Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Hobbies and Leisure Activities > TV & Movies

Old January 12th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #136
LiamFan!

Wow, Melynn. What an insightful post!

When you said that seeing that one film was saving you thousands in therapy bills...I felt the same way when my son watched the recent PBS special about Lance Loud's death. To see a man, near death, talk about shooting speed for 20 years, and about having knowingly shot up rat poison, then look at the camera and say -- very honestly and matter-of-factly -- 'not a very bright thing to do,' was worth years of DARE propaganda.
Old January 12th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #137
Melynn
Queen Goddess

I don't understand it Liam. We know from our own kids that the more matter of fact, honest and truthful presentation of information gives an education that no propaganda can. The statistics are out there from programs themselves. Why is it that in most cases the honest information is deemed unsuitable for viewing? Why is it, that the very information that can make a difference is the information that many people try to keep hidden, or at least keep away from kids? It seems to me that in this culture, we do things ass backwards.
Melynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 02:13 AM   #138
Melynn
Queen Goddess

Hurray for Golden Globe Winner musical or comedy CHICAGO!
Hurray for Golden Globe Winner drama THE HOURS!
Hurray for Golden Globe Winner foreign picture TALK TO HER!!!!

Three of my very favorite movies this year! Yea! Yea! Yea! :-D
Old January 20th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #139
Terri

Melynn, we went to see Catch Me If You Can this weekend. It was wonderful. My emotions ran a gamut from hilarity to extreme sadness for that young man. Anyway I love Leonardo more than ever now!
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #140
topsinapod

It's because for whatever reason, society can't face the cold hard facts and think that sugar coating is needed. I would like to have kids sit down with the junkies I drive to the Methodone clinics. They would see a world they never realized truly existed.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #141
topsinapod

I'm sorry that wasn't a movie post. This is my first visit to this folder but I believe I will be looking in more here. Believe it or not, we have no idea what to watch for movies. I bet we have only gone to a couple in the last year. What we usually do is rent them so this will be good for me.
topsinapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #142
Melynn
Queen Goddess

No need to be sorry topsinapod. We've been known to get off topic before.<g>

This is a great folder. One of my favorites as you can tell from my constant and sometimes annoying posts in here.<g>
Old January 27th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #143
annebebe

Sorry for boring everyone who thinks this is too old to mention, but I saw The Electric Horseman last night for the first time ever.
Maybe it was just my mood by I found it really good. The balance seemed just right, and it must have something for a horse to upstage Fonda and Redford
....and the quote for me? "Tomorrow, don't take notes"!
Old February 1st, 2003, 03:53 PM   #144
sunflower

The Banger Sisters

I watched this movie last night.
Not recommended for children. But this movie had me ROFL. It is a must to see for women as its about two friends.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 08:54 AM   #145
Terri

I didn't like Banger Sisters. I went to see Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, thinking it might be interesting. Thumbs down.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:54 PM   #146
sunflower

I didn't like Cofessions of a dangerous mind either. And of course the Banger sisters is not for everyone.(old habits die hard)
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 04:08 PM   #147
GertieWOW
WOW Host

I just watched The Good Girl. I can't say that I liked it, can't say that I didn't. Jennifer Aniston was good though. I suppose it was a little too fatalistic for my tastes. :\
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:53 PM   #148
Melynn
Queen Goddess

You're not alone Gertie. I do love that movie, it's on my ever growing list of favorites. But, you certainly aren't the first person that I've heard say they really weren't sure what to make of it.

I watched the Jennifer Aniston commentary on the DVD. She said that she was asked by someone what the movie was. They said, it's too comedic to be a tragedy and too tragic to be a comedy. What is it? She said her only answer was, it's just life.

I thought that was a very apt description. Incredibly dysfunctional and slightly bizarre, but life just the same.

Also, the "bible study" guy, played by Mike White, is the one who wrote it. They shot the movie very quickly in something like 33 days. Just some bits of trivia in case you're ever on Jeopardy. <g>

Igby Goes Down is coming out on disc Tuesday. I love Igby. More dysfunction with incredible, phenomenal acting.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 10:49 PM   #149
LiamFan!

oooh....I'm looking forward to Igby!
Old February 5th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #150
annebebe

I agree with, Terri, and don't recommend Banger Sisters. A poor relation of T+L - which was just too good to be challanged!