Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Violence Against Women

Old November 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #1
kiyoung80

Scott Peterson case closed!

I'm sooo happy to hear this case is finally over!!! The only part I'm really waiting for is to hear the judge sentence Laci's husband from hell to life in jail. What does everyone think is going to happen?

My roommate is sick of it already, but since the judge is only giving two hours notice once the jury has a verdict, I've been spending a lot of time watching Court TV (they have the best coverage of the trial, in my opinion.) A talk radio station in my city, 770AM, also have been discussing the case quite frequently.

I just can't take another OJ walking the streets...

Kimberly
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #2
DLC55
You owe me for this!

Considering the jury is possibly at a deadlock? Even if you agree he's guilty, the prosecution didn't have much of a case against him other than he's a heel. They haven't really linked any evidence against him in her murder.
DLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #3
MintyFemme2

Well it is over! I think the media is to involved in criminal cases. I think we need to know about crime don't get me wrong. But I don't think criminals deserve to get "15 minutes of fame" over and over. I know we will probably hear more of what kind of a man Scott Peterson is during the penalty phase.. in my opinion we'll hear more then we need to know.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #4
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

I couldn't agree with you more, Minty.

When I think back to the coverage of the Columbine High School Massacre, it sickens me to think that everyone remembers the names Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Those two don't deserve the fame/notoriety.

How many people can list off the names of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre#Victims" target="_blank" style="color: red; text-decoration: underline">13 fatalities and 23 injured</a>? I'm willing to wager not that many of us, regrettably.

While violent crime is down, I heard recently a statistic that alleges reporting of violent crime is up 600 per cent. I hate to say it, but the attitude "if it bleeds, it leads" seems to be what's selling news and guiding media franchises.

Makes you sick -- sadly, stories of hope and cats rescued from a tree or dogs pulling babies from a burning building just don't seem to cut it. (And even if they did, would anyone remember the puppy's/kitty's name? Probably not.)

*Hops off the soapbox now.*
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #5
IRISH_EYES_99

Sensationalism - Journalism !!!!!
That seems to be the way they get their stories. There are many, many "cute", "funny", "life at it's best" stories. They don't cut it because they don't sensationalize!!
Sad statement when you think about it.

I've thought for years, wouldn't it be nice to see happy heardlines. Ex: Do you know how many school children are involved with bringing, books, games, shaving gear, etc to your local Veterans Hospital or Nursing Home?
Today the teachers and students of "name" school wrote cards to families of yong people serving our country? Local family donates time to habitat for humanity and paints the house. Or Family loses loved one the neighbors pulled together and paid for the services when they found out they had no insurance.

Stories like those should be headliners.
Not just the bad news all news.

sigh! I'm doing it again. changing nic to Chatty IRISH_EYES_
That is what we should see in the headlines.
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #6
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

If it helps, IRISH_EYES, I agree with you 100%.

{{{ hug }}}
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7
MintyFemme2

(((((((((((((IRISHEYES)))))))) Well said! Sallvie is starting to get to the age where is thinking about other. Last month his school joined with a local news team and collected canned non perishable food for the needy. Sallvie came home and said "mom I want a non perishable can of food to put in kcra 3 container so we can help some one eat." Now this month he is wanting to get a hold of News 10 and have them bring their containers out for the coat run for kids they do every year. I would rather see a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds being goofy when being interviewed for their good deeds then to hear about how some husband beat and killed his wife and kids.
/me gets a litle chatty herself.. just call me MouthyMinty
Old November 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #8
Dannie
Lifes A Bitch Then U Die

Omg I am so happy this is over with i got tired fo hearing about it over and over...it sicken me how the news is about this....i think there is more important things in the world then this...it sad that it happen but we dont need to hear about it everyday...
Dannie is offline   Reply With Quote