Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > About Being a Woman > Life's Transitions

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:29 PM   #46
rjsfeminist

Hey, Brede, I'm glad you made it through all right, though I KNOW it was stressful. What a pain to have to boil your water for a while, but it sure beats the alternative.

I'll PM you in the a.m....but I wanted to let you know I'm glad you're all right.
rjsfeminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #47
brede
my new motorcycle

I think "midlife" is being a pain in the rump lately. I guess I'm just totally stressed out.
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #48
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

((((((((((((((((((((BREDE)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #49
brede
my new motorcycle

Has anyone heard from rjsfeminist? Jeanne went much further west than it was expected to. RJS is just west of Tampa, so may have gotten heavy rain and wind. It bypased us completely.

I'm still worried about all my friends in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral. There seems to be a news blackout. All I know is that they sent in a Search & Resuce group with cadaver dogs. That doesn't sound good to me. They may be there for 2 or 3 weeks.

I can't wait until this Hurrican season is over.
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #50
rjsfeminist

Hey, Brede, we made it through the hurricane a little worse for wear. I walked through the neighborhood yesterday morning; the worst damage (at least in our neighborhood) consisted of downed tree limbs and wooden fences.

The storm itself was pretty stressful. There were times when the rain was very nearly horizontal (now, THAT was a strange sight!) and we kept hearing loud CLUNKS on our roof and in the yard from falling branches. Our lights flickered a couple of times, but no actual power outages. (Well, with the exception of most of the street lights on our street. I called the power company last night, and they said they'd get to it when they could; considering there are people without power in their homes, I'm not gonna sweat a couple of street lights!)

The eye of the hurricane passed maybe 50 miles north of here; they thought it was going to be a little closer early Sunday morning. Ugh.

If ya look at a map of FL, when you find Tampa, we're in Pinellas county, which is that funky little peninsula just to the west of Tampa. (Tampa Bay on one side of us, the Gulf on the other.)

One of my sons mentioned watching the Tonight Show last night and seeing some footage from the local cable news channel, showing one of their news people getting blown around. One thing for sure...the local news people sure have been earning their paychecks and then some the past 6 weeks.
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #51
brede
my new motorcycle

Don't believe what you see about weather people being blown around. I was out in the midst of Ivan with 110mph steady winds and gusts they couldn't measure because the weather stations all blew down. I never once had to lean like Jim Cantore from the weather channel does! And I only weigh about 115!

Yes, the storm was bad, but the majoity of the damage came from the trees. And of course the high water which left boats all over town. The lost and found ads are a riot. Instead of pets, it is primarily boats! People have no idea where they went! There was a barge in downtown Ft. Walton Beach on the main highway right after the storm.

I'm still worried about all the people on the barrier islands in Brevard County. On Monday the were sending in search and rescue teams with cadaver dogs to try to find all those that are missing. I guess the people who stayed are confused about what the word "mandatory" means.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:18 PM   #52
rjsfeminist

Quote:
Originally posted by brede I guess the people who stayed are confused about what the word "mandatory" means. [/b]
I hear that. There were a few people in mobile home parks here in Pinellas County who didn't heed the mandatory evacuations and then later tried dialing 911 to have the fire department rescue them. They were told, basically, "We're sorry, we can't do it." Excuse me, but if the police or fire departments are telling me, "There's a hurricane coming and your area HAS to evacuate," I would give it some serious thought!

After Jeanne went through, one of the local TV stations mentioned that one or two of the counties even allow people to bring their pets along, as long as the pets are in carriers, with leashes, collars, etc. (in case they need to use a litter box or "whatever"). Seems like a common-sense approach, since I know most of us with pets don't want to leave our pets alone. (And the pet shelters do fill up quickly.)

