Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Feminism

Old September 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1
babyblue

Feminine

Hi, I am seeking some opinions on being Feminine.
Any opinions please on what a feminine woman should look like in the way she dresses and that includes make up etc.
Does a feminine woman always wear make up and is she always dressed in frilly clothes, would a feminine woman have short hair etc?. Any ideas, thoughts, opinions.
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #2
brede
my new motorcycle

Sorry, no help here. I haven't a clue. I've never worn makeuup or dressed in anything tht could be classified as frilly feminine. I am just a jeans, T-shirt person and have been for more years than I can count.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
babyblue

Hi, thanks for your reply Brede. Sorry I am so long in returning. I was just curious really to see what people's ideas were on feminine. I guess even in jeans and t-shirt it doesn't stop a women being feminine.
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #4
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

Interesting question.

Our patriarchal society I think has a lot to do with it. Consider the following words, first as they relate to men, then as they related to women:

Powerful
Aggressive
Forceful
Ambitious
Assertive
Competitive
Expert
Authoritative

It's interesting that when we think of competitive, ambitious, or aggressive in terms of women, there are negative connotations. Maybe we think of Joan Collins in her role as Alexis Carrington.

Or maybe we think of the eager, backstabbing go-getter who would rather have a career than children.

We think perhaps of someone who is deceitful, dishonest, traitorous -- someone who will go over others' heads to get ahead.

But why do we think this way? Why negative blocks and associations? Traditionally women have been expected to place others' needs before their own and similarly, women have been expected to defer to men.

Stands to reason that for some, using the words above in reference to women may be uncomfortable because of dominant cultural expressions of women as powerless, meek, submissive.

As we well know, a woman <i>can</i> be ambitious, powerful, competitive, aggressive <i>without</i> necessarily being deceitful, shrewd, unfriendly, cold, heartless, unapproachable, closed off, conniving.

I'm also not saying that there aren't associations as far as men are concerned. Sometimes aggression, power, and forcefulness are measures of success. Other times, they are associated with barbarism or a "bestial" character. Hitler was both -- a brilliant orator who was able to sway people and also one of the most villainous people in modern history. An extreme example, granted, but it does make the point.

I know this probably doesn't direcly answer your question, but nevertheless, I hope it gives you and others here something to think about.

It's time for women to reclaim their rights to power and to avoid doing so at others' expense. More importantly, we need to develop a new vocabulary and to rewrite definitions. Doing so will give a context within which we can define our experiences -- this is very self-empowering.

I don't believe, as brede said, that a woman necessarily has to be all frills and lace to be feminine. Being strong, assertive, and comfortable in her own skin and with her womanhood -- at least to me -- are what makes her feminine. It's more a question of how she perceives and carries herself.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM   #5
MintyFemme2

Being feminine is not all about what you wear in my opinion. I think femininty is more then just clothes, hair, manners, make-up etc ; it is a combination and more.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM   #6
MintyFemme2

(((((((((((((((((WA)))))))))) you must have been posting at the same time I was. You said what I wanted to say but more elquently
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM   #7
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

{{{ Minty }}} thanks. I probably was writing as you were. I've been deliberating this question for a while, actually. Only just now did I figure out <i>how</i> I wanted to say it.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM   #8
IRISH_EYES_99

Feminine

What an exciting word. being feminine is about being yourself. Being able to dress in whatever fashion you are comfortable with, what suits the occasion. It's being able to balance your life. And if you find you can't at times, well that's ok too. Feminine can be ladylike, or bitchy. It's being in charge of your life. Being informed, being aware. It's not taking life for granted, but playing a role. Having something to say even if others don't always agree. Knowing who you are and what you stand for. Taking charge of your life, your body, your health. Knowing your limits pushing them more.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM   #9
MintyFemme2

(((((((((IRISH))))) you bithcy???? Not our
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:34 PM   #10
IRISH_EYES_99

((((((( Minty))))))))
Never said " I" was personally. LMBO
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #11
IRISH_EYES_99

Wear Red Day :) Women and Hearts :)

Feb 4, 2005 Today is Wear Red Day.. show the power of being a woman and be in charge of your "Heart" Get informed on Heart Disease and Women .

Are you aware Cardiovascular Disease claims more women's lives than the next seven causes of death combined. About 500,000 women's lives a year is claimed by this disease.

It is preventable so understanding these serious health threats can make a life saving difference.
While there is a lot of info out there there still needs to be more research done about heart disease in women,

So women educate yourself and your family. Find out what preventive methods you can take to keep your heart ticking.

By exercising reg. eating healty, selecting nutrious food, and knowing and loving your body by taking care of it can save your life.

When you go for your physicals ( I hope you do that) ask your doctor to do a cardiogram, and let you know what measures you can take for yourself to prevent having heart disease.

DO IT FOR YOURSELF YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #12
LiamFan!

Dang...I forgot. I did have a red stripe in my sweater today, though!
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #13
IRISH_EYES_99

woohoo ((((((LiamFan))))))) there you go lol. You were covered.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #14
rjsfeminist

I hadn't really been aware of Wear Red Day until the beginning of the month. Is it a fairly new thing?

I am aware, however, of International Women's Day (March 8).
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:15 AM   #15
brede
my new motorcycle

I've never heard of Wear Red day. That's such a good idea. I have made several changes in my life to improve my heart health recently and I'm actually able to tell a difference! My stamina seems to be improving daily.