Old September 9th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #31
LiamFan!

Oops...link's not working...
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #32
brede
my new motorcycle

Try this one:

www.floridatoday.com

Go to the storm photos and look at central brevard, reader submitted and aerial beach. Shoot, they're all interesting.
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #33
rjsfeminist

Charley was originally scheduled to hit Tampa Bay before it decided to hit south of here...We had some heavy rains, winds, but nothing horrendous.

With Frances, we were without power for a little over 6 hours, while people on the next street over were without power for several days.

We're keeping an eye on Ivan, but it looks like where we are (Tampa bay area) will be spare a hit.
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #34
brede
my new motorcycle

I am so glad that Ivan went so far west and spared the rest of FL. I have a friend in the Tampa area who's about to drop from the stress. Well, she does tend to get overexcited about things anyway. But, I was really worried about her health as she has something wrong with her lungs.

We are also being spared the direct hit. So prayers are answered for us, but not others. No one wins with hurricanes.
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #35
rjsfeminist

You're so right, Brede--no one wins with hurricanes. Although the early chart for Jeanne (? -- the one after Ivan) looks like it might head out into the Atlantic. Who know, though.

I'm glad Ivan'll miss hitting where you are. Are you going to stay put, or will you be evacuating, just in case?

AFA your friend in Tampa: I can understand having the jitters. Everyone in our neighborhood seems to be a little on edge. (We're in Pinellas County, literally across Tampa Bay from Tampa. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get from our house to two of the bridges from Pine. Co. to Tampa.)

I guess when you get right down to it, every place has something to put people on edge: up north, there's the threat of blizzards, in Kansas, etc., there's the threat of tornados, in California, it's earthquakes--and you get very little warning for them.

I think an "almost-Hurricane" party is in order!
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #36
brede
my new motorcycle

Yeah, but if you live in Kansas you might get to go to Oz. The only thing a tornado will do for me is get me to the tornado connection point to Oz in Kansas!

We are staying put. Well, we are going to the Mall a mile away. We aren't even under evacuation orders here. We are going to hang out with the Sheriff Dept, Fire Dept. and other mall management families. Party Party!
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #37
rjsfeminist

Hey, Brede, I wouldn't mind the Oz connection! LOL. How'd ya fare with Ivan?
Old September 20th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #38
brede
my new motorcycle

Well, I'm finally back online, have phone, power and cable tv. Still have to boil water and conserve water as there is something wrong with the sewage system. I finally broke down and hired someone to clean up the mess in my yard since Greg has been working 12 hour days. The curfew for our area was lifted yesterday.

Thanks to Ivan's little jog to the east at the 11th hour, we got the Category 4 part of the storm. That big north east section of the storm that hit before the eye wall (Cat 3 by when it hit Mobile), just slammed Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa County. We live in Okaloosa. There was a barge in the middle of downtown Fort Walton Beach the morning after the storm. Some of the photos you see with big dunes and water behind them are misleading if you don't know the area. All that sand is supposed to be on the Gulf side, not the bay side.

We went to the mall and stayed with the firemen and EMTs from all of south Okaloosa County. It was scary, and this is from a seasoned hurrican person. They lost some of their roof.

We came home to no damage to the roof and the windows were just fine. I did invest in a new roof that meets current hurricane standards, and the windows are the kind that will withstand a 2x4 shot at 149mph at it. Money well spent since our hurricane deductible would have been over $2,500.

So we survived, but I'm absolutely exhausted. I'll be back tomorrow to post again.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #39
LiamFan!

Wow, good move replacing the roof and windows, brede! Glad to hear you came out of it without too much damage.
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM   #40
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

amen to that Liam!! Welcome back brede!! Missed ya!!!!
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM   #41
MintyFemme2

It sounds like you were one of the lucky few brede for whick we are greatfull for. WOW that is a big deduction! (((((((((((((((BREDE)))))))) I hope the firemen were nice to you. I have a friend who lives in FL who got hit pretty bad by Frances . She didn't have any electricity for days. She went down to her local fire dept and offered to exchange a whole bag of galavia (sp) coffee for just one cup of reg. coffee and the fire men flat out refused.
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:12 PM   #42
brede
my new motorcycle

The firemen really like us. They have to work with my husband on a daily basis and the various fire chiefs are all buddies with him. They also know me from various ambulance rides I've taken with them. I'm surprised they wouldn't make the trade. Plus, I helped them figure out how to get a coffee maker to work at the mall using power off of one of the fire engines.

Hurricane Insurance (known as Wind and Hail) has a 2.5% deductible based on the value of your house. I think the $200 we spent to have the yard cleaned up because of all the broken tree limbs is our only out of pocket expense.
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:26 PM   #43
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

Awesome Brede!! Could have been much worse. I'm so glad ya'll are doing ok!

(((((((((((((((BREDE))))))))))))))))))
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:41 PM   #44
brede
my new motorcycle

Thanks PBS, it is nice to be back and to have people happy to see me!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:21 PM   #45
MintyFemme2

I heard from my friend in Fl. Ivan didn't find her .. YEAH! She has her power back and water back. Even her poor doggie was traumatized by the recent hurricanes. The dog was drinking lots of water and going potty all over the place. She thought it might have diabetees so she took him to the vet. The vet tested and found nothing physically wrong she was told the dog probally is stressed because of the hurricanes.