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #3
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Actually she's around the normal age now for girls to start their periods.

There's a few sites I found online that would be good for her to see and read. One is by Kotex.com and the other is by 4 Girls Health which I found through the AWMA website.

<A HREF="http://www.4girls.gov/becoming/period.htm?src=ng">Becoming a Woman</A> (I don't like that title for an 8 year old!lol)

<A HREF="http://www.kotex.com/info/education/girlthing/qa.asp">firstperiodQ&A</A>

Mom should look it over first and probably print out what she thinks is appropriate.

Mom can also take the conversation to an interesting level by having a little fun.<g> The Museum of Menstruation and Womens Health has a lot of interesting history about the topic.

<A HREF="http://www.mum.org/">Museum of Menstruation</A>
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #4
susieB28

I don't think 8 is the normal age now for getting your period! That is definitely young! Hilie - I have been through some tests with my own daughter (who turns 8 on the 23rd of this month), because her doctor was concerned about her breasts. He thought she might look like she was starting to develop early which is really not a good thing. It turns out after some testing that they were just fatty tissue, very normal, and not a sign of early puberty. Our doctor told me there are concerns with a child going through puberty so young..... Our main concern is that the sooner you start puberty, the sooner you stop growing. Maybe not a problem for some, but my daughter is very slim, and short, I certainly wanted to be sure she grew to her full potential.

I think at the very least your friend should take her daughter to the doctor for some information (maybe she already has) it sure couldn't hurt.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #5
susieB28

p.s. While we were awaiting test results my doctor did tell me they had medication that can hold of early-puberty, if you catch it in time.....not sure if that will apply once she has already started menstruating though........
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #6
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Menstruation is a normal course our bodies take when it's ready. There use to be a time when girls didn't start their periods until around their 14-15th year. Now days, the norm is 9-14. 8 isn't off that much and may even be the norm by now.

Why would anyone want to stop a natural, normal bodily function just because WE don't think it's the right age? That's just not right.

Neither my son, nor my daughter stop growing after they reached puberty. In fact, my son still manages to grow taller each year and he's 19.

I'd be concerned over any doctor wanting to give a child medication to stop them from starting puberty.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #7
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Oh yeah susie, you don't have to think it. That age bracket was stated by the AMA.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #8
LiamFan!

Yes, puberty is starting earlier, and supposedly it's because of lack of exercise. I wonder, too, if growth hormones used in cattle that appears in milk may be part of the problem. I know that, here in Wisconsin, there was a huge backlash against BGH in milk. People wouldn't buy it, and most of the dairy farms no longer use it, or never did.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #9
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Actually I think I remember reading an article on that very thing Liam. I'll have to see if I can't find it again. The hormone part...
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #10
susieB28

My daughter is VERY small DLC - nearly off the charts, and the concern we (and our doctor) felt is VERY real.

While I am sure you are quoting valid information from the AMA, Dlc, I can tell that not one of my group of friends, whom all have kids this age, give or take, has had a child start menstruation this early.

And, YES, I certainly would give my child medication that would help her to grow to her full potential. After we went through these tests, our doctor charted out her growth for us, and predicted her height (when she is finished growing) to be at least 5 feet tall. Nothing wrong with that - however, my point is that if we had had to give her medication to keep her from stopping growing at say 4 and a half feet, then yes we would have.

Oh, and btw, my daughter was 6 yrs old when we were going through all of this - I am sure most of us would agree 6 is too young to start puberty.
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #11
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I never said your concerns weren't real. What I said was 8 wasn't too early an age to start having a menstrual cycle. It can be and most times is, a normal process of life for most individuals.

We have no control over when our bodies or our childrens bodies are ready for that time in their lives. Playing around with the natural order of things can cause trouble.

I grew up with a family of girls who each started early, between 7 and 10. That was years ago. Each one of those girls led and still leads normal healthy lives complete with children. I shudder to think what can happen when doctors go around altering our childrens body chemistry.
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #12
susieB28

"Although the average age for the beginning of menstruation is between 11 and 13, a few girls develop breasts before they are eight or have their first period by nine. This condition is called precocious puberty.

About 90 percent of girls who menstruate early have "true" precocious puberty, that is, their reproductive system functions exactly like that of an adult. These youngsters secrete the hormones necessary for menstruation. They ovulate, are fertile, and have secondary sex characteristics. Most become short women because their higher-than-normal estrogen level stops their growth at an early age. The underlying cause is an abnormality in the brain."

Just a tid bit I got from Women's Resources Health Centre.
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #13
DLC55
You owe me for this!

I'll stick with the American Medical Association report.

And besides, what's wrong with being short?
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #14
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Also, precocious puberty is usually in girls younger than 7 and boys younger than 9. The child in question is 8. Which is what my original post was refering to.
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #15
susieB28

There is nothing wrong with being short Dlc..... I am talking extremes here.

Everyone takes what they choose from the experiences they have lived, the things they have heard or read, that is clear. You and I have differing opinions, based on differing information, and that is ok.

Hilie was asking for advice and I gave some - I hope it helps.