Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Violence Against Women

View Poll Results: Would you take a self defense clas?
Yes - great idea! 4 100.00%
Maybe - If I have time. 0 0%
No - I don't think it would work anyway. 0 0%
No - Nothing's ever going to happen to me. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM   #1
Fightback2

Question Self Defense Classes?

What first comes to mind when you hear "Women's Self Defense class"? Would you take a class? If no, why not?
Fightback2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM   #2
pegasus
, a gr8 peer support

well for some reason i cannot vote on anything in WOW so, if u would add a "yes - great idea" to it i would appreciate it. When i think of ^^^ that phrase i think of 2 things, first: karate which is both gr8 excersize as well as gr8 defense, and i also think of those classes designed for womens defense against muggers and stuff.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:19 PM   #3
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

don't usually endorse anything unless I myself have used it or seen it for myself. I can say with great conviction that R.A.D. -- the <a href="http://www.rad-systems.com/" target="_blank" style="color: red; text-decoration: underline">Rape Aggression Defense System</a> -- is a wonderful program. I encourage women to look for programs in their area. Lobby your community group or organization, workplace, student government, YWCA or gym to bring a program to your area.

Unless the stipulations have changed, once you've successfully completed a R.A.D. program, you have lifetime eligibility for any refresher courses (at no charge, if memory serves). Do inquire.
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #4
brede
my new motorcycle

I have been assaulted 3 times in my life (raped twice). I swore that it would never happen again. I took martial arts classes for 2 years, and then I had a personal trainer (a retired world ranked kickboxer) who worked with me on kick boxing and self defense that really works. I highly recommend getting some kind of training.

Our local police run self defense classes every few months that are free.

And I know that some will disagree, but we do have two hand guns in the house and I've been nicknamed Annie Oakley for how well I shoot.

Two giant size dogs are a great deterent as well.
Old November 14th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #5
MintyFemme2

(((((((((Brede)))))))) Two big dogs seems like a good deterent I agree. If you are comfortable and know how to shoot a gun I won't argue with you on your right to have a gun. I don't like guns myself and feel if I had a gun in my house it would be a disaster. I do feel if I had to use a weapon I could use the aluminum bat I have . My biggesst and most powerful weapon of cousre is my mouth LOL.
Seroiusly taking a self defense course is a great idea.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM   #6
brede
my new motorcycle

Sorry to be so slow to get back to the board. Greg's Dad is like a little void that is sucking me dry.

I NEVER want to use a gun against another person! However, a bullet is faster than a speeding aluminum bat! LOL! I qualify for sharp shooter with the sheriff's dept., so I always hit what I'm aiming at.

You have young kids at home. When Pirate was home, all guns and rifles were disabled with ammo in a locked box. Then he came home one summer after visiting with his father and brought a bag of "brass shells" that his father let him pick up at a shooting range. Pirate just dumped it out on the terrazo floor. Hubby freaked, being as well trained as he is, the first thing he saw was live ammunition. Pirate immediately got lessons on ammunition and his first trip to the range. Pirate fired the .357 once, it scared him so much that he wanted to leave the range. Which was exactly what we wanted to have happen.

One thing that you have to get over while taking self defense courses is: it is okay to hurt someone else. I think women, as a stereotype, don't want to hurt anyone. But, if you or Salvie are being attacked, you do what you have to do.
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Fightback2

OK. I finally made it back. You're right Brede about the first thing women have to get over is our phobia about hurting another person. We also have to get over our embarassment about making a scene.

If we are defending our children we will fight to the death but we won't fight to defend ourselves. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

About guns. I won't argue the right to carry but I would suggest thinking long and hard about using that as your ONLY means of self defense.

#1. If you're carrying it in your purse you have to get it out of there.
#2. It can be taken away from you.
#3. Handguns aren't very accurate which is why sharpshooters on the police force and in the military use rifles.

So be sure to learn some good hand-to-hand skills (it's not just for Marines anymore ;-)).
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #8
gris sky

a Self Defense Classes waw if only i can found 1 here 4 women ..beleive e it'll be verry helpfull 4 me and i'm sure 4 all women at least it give me a lot of "assurence" and i'll not always afraid of anything and all persons even i hade it well ..i have made some judo when i was a verry little girl but i 4get and this kind of sports need practice..why why remembring me thing i hav'n or i can't do and wich can be helpfull 2 me..what 2 say bad world where we live..
gris sky is offline   Reply With Quote