Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Violence Against Women

Old October 27th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
tonigirl22

afraid..are peeping toms dangerous

hey...I'm a young female living alone with my 4 year old son...and i only lived here at this apartment for a year now. anyway...today i caught this big guy staring at me, through his window...now his window and building is about 25 feet away..but it scares me// i dont know how long he's been doing this...and i'm afraid because all i can think about is what if he comes up my fire escape and brakes in???? i cant even sleep at night, i jump at every noise. i had my shades halfway open, and so he was just looking in..and the other day i caught someone in my building right next door looking i my window...but manager said it was a lady cause she's the only one that lives there//well i know alot of people here sneak men in to live, and just dont put them on the lease..anyway..do u think the big guy looking in here, could be dangerous, i fear being here alone with my child.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #2
firewife2104

tonigirl22

Toni,

I would deffinatly report that to the police. They need to know that just in case he does try something.

Always be aware of your suroundings.

One other thing, I would check on is to see if you can find out where he lives for sure, like his address and find out what his name is.
Make sure you give that to the police.

And one thing I would do with that info is look it up on the web to see if hes been convicted of a crime or a sexual preditor. I would find out everything I could.

Depending on what state you live in, most have a department of corrections website and/or a preditor list.

Good Luck and keep us updated!
firewife2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #3
firewife2104

Toni,

One more thing. If you are really that scared of being alone with your baby. Go to WalMart or somewhere and get you a can of mace and keep a BIG KNIFE handy.
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4
IRISH_EYES_99

Hi toni welcome to the WOW boards.

Depending on the state. Some states you have to get a permit to carry mace.

As a tenant you have rights too. The right to safety, the right to privacy, the right to not be harrassed, etc. If this character is in fact a "peeping tom" you have to report for your safety and that of your child's.

firewife is absolutely right. Check out the websites in your area that list sexual preditors. Check out any of the pictures they show to see if you can identify this charactor.

Tell your landlord (lady) that you are putting them on notice, you reported this incident to them. If they choose not to check it out, and anything happens to either you are your son they will be held responsible. That aught to get them thinking a little clearer. Do report it.
Do keep a list of times etc that you noticed this charactor checking your apartment out.

As firewife said be aware of your surroundings. Not to the point of being paranoid.
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #5
firewife2104

I wish people who post messages like that would come back with an update. I have read so many messages on here where they cry for help and then never come back to let us know if they are ok.
Hope all is well Toni.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
MintyFemme2

Firewife, it would be nice to get an update but sometimes just seeing posts like that is like a wake up call to remind us of what we are doing right to protect ourselves or what we need to do that we aren't.
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #7
firewife2104

Exactly. And thank god that we are not in that position
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM   #8
MisFitLady

Re: afraid..are peeping toms dangerous

Quote:
Originally posted by tonigirl22
hey...I'm a young female living alone with my 4 year old son...and i only lived here at this apartment for a year now. anyway...today i caught this big guy staring at me, through his window...now his window and building is about 25 feet away..but it scares me// i dont know how long he's been doing this...and i'm afraid because all i can think about is what if he comes up my fire escape and brakes in???? i cant even sleep at night, i jump at every noise. i had my shades halfway open, and so he was just looking in..and the other day i caught someone in my building right next door looking i my window...but manager said it was a lady cause she's the only one that lives there//well i know alot of people here sneak men in to live, and just dont put them on the lease..anyway..do u think the big guy looking in here, could be dangerous, i fear being here alone with my child.
A Peepin Tom is just the slower version of a rapist, or an abuser. Most men, or rather shall I say abusers, cause abusers can even be women, alothough I feel its more likely to be a man. As I was sayin, most men who rape start outs as Peepin Toms.
Peepin Toms or doin what they do IS against the LAW. Call your local Police Dept and file a report, ANYTIME it happens and EVERYTIME it happens. Sure it may be no big deal, but whether its a man or a woman no one has any right to watch you or make you uneasy.
Someone mentioned keeping a bottle of MACE around or Pepper Spray, yes its a great IDEA. Make sure you lock your doors every night. If you are prone to having your windows open make sure that if you do put a tick in your windo so that if you have them open and someone trys to come in it gives them a harder fight with opening the window to get in.
Hope it helps,
Always,
MisFitLady
MisFitLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Clarese

Your concern about a peeping tom is a valid one. All women need to be aware of the dangers men present in our lives. When you are home at nite prop the back of a sturdy chair against the the door knob, this keeps the door from being opened. Make sure all windows and sliding glass doors have wooden dowels wedged in place to keep them from being pryed open. If you see this peeping tom, peeping take a picture of him with a flash, so he knows you have him on film. If he should ask you about it, tell him what you do is none of his business. Our on going patriarchal society has taught men not to respect women. Men violate your personal boundries because they don't respect you. Do what you can to protect yourself and your son. This weirdo next door is only one of millions of men out there waiting to prey on a vulnerable woman or child. Pray for protection, ask your guides and angels to protect you and child. Don't let it make you crazy, remember predators can sense fear. Take several deep breaths and have a good nite sleep. Good men are almost impossible to find, but I wish you all the best, trust your insticts.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #10
naly90

iam afraid to childhood
naly90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #11
polkadot_eyes

i have a peeping tom

i need help, i have thie teenage boy looking through my window. He confessed to it, my sister had a talk with him and he said he would not do it again, that was 2 weeks ago. Just last night i couldn't sleep, i felt something weird like someone was looking at me. So i just went to my sister's room to sleep with her. I blocked the area off with a big heavy table, and another table on top of that. In the morning when i was leaving to work I saw that the tables were taken down and left on the side. I need help what should i do to protect myself against this from happening, i called the police three times and talking to this person does not help. i need some advise. Please anyone Help.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #12
rosannehow

I would think you need to call the police again and tell them what is happening. Wht he is now doing verges on stalking and that's a different thing completely. Call the police.
rosannehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #13
crazymomma
awesome cookie lady

I hope you don't live in an area like I just moved from. A dear friend of mine is being stacked by her ex-boyfriend. The cops say as long he doesn't touch her they can't do anything!! Hello, she even has pictures of him!!! Still they do nothing! They even told her to stop calling of [u]SHE[u] WOULD BE ARRESTED!!! How do you like that she lives in fear and they tell her don't call use! So much for serve and protect!!! So, my dear best of luck.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #14
rosannehow

And about the lady who peeks in your window. It does not matter what sex she is nor where she lives. She has no business lookingi n yourwindows. The super should defintiely do something about that.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #15
rosannehow

crazymomma. tell her to find out if her state has a law against stalking - most states do anymore. Go to your library and look up laws foryour state or contact a lawyer to determine if stalking is against the law and what is required to bring action.