Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Lesbians Online

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Ayla

Canadian Gay Rights bill passes first reading

Hello everyone,

I have fantastic news. As of 9:00pm EST Canada's MP's voted 164 to 132 in favour of the first reading of our Gay Rights bill.

You can read more about how this bill came to be by going to http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/samesexrights/

The end result seems inevitable but is not set in stone. There is a second reading that must pass as well as the federal senate vote. I would like to think that the other votes will go through without issue but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

This is one more giant step toward equal rights for all canadians.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2
jkearns4949

That is great news. Maybe the U.S. will take the hint!
jkearns4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #3
MintyFemme2

((((((((((((((((AYALA))))))))))) Awesome news! Californoa courta are battling over that now. Last I heard SanFransisco court said that there was nothing in the Constitution that prohibbited Same Sex Marriages. But the battle goes on . Of course dear Shrub ( Duyba) is trying still yet to get the Cnotstitution to have an amendment that would make marriage only between man and woman.
Old April 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Ayla

Hey Minty

I hear that Oregon has made their Nolma County officiates destroy 3000 marriage licences they have issued to same sex couples. Same sort of situation as with San Francisco it seems......... thinking that no single municipality or county has the right to make those decisions.

Here in Canada our biggest battle will be with the provincial government of Alberta. They are determined to do whatever it takes to not have to abide by the fed's ruling. This is sad but funny in a way since the fed's create the law but the provinces issue the licenses.

One step at a time I suppose eh.
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #5
MintyFemme2

Ayla sometimes I wonder if the Federal Goverment knows what the State Goverment is doing and vice versa! Ca and a few other states have Domestic Partnership Right which gives couple who are registered same benefits as Married couple but only on the state level. Personally I dont's see why some one who wants a Domestic Partnership can't get a Civil Marriage with the cermony and all but the few Right Wing creeps have to have their voices heard over the majority I reckon. One day ALL PEOPLE will be equal in Canada, United States, China, The United Kingdom and every where I keep telling myself.
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #6
Addie

Ah yes, but Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions are proof that states know exactly what the federal government is doing. And, in this political climate, the federal government will continue to challenge states' rights, which is rather ironic, considering that the Republicans were originally the champions of state' rights.

The rights afforded the parties in both a Civil Union and Domestic Partnerships are on a state level only. The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has seen to that and explains why the word marriage can't be used.

Although California's Domestic Partnership Act isn't enough, it is a step in the right direction. When it all seems so frustrating that you want to scream, remember that it wasn't until 1967 that interracial marriage was allowed in all 50 states. 1967!!! DOMA will face the same challenges and will eventually be tossed on its ear in much the same way, I'm sure of it.

One positive note... California's Domestic Partership Act also allows opposite sex couples over 62 to partner. This allows them to maintain their full social security benefits. So, yea for that...
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Ayla

Here in Canada our federal and provincial governments have each recognized same-sex partners in common-law relationships for quite some time along with health and other insurance providers. I don't think we have the same issue here.

The issue for us, along with legalizing same sex-marriages, is to change the language of our laws so that they are more inclusive. Over the last 8 years or so the old laws have just been applied to us. Some laws have undergone a "massage" of the language but not the significant ones.

Still a form of second-class citizenship when your own government recognizes your partnership according to taxes but won't change the language to reflect the same.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #8
julesingresham

Ayla- I live here in Oregon and in the county that destroyed those 3,000 marriage licences. I was sad to hear that happened. It would be nice if someday same sex marriages would be allowed but we seem to have many people who don't want that to happen. The county I live in has a lot of voting power as it's the biggest. They also passed a law in Oregon to put in the constitution that marriage is only between heterosexual couples.
julesingresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM   #9
Ayla

julesingresham - It sickens and saddens me that after all other struggles have occured we are still having to battle for our rights as if we lived in the stone age. I'm proud of the strides being made in my country but even so think the events of today should have been dealt with a long time ago.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #10
Ayla

Today is a great day for Canadians. The bill has now passed the 3rd reading with a vote of 158 to 133. Next step is the senate. Normally the senate vote is a formality. This means that by the end of the summer Canada may well be the 3rd country in the world to fully recognize same sex unions!
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #11
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

Cool! I'm also impressed that our mayor supported Pride Week while the former mayor did not -- it took a petition to the Human Rights Commission to get Council to reverse the decision.

Then again, he is our <i>former</i> mayor.

Positive changes... A little at a time, but better than nothing.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #12
MintyFemme2

Ayla, that is so cool! I am happy for you. Calif seems to be doing a dance around the marriage issue. The Supreme Court says that banning Gay and Lesbian marriages is against the Constitution but the State Goverment says the voters have made their choice. I think that the Goverment ( State and Federal) shouldn't decide what love is acceptable in the eyes of the law as long as two people love each other and aren't hurting any one else.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #13
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

Couldn't agree with you more, Minty, but Arnie doesn't like "girlie men"

(Okay, sorry, but I just couldn't resist...)

Put another way, he's very very conservative in his views, and while the polls say he is losing popularity, there are nevertheless many who feel as he does. Stupid, in my view, because I think as you do: as long as two people are committed to one another and aren't hurting anyone, why can't the world rejoice in their union and just leave them alone???!
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM   #14
Ayla

I'm curious about how the US government is reacting to the activities of their northern neighbour. Are they wondering how our activity is going to affect them? When we were considering decriminalizing marajuana I know the US gov just freaked.

On the legalization bandwagon now is Spain. It seems they waited for Canada's decision before pushing their own bill through!
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #15
Ayla

Alright folks the news is................

Canada has officially and completely legalized same sex marriage!

Due to Canada's parlaimentary procedures, Spain (although passing their bill after we did) became the 3rd country and Canada only the 4th to legalize same sex marriage. The final step is today where the crown (Governer General) signs off on the bill. We have finally joined the ranks of Sweeden and the Neatherlands.