Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Romantic Relationships

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #16
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

ROFLMAO!!!!((((brede))))
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #17
Tammy

I think you have to ask the other half of <I>what</I>. When I think of "my other half" I'm thinking of the other half of the relationship, not anything that makes me incomplete. I'm complete as a person, alone, but unless I develop a few more personalities to choose from, it's awfully hard to have a meaningful, romantic, lifetime relationship with myself <g>
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #18
alina

Quote:
Originally posted by brede
With men, blackmail always works!
What can I say?! Could not agree with you more on that one!
alina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #19
brede
my new motorcycle

I agree, Tammy. I think of "the other half" as being half of a partnership.

I believe that no one should get married until they understand that they are an independent, complete person all by themselves. That would allow an inter-dependent relationship instead of a dependent or co-dependent relationship. I didn't understand that when I married Pirate's father. When Gregrr and I married, I told him that he will always know that I love him because I don't "need" him. I stay in our relationship with a free will choice. And that I also knew that he stays by choice as well.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #20
Mrs.Rem05

Angry " the old lady"

I have never used that term but, I don't find it to be as offensive as "the old man" or " the old Lady"! Have any of you ever heard anyone refer to their spouse using one of thos phrases? I find that to be very disrespectful. Does anyone feel the same way? Michelle
Mrs.Rem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #21
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Talking Well LOL

((((MrsREM05))))

In my case no it doesnt affect me at all. I am older than my husband by 5 years hence I am older. Most of the time when he does refer to me its in a joking or good way. Hence I do so in return. Yet that is for each couple to decide. I am very laid back. I have had people I know for a long time come up and say "Hi Bytch!" Then turn around and give me a hug. Its on how you take it. Mind you when I grew up certain words or terminologies affected me greatly and still do. Yet most others dont have any at all on me. Its how you feel about yourself. I feel great most of the time. Yet at certain times I am not able to deal with it or accept it. Thus I let others know at that time. A word can't hurt you no matter in what way its said or meant unless you give it the power to do so. So I have the power over what I allow or dont allow to affect me. That is what makes the difference to me. Most times more often than not, I call insensitive or rude people impertinent. Since what they are doing is childish. LOL Love that word. So just remember if you have good communications with your SO then no worries. Communication is a key factor in most relationships and majority of them cant survive without it. Just like love honestly and trust. Mind you that is all my opinion.
So when you think of a word that can be offensive or demeaning remember you can always put a twist on it! Its' your choice. So I hope this helps you.

Have a great day!
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM   #22
Kristin

Half n' half

I agree - no one should get married untill they are complete within themselves! As a couple, married or not, I see it as a "unit" where we complete eachother, work together to raise home and/or hell

What I love about my husband - which IS the better half in this marrital unit most of the time - is that he says to me; "GEEZ, Kristin, you're MORE one of the guys than I am!" When I play soccer, bowling, barhopping (rarely) or go fishing with his childhoodfriends!

And his friends say to him in return;"If it was legal to clone people, could we borrow your wife?".

And that is said without anything inappropriate ever having happened!
Makes me feel good about myself when jealousy is replaced with my husband being impressed with me. Maybe some would think I was wrong in being "one of the guys", but it works for us. My husband has even been known to say when men are apprehensive about telling edgy jokes, that:"Go on tell it - it's just us men (or guys)here". They nod in my direction, and he goes on saying:"She can take it - infact she can "outjoke" you anyday,worse than you can imagine!"
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #23
mouellett

Have you ever read Shell Silverstein's book the 'missing piece and the big o' - i believe that's the title... Anyway I frequently thought about that same question, my other half, completing me, etc. After I read that book it sort of clicked for me - we have to be complete on our own before our "other half" or our "missing piece" can compliment us completley.
mouellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Napolitana <3

Going back to what Savannah said

going all the way back to the beging of this convo. the turm "other half" now scares me...i useto love it and could not wait to use it...and now that im engaged...when i use it, it does not feel right and i can scared! i ask myslef WHY it does not feel right to say it? is it because of my fiance? do i not love him enough for him to be my other half? or is it me? idk but my outlook on those 2 words have changed
Napolitana <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #25
ashrafsadik

i love romance .i dont evisage my life without that intimate feelings called romance .
romace is the woodfire of our life .it is the unseen movement that stirs us and make life continue.i feel as if i am in an agoney when i see someone ruthless without passionate heart neglecting romanticism
ashrafsadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #26
kraftykid

I missed this when it was an active conversation but have to add my two cents.

I was an adult the first time I certain someone refer to his wife as his old lady. I thought he was being disrespectful towards his mother. I do know that even as an adult if I called my husband or father my old man it would have been considered ill mannered and not respectful.

Maybe it depends on the party of the country you live in.
kraftykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #27
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

LOL!!!! I think it may depend on where you live...but..in my house... uh-uh..no way is that ok!!
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #28
markkrebs

It's Plato

In one of his talks, Plato writes of erotic love.
A notional legend is told of early mankind being spherical beings with two heads, 4 arms, etc. The gods, angered for whatever reason they were angry that day, split us all in half, so we'd be doomed to search forever for our other half, the person that makes us one whole being again.

Here's a short interview on a philosophy website reviewing it.

[(oops, it won't let me post URLs. Look for "philosophy bites" and "Angie Hobbs"
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #29
Wolf_angel
A survivor of chaos

Well I agree with most of you. In order to have a good relationship you must be whole. Thus you have more to offer and can stand on your own feet when needed. Yet its also true the other support, and help you whenever needed. Now the thing is that markkrebs says about being split and looking for our other half. What does that mean when you are a twin? Just curious. Yet knowing what I do now and etc I am a whole person who just happens to be surrounded by some gifted people on here. Whereas at the home front I have a select rare few treasures.
Have a great day!