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea to see if more counties can't do that.
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #53
brede
my new motorcycle

Totally agree. Some of the shelters will allow smaller animals, but my dogs are still pups and they are already over the weight limits. When we thought we were going to evacuate, I did a search for pet friendly hotels. There are tons of them. And when it finally reaches a dangerous point, some of no pets rules are just ignored. You can also ask for a room that is the the furthest away from everyone else and sneak them in. That would have worked with my old dog, but not now. I've got a bayer and a barker. No way on earth for people not to notice them.

I have heard from a couple Cocoa Beachers and I keep track by using the Florida Today newspaper site and the Orlando TV stations' web sites.

I am still stormed and stressed out. I'll survive anyway.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #54
brede
my new motorcycle

PS Our local fire depts and EMTs won't go out if the winds are over 50 mph. The great big hook and ladder trucks can go out at about 55 mph, but all the smaller ones have to wait until the winds drop below 50. And by smaller, I mean ambulances, rescue squads and the medium size trucks.

During Ivan, we stayed at the Mall (part of hubby's job) because that is where the fire depts and EMT's stay. Greg kept getting in the light weight truck and driving around the mall. One of the fire Captains (that I know well, because he keeps coming over to our house when I have to call 911) finally said to me: Whether he knows it or not that is his last trip. "I'll get the sheriff to arrest him for disobeying me if he tries again" I said (breathing a heavy sigh of relief) thank you. We also had a half dozen of so Sheriffs there since they have a substation at the mall.
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #55
rjsfeminist

I'm with you, Brede: I'm so over the hurricanes. The fact that it looks like we're finally going to have a second storm-free weekend in a row feels like a gift.

The only "good" thing is that we bought paper plates and styrofoam cups for several of the storms, then used them up over the next week or so. Hence, fewer dishes to wash!
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #56
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

I love doing that RJ!! specially on the weekends!!

We don't have a dishwasher, so we do dishes by hand and nights that we get a break... we all benefit. We'll play a game or something instead!!

It's been so quiet on here lately!! How've you been?

I've been adjusting to not having the b/f here...he is visiting family in TX. I spent the first two days wandering around wondering what the heck I was supposed to be doing...without him here the routine that we had fallen into the last year was MESSED UP! LOL!

Well, I'm back in "sinc" again...and took the day off to play with the kids. They are still sleeping the lazybones ... Think I'll go make breafast and wake them up!!

ttyl
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #57
brede
my new motorcycle

Well, Matthew isn't a hurricane, but he has a name and we are the projected land fall point. The ground is completely saturated, so any rain he brings won't be very welcome.

This has been the worst hurricane season. It seems that every storm made land fall or sat on places where there are people I know and love.

When will it be over?

Old October 9th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #58
WA114
www.womensweb.ca

{{{{{{{ brede }}}}}}} just because.

Miss you! xoxo
Old October 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #59
PoohsBigSister
Long Live WOW!!

((((((((((((((((((((Brede))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm praying for you and your loved ones hon...

keep your chin up.... it will end eventually!!
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #60
brede
my new motorcycle

Well, Matthew is proof, yet again, that storms should not be named until they are real hurricanes on the Safir-Simpson scale. And proof that forecast land falls is more on the guess than on what really happens.

Sat, Sun and today we have had nothing but a constant dizzle. My mistake, we did have one downpour this morning that came down so fast it flooded the streets. Five minutes later it was gone.

And I have gotten so messed up (mostly tired and depressed) that I would have a hard time telling anyone what month or season it currently is. I just looked at the posts and thought that Oct was such a long time ago.

That's why I'm trying to be completely selfish and just be a couch potato this week. (excuse me while I break up a huge puppy fight over a leaf)

My only goal for this week was to get my son a cell phone on our family plan with Verizon and make sure the bills are paid.

If I sound grouchy, I'm sorry. I just need a rest.

Does anyone else have verizon for a cell phone carrier? If so, their plans have changed and any verizon customer can call another verizon customer without having it count against your minutes no matter what the time of day. I have the plan where I can call Canada and all the US.