Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Life's Transitions

Old January 12th, 2001, 09:50 PM   #1
AuntieWOW

What has surprised you most about living on your own? What do you like about it? What do you like least?
AuntieWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2001, 09:53 PM   #2
Muskrat

Cool hehehe

I liked being able to walk around nekkid D

No sharing pizzas either LOL

LTNS Auntie!
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:16 PM   #3
DACDjr
Senior Memeber

To tell you the truth....

I lived with my mom until I was 15, then moved in with my husband for almost 10 years.

All my life I have been co-dependent. And did not know what I would do if I lost my husband. Well know I know..

After 9 years of marriage we went our seperate ways. I am now a single mom of two. Working and to tell ya the truth it is hard being on my own for the first time in my life!

I don`t think as children we are taught the values of being on our own. Our parents try to enforce how hard it will be ect. But never actually taught how stressful it would be.

In the last 3 months of my life (Since the divorce) My life has been turned upside down and I had to make the choice to grow up and depend on myself, `cause now my children depend of just me. Life is not a bag of M-n-M`s you DON`T know what you will get.

The choices we make in life are not always planned out right. Our dreams are not always going to come true!

Hugs
Daccie
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #4
annebebe

Just saw this thread now, and hope it's not too late to add a quip!
I have not married, and only shared for a short while. I love my own space, and really enjoy evolving it. My little apartment is my hobbie! I adore visitors and have an open door policy, but when they are gone it's MY home again

Oh, and I have my hairbrush and lots of music! And WOW of course, lol
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #5
nurbisa

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntieWOW
What has surprised you most about living on your own? What do you like about it? What do you like least?
I've been living independently since I was thirteen ( did 6 years at the boarding school considered? )
I lived on my own a year after I graduated from high school. A few times I shared the flat with other girls and it was disaster. I lost my privacy, I lost my personal belongings, and I lost my sanity because I couldn't stand living around nasty individual.
I was hit hard when I moved out and lived by myself because all the household expenses. But I will never trade it with anyhing because the freedom I have is unbelieveable.And the peaceful mind is unexchangeable
nurbisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Raine
Southern Belle w/Attitude

The thing that suprised me when I first moved out on my own was how much I relied on my parents. I was in college, renting a house 350 miles away from them, but I'd call for anything from asking how to cook something to asking my dad about a car repair or how to make something. I didn't even do that when I lived at home.

What I liked the most was the freedom to do what I wanted, with no curfews or people to ask questions about where I was going, who I was with, etc, or complain about my clothes, makeup, etc.

What I liked least was the amount of responsibility I was hit with all of a sudden, without really being ready for it, and how all of those bills and work/school commitments really limited that newfound freedom.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #7
LiamFan!

I'm laughing my you-know-what off over those blinking goblin eyes up there! ROFL!!!!

I was going to delete them, but they're too funny to delete.

You know what I remember about moving out on my own? The first trip to the grocery store and thinking...I can buy ANYTHING I WANT.

I bought those Pinwheel cookies...the marshmallow with chocolate on top. LOL. Every once in awhile, I buy those just to reexperience that wonderful feeling of being ON MY OWN.
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #8
brede
my new motorcycle

I don't know what this says about me: on my first solo grocery trip I bought a case of beer! LOL! And a giant bag of M&M's! I don't buy the beer anymore and my taste in candy has changed, but every once in a while I buy Russell Stover truffles. I reexperience that same feeling. I swear stuff like that is what keeps the heart and mind young. I've given up on the body!!! LOL!

Being on my own was wonderful, both as a college student and as a single parent. My mom used to carp at me that I couldn't do anything right. Being the stubborn mule that I am, I refused to call my parents and got books that taught me how to fix or make anything. Of course, I messed up, but I was satisfied that I had tried.

Liam, those eyes are great! I recently downloaded something other than MS Internet Explorer at Pirate's recommendation. I didn't know that any of the pictures, etc. moved! I've been having a great time looking at the avatar's. I really like Tango's